What's new

Warner Bros Snubs- Babyboomers. (2 Viewers)

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
WB have a great treasure chest of TV Shows from 55-63'.
These programmes put WB on the TV Landscape and thus are a Part of American Television History.
They dug the well for today's TV Stars to earn millions of dollars.
CHEYENNE was my all time "Favorite".
One Season is an insult along with the other TV Shows from that era.
Wake Up WB,there are many Babyboomers around the world who are still around and would love to see these shows again transferred onto DVD.
They deserve to be showcased for other generations to see what great shows they were.

ryanCollins

Stunt Coordinator
don't put out more 80s and 90s crap. release the 50s and 60s before everone dies off that wants them!!!!!

S

silverking

Well i'm anxious for everyone to get the shows they want whatever decade,
but I fully endorse your views for WB to actually start releasing some of their classic catalogue. If they feel there is a market for 1930's 'Popeye' cartoons then surely shows like Sunset Strip, Maverick etc. have some potential.

If they wo't release them then license them. If I recall they did do this with'Maverick', Columbia House put out virtually all the Garner segments on video a few years back & judging by the amount they issued must have been reasonably successful.

Baby Boomers should unite to let WB know they can make a few bucks on this stuff. At present it is not making them anything and as time passes will eventually become worthless.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Warner's pre-1970 output has been minimal. I may be missing a title or two, but here's what I can recall (excluding animated series) . . . .

Adventures of Superman (6 seasons - complete)
Cheyenne (3 episode "Best of" and season 1)
F-Troop (6 episode "Best of" and both seasons - complete)
Gilligan's Island (3 seasons - complete)
Maverick (3 episode "Best of")

What's particularly frustrating for me is that Warner promoted their 50th Anniversary in television a while back, but failed, for the most part, to highlight their classic catalog of shows from the 1950s and 1960s. With the exception of the "Television Favorites" samplers of "Cheyenne," "F-Troop," and "Maverick," they really missed a golden opportunity to promote their classic line-up. What's also perplexing is the fact that their film division is second to none . . . . . there doesn't seem to be much of a problem to get their classic films released on DVD (I just enjoyed "Mister Roberts" this past weekend). But their classic TV shows . . . . that's another story.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
So what else is new? Changa, as a new member you're not aware that this has been quite the issue on this forum over the past few years, and it's just not Warners- FOX is far worse!!! If you're looking for and FOX show prior to 1980, good luck! I'm still waiting for:

Batman
Peyton Place
The Green Hornet
Room 222
James at 15
The Paper Chase
Julia
Nanny and the Professor
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir
Adventures in Paradise
Dobie Gillis
Bracken's World
Judd for the Defense
and many others.

On the other hand, at least Warners has at least started to go deep into its vaults with Cheyenne and Maverick. The odds are we'll see 77 Sunset Strip and The FBI on DVD before any of the above FOX shows!

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I hate to be blunt, but the fact of the matter is that the dvd market does not mirror the population. Newer shows get released because people in their 20s and 30s buy more dvds than people in their fifties and sixties.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I think most of us understand that. But it doesn't make it any less sickening.

Gary "don't even get me started with the tastes of the teen and 20 something crowd" O.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt

You could turn that around. People in their fifties and sixties would buy more DVDs....if the shows they're interested in were released.

Katherine_K

Second Unit

I suppose you could except that those shows in 50s/60s eras that have been released have not sold gangbusters. I am not belittling how frustrating it is, there are many shows that I would like released that are frustrating, but I think the basic economics shouldn't be ignored.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

There's hope for the youngsters. My nephew is a Millinium Kid (20's) and he likes the Dick Van Dyke Show, M:I, Get Smart. I'm still surprised about it :) After watching a M:I S1 show, he said "Why isn't this type of show made anymore?"

I've always been curious about the DVD purchasing mkt as well. I'd have guessed that there would be a lost more 'Boomers out there buying the 50's-60's sets. I've tried to keep that mkt segment alive myself (as Amazon & DDD will vouch for me :) ) I may be out in the void about this theory, but I think it has more to do with a lack of interest in buying TV/DVD sets vs movie/film DVD collecting. The 'Boomers that I talk to generally aren't aware that there are some great series available from our viewing era.

- Jeff "I hear you, Gary O. Wish the series-buying #"s were different" W.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yep. You're right Jeff. My two daughters, ages 13 & 11 only watch vintage tv and love all the 50's and 60's shows I buy. I didn't mean for my comments to be taken carte blanche as a blanket statement for all youngsters. I was referring to the vast majority, but not the whole.

Gary "hope you are doing well, Jeff" O.

S

silverking

There was a thread on here some time back expressing concern over the slowdown in 'classic' TV releases. Six months on what does everyone think ?

Seems to me that most of the 'likely' shows have seen release in one form or other. Wether they continue is a moot point.

My own feelings are that 'Perry Mason' 'Hawaii Five O' 'Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea' will continue. 'Mission Impossible' appears to be very low key & I'm a little concerned about this one. 'Rawhide' I can't see all 8 seasons making it & the move to half season sets is unhelpful.'Big Valley' I very much doubt if we will see it continued. Have Gun Will Travel & Cheyenne seem to have bitten the dust, along with 'The Rifleman'. 'Wild Wild West' hopefully will see at least S3 & I'm hoping to hear an announcement soon.
Better news of course with 'Th Invaders' in R2 which should mean an eventual release S1. 'It remains to be seen how 'Streets of San Francisco' & 'The Untouchables' perform but looks hopeful.'I hope Paramount give 'Gunsmoke' & 'The Fugitive' at least a couple of seasons.

As for new items - I'm pretty sure Man from UNCLE ' will eventually make it, & sooner or later 'Batman' .Also have a hunch that following the success of Hawaii 5 0 Paramount may consider 'Mannix'.

I think there is no chance of the Warner material, Route 66 & the like as the demographics are all wrong.

Finally what classic shows do you think realistically stand a chance of release. I emphasize realistically as opposed to wishful of which I could fill a page.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I still think that Maverick--especially the James Garner episodes--would do quite well in the marketplace. This is really more of a comedy/adventure series with a western facade than a straight western. And the three episode "sampler" that was released proved to me that the series really holds up quite well. (It's true that some of the solo Jack Kelly eps were more in the traditional western vein, but even those were mostly viewable until the ill-conceived fifth season.)

Considering how well "The Rockford Files" are doing right now on DVD, it's hard to believe that this series--at least the first three seasons--has not been released yet.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Do the majority of older purchasers use the Internet for purchases or do they rely more on Wal-Mart and other brick and mortar stores? Are they aware of the releases aimed at them? I ask this because I rarely see any of these older series there and I know people in this age range that reject the Internet on principle. Some I know reject FYE and Best Buy too. They rely totally on Wal-Mart but I reckon they would prefer a small locally run business if such existed in their local.

Also from what I gather from reading complaint boards, those bootleggers that offer older series seem to get some of the older customers but I am guessing that these people are casual consumers that googled something and clicked on the wrong link so as to be severely disappointed in their purchase, often times turning them off of all Internet purchases in the future.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Actually, Wal-Mart does pretty well with classic/vintage releases. It certainly doesn't have the variety of a Best Buy or any of the internet stores, but they've offered plenty of vintage classics and are certainly better than Target when it comes to pre-1970 shows. Recently, they've offered "The Untouchables," "Big Valley," "Ironside," "Gomer Pyle, USMC," "Hawaii Five-0," "Wild Wild West," "Mission: Impossible," "The Addams Family," "The Rat Patrol," "Perry Mason," "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" and others. The only downside with Wal-Mart is that because they have limited shelf space they do tend to rotate titles frequently and if you don't pick up up a new title within 3 to 4 weeks of release, you might not find it there again. Their new release prices are very competitive with internet prices and, in a few cases like season 1 of "The Big Valley" and "The Untouchables," their prices were significantly lower than anything you could find on the internet.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have seen Gomer, Mission Impossible, and Addams Family there and these seem to sell well enough to warrant more releases but the rest you list have not been at my Wal-Marts when frequented.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I don't think a bunch of studio execs are sitting around saying "Screw the baby boomers."

They are just estimating what will sell well, and who honestly thinks that a show like The Ghost & Mrs. Muir will sell well compared to something like Friends, Lost, or Seinfeld?

If you do, you have no clue about the DVD market.

I'm not defending them, but sometimes you need to remember this is a business, and they aren't going to spend money releasing something just because you personally like it.

Also, some of those shows like Batman have known licensing problems.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Good thread posts here; gets the theorizing gears moving :)

I agree with Joe; I think Maverick will get a season release for the reasons Joe mentioned. Rockford Files is doing well and as Joe said, Maverick isn't the typical western.

Tory, great post. I think that the 'net theory has merit. I know that some I talk to ('Boomer generation'ers) shy away from the 'net stores for one reason or another...most likely Return/Exchange hassles and some concern about identity theft. Myself, I rely on the 'net for about 95-98% of my buys, mainly for product availibility reasons and time-savings vs a trip to the local stores. I think that the "awareness" thing accounts for more (lack of) buys than some may realize. I know that, in conversations with age-peers and, (amazingly to me) some "30-somethings" that discovered the older series in syndication-land, there's a lot of replies that I get like "You mean, Get Smart is available on DVD?" And, how about the recent Irwin Allen releases? "Time Tunnel is on DVD? Wow!" (quote from an overseas friend).

Bob does make a good point about local Wal-Mart's. I have been there "at the right time" on rare occasions but mostly, I don't see releases on my list at Wal-Mart, for the reason that Bob mentioned, shelf space, and maybe for shopper-demographic reasons. I need to try more for some local stops since, as Bob said, I could have saved a few $$'s on some releases, although because of my buying history, I save more on the 'net over the long haul.

Chris, here's my "realistic" list :)

I think Big Valley will see a complete release, in part due to Lee Majors's name-association help.
Batman, in spite of the legal-eagle entanglements, will eventually get there.
I hope you're right about Mannix, but I don't feel as hopeful about that one.
Have Gun Will Travel will complete.
I still think LITB will complete as well (I think I hear Gary O yelling across several states to Dallas :) )
Dennis the Menace has, I think, a 60-40 chance.
Wild Wild West will complete.
Perry Mason will complete.
My "dark horse" (no joke) pick from the 50's is the Lone Ranger.
The Fugitive is a lock to complete.
Daniel Boone will complete.
Beverly Hillbillies will get thru S4, maybe complete.
My Favorite Martian should complete.
For the 70's, regardless of the laywers at Universal & Dimension, 6M$M & BW will see R1-land one day but I don't buy into the tie-in wish to the upcoming Bionic Woman remake series on NBC this fall, unless the Uni/Dimension war is already settled and that's when we'll see S1's of both original series.

One thing's certain, no one can predict this segment of the DVD market. I've seen some, to me, big surprise releases and some that we'd figure are sure-bets get seemingly buried on the vault back shelves.

Maybe a "suprise-release" thread's possible :) I remember that I'd never thought the 1-season Time Tunnel would ever see a DVD release. Then, Bang...a release with stunning xfrs. "Honey West", albeit PAL release. A 1-season '64 show getting a legit DVD release. In the 70's, "Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew". I was very surprised to see that one released. Alias Smith & Jones, another surprise. And, my "Holy Grail" of the 60's, Combat!....full series release. Yessssss :) I wouldn't have given any odds at all for that to happen. But, Combat! was released due in large part to the tireless work of "T-Gun" on the Combat! forum. That's why Image recognized that effort in mention on one of the disc's menus.

Jeff "Borrowed Gary O's sig for references" W.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Chris, I actually believe that "Route 66" has a chance. There's a "questionable" release of the series at Amazon right now . . . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Route-66-...0543033&sr=1-1

But even if it's not the "real deal," I believe that the series does stand a chance for release. Good black & white dramas can and will sell . . . . . just look at "Naked City," "The Twilight Zone" and "Combat!" from Image, "Perry Mason," "Rawhide," "The Untouchables," "Gunsmoke" and others from Paramount, and the original "The Outer Limits" from MGM, among others. I'm of the belief that if "The Fugitive" does well (and I'm convinced that it will succeed), then "Route 66" can't be too far behind.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Jeff, I agree with your assessment of vintage shows and their potential for complete series releases on DVD for the most part. It's interesting that Goldhill Home Media, who is releasing the "Daniel Boone" series, have this show on the fast track for season by season release when arguably DB will not likely fare as well in sales overall as some higher profile 60s era dramatic shows. As it stands, though, I feel that "Rawhide" and "The Untouchables" are just but two of several series potentially doomed to die off in mid stride. The half season thing in my mind is really hampering a full series release for these shows and Paramount even seems determined to release these at a snail's pace. I mean, 4 months separating the release of two halves of a season for "Untouchables"? Three years or more to release the entire show...?

I feel better about "The Fugitive" seeing all four seasons released over the above, but with the half season marketing ploy becoming more and more common, it gives studios more reason to cancel out further releases, given that many collectors (myself included) would prefer to see a more equitable price structure of

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks