Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CONFIRMED: Alien films coming in 2010 to Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
259 replies to this topic

#21 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 09:00 AM

Quote:
I am in complete agreement with you here. In fact, as I typed my response above, I thought to myself, "Oh, my God I 'sound' like Paul_Scott".

From what I've seen I think you're still safe, Paul. But if you start to find yourself improperly and over-using ellipsis points...then you might need to worry

#22 of 260 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 09:19 AM

Quote:
Hopefully they can get Jim Cameron to approve a new transfer for Aliens.

I'd love for that to happen but someone will have to drag him away kicking and screaming from his Avatar and Battle Angel projects so we're looking at 2009/2010. I still can't believe there's no anamorphic versions of the Abyss and True Lies.
Death before Streaming!

#23 of 260 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,687 posts

Posted July 10 2007 - 02:28 PM

This would be great for Blu-ray and really anyone who likes HD. Alien & Aliens are classics. I'm in the HD DVD camp soley for now but truthfully, the studios need to release these big guns. I know it took some time for these to arrive on sd-dvd but the HD studios (ALL) need to start bringing in the big boys. Now.

David is right (this time Posted Image)....the last batch of Alien sd-dvds were pretty good. Strangely, it was the original Alien from 1979 that looked the best.

Gotta admit, it would be kind of cool to hear "Get away from her you BITCH!" in lossless sound. Posted Image

#24 of 260 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Graham
Hopefully they can get Jim Cameron to approve a new transfer for Aliens. That was the only real sore spot on the Quadrilogy..

I believe that "Aliens" will always going to look somewhat grainy and "dark".

Cameron explains in the audio commentary, that the film stock used at the time by Kodak was higher speed negative than before, which created a rather grainy and sometimes noisy picture. So, since HD has more detail-level/sharpness, "Aliens" will probably look even more "grainy" on HD than on SD DVD.. In some way.

"Quadrilogy" on HD would be awesome. Then again - if the extras are still in SD, then I´m not sure that do I need them "again"..

#25 of 260 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
I believe that "Aliens" will always going to look somewhat grainy and "dark".

Cameron explains in the audio commentary, that the film stock used at the time by Kodak was higher speed negative than before, which created a rather grainy and sometimes noisy picture. So, since HD has more detail-level/sharpness, "Aliens" will probably look even more "grainy" on HD than on SD DVD.. In some way.
Then again grain can often be rendered smaller in HD than in SD when it gets spread across more pixels. Of course, this assumes we get a transfer free of noise reduction, which we didn't before.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#26 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 06:51 AM

The problem with Aliens was that the DC made it a lengthy film- and that extra footage had to be on the same disc as the theatrical cut. If the feature had only been 90 minutes, they probably could have bumped up the bit rate more which would have accomodated the grainier elements better, with less of a need to soften them up.
I'm guessing that it was the visible grain structure coupled with a long run time and the multiple audio tracks, that neccessitated the application of DVNR.

I don't think people would have been any happier if the film had been split over two discs.

Is the noise reduction applied a the telecine phase, or at just prior to the compression? Would they have to strike a new transfer for it, or is all the information still there waiting to be better realized?

#27 of 260 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
Gotta admit, it would be kind of cool to hear "Get away from her you BITCH!" in lossless sound. Posted Image

Posted Image

Aliens is my all time fave movie and, if released, might be enough to turn me from HD-DVD only to Neutral! - Maybe Posted Image
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#28 of 260 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:07 AM

There is a problem with the Aliens Directors Cut. The DC was completed on NTSC video, so there is no HD version. They would have to go back and rescan all the material and then completely re assemble the movie from scratch. I don't know if this is what Fox has in mind or if they are just planning to release the Theatrical cut.

I would prefer to see the DC because I think it's a much better film.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#29 of 260 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:15 AM

Well Josh (beatboy from AVS) was just vindicated with his DC of TROY announcement that he had 12 days before other sites. He also does get all his BDs very, very early.

#30 of 260 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I would prefer to see the DC because I think it's a much better film.

Doug

Agreed. I think having Ripley's character be a mom who lost her kid ( due to floating out there for 57 years or so) makes the Newt connection much more powerful.

#31 of 260 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
Agreed. I think having Ripley's character be a mom who lost her kid ( due to floating out there for 57 years or so) makes the Newt connection much more powerful.

I also like the Colony sequence. It gives you an idea of what the Colony was like before the Alien attack. I think it give the later scenes a slightly different perspective when the Marines arrive. It also makes the pacing of the film more like the first one.

Doug

#32 of 260 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:38 AM

Quote:
Well Josh (beatboy from AVS) was just vindicated with his DC of TROY announcement that he had 12 days before other sites. He also does get all his BDs very, very early.

He appears to employ, what I like to refer to as, the "Throw a lot of crap against the wall and see what sticks approach". He also strikes me as the poster child for why BD supporters often seen in a negative light.

But that's really neither here nor there with regard to Alien or Aliens.

Here is something that is...

If this release sees the light of day anytime soon, I bet it is to tie into Aliens vs. Predator. So, I'm not getting my hopes up before summer time at the earliest, if that is when that flix is supposed to come out.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#33 of 260 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
There is a problem with the Aliens Directors Cut. The DC was completed on NTSC video, so there is no HD version. They would have to go back and rescan all the material and then completely re assemble the movie from scratch. I don't know if this is what Fox has in mind or if they are just planning to release the Theatrical cut.

Doug
Nope. That was the laserdisc. DVD was taken from re-scanned film elements. No technical probs in doing a new HD transfer free from DNR, as folk have mentioned above. The only obstacle would be Cameron himself taking the time to approve the new transfer.

Anyhoo, Alien looked superb on DVHS and I hope that the BD edition will top that. A new transfer of Aliens is a must though. And it'd be nice if the extended version of Alien3 got the final polish that it deserves, like having the iffy dialogue recordings re-done.

#34 of 260 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_D
Nope. That was the laserdisc. DVD was taken from re-scanned film elements. No technical probs in doing a new HD transfer free from DNR, as folk have mentioned above. The only obstacle would be Cameron himself taking the time to approve the new transfer.

Anyhoo, Alien looked superb on DVHS and I hope that the BD edition will top that. A new transfer of Aliens is a must though. And it'd be nice if the extended version of Alien3 got the final polish that it deserves, like having the iffy dialogue recordings re-done.

I had not heard that the DVD was created from new scans. Where did you hear that it had been recreated?

Doug

Edit: I just did some research and you are absolutely correct. The film elements were rescanned in High Def for the first DVD release.

#35 of 260 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
He appears to employ, what I like to refer to as, the "Throw a lot of crap against the wall and see what sticks approach". He also strikes me as the poster child for why BD supporters often seen in a negative light.

true but how else would he have gotten the Troy DC info...? That's really random to be just a "guess". He had the correct day as well.
He's obviously getting info. from someone, even if 1/2 of it doesn't come true.

#36 of 260 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_D

Well, unless Cameron is doing another damned underwater documentary, he should make the time! Loved "Ghosts..." "Aliens of the deep.." was starting to push it IMHO...

And yes, properly loop the A3 extended scene dialog and I would be chuffed.
I really liked the extended version...

Posted Image

#37 of 260 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 09:53 PM

Quote:
I also like the Colony sequence. It gives you an idea of what the Colony was like before the Alien attack. I think it give the later scenes a slightly different perspective when the Marines arrive. It also makes the pacing of the film more like the first one.

Doug

I personally don´t like the "Colony sequence" at the beginning. Scene reveals too much - too soon. Based again on the audio commentary, Cameron is feeling the same way (even when he generally prefers the "dir cut").

My review can be found here, if someone wants to read:
http://www.therewind....ic.php?p=73250

I quote myself: "I don´t really want to choose between the versions, since I enjoy them both". I honestly like both versions and in the end I can´t decide which one is the "ultimate version".

#38 of 260 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 11:21 PM

on thing the colony footage does is show the huge change in Newt's character though. In the theatrical cut, she's just some alomost mute shellshocked kid. By seeing her before the Aliens whooped ass, the contrast in striking.
I also thought the scenes of Newt's family finding the derelict ship were really creepy and had a very ALIEN vibe to them.

Posted Image

#39 of 260 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
on thing the colony footage does is show the huge change in Newt's character though. In the theatrical cut, she's just some alomost mute shellshocked kid. By seeing her before the Aliens whooped ass, the contrast in striking.

To me, the "introduction of Newt" works better in "Theatrical version", since there you have (indeed) that mute shellshocked kid, who has survived the attack(s) of Aliens, but first the audience (like the soldiers) doesn´t really know what´s going on (since she doesn´t speak). Seeing the "Dir Cut", you´ve already learned part of what happened, taking away that surprise element. I don´t mind the rest of the additional footage in dir.cut, but for me the film works better without the "colony footage".

Both are great versions, though, and I really hope that both versions will be released on HD. Sometimes - less can be more.

#40 of 260 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted July 11 2007 - 11:59 PM

Quote:
I also thought the scenes of Newt's family finding the derelict ship were really creepy and had a very ALIEN vibe to them.

Posted Image
Same here. the scenes of the derelict ship brought me back to the original film. The rest of Aliens was a much more action oriented film (which is in no way bad). I personally would take the DC over the original any day.

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow