-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

America's BINGO Night! Seriously?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,352 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 20 2007 - 02:01 PM

I watched 10 minutes of the new BINGO show the other night. Can someone confirm I'm understanding the show correctly:
* Player guesses whether a black or red bingo ball is randomly ejected.
* Audience actually plays bingo from said balls
* If player guesses 7 correct red/blacks before an audience member gets a BINGO, player withs beaucoup cash.
* Occaisionally, Tatoo from Fantasy Island yells out "No Bingo!"

??? Posted Image ???

That's the game? Guess heads/tails on coin tosses to win $50k?

#2 of 21 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,041 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted May 20 2007 - 02:06 PM

i only caught a few minutes too, but what i saw was the player needs to get to 500 points before a bingo.
he adds up the number on the balls to get to 500.
again like you only caught a few minutes so we must have missed something.
actually, i dont think we missed anything.

it looked like super low budget british cast off game show.

also there's this

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=256480
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 21 Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 20 2007 - 02:10 PM

There were three different "games" played by the contestant while others played bingo. The first was the race to 500, one was odds/evens and the other was red/black.

#4 of 21 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 20 2007 - 03:13 PM

It's no more inane or ridiculous than watching morons pick suitcases at random. People seem to be falling all over themselves to watch that show.

For myself, paint drying is more entertaining (and probably takes more skill).

But apparently we've grown too stupid as a society to expect our game shows to actually challenge their contestants with actual games that require a little bit of skill or knowledge.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#5 of 21 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,142 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 20 2007 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
But apparently we've grown too stupid as a society to expect our game shows to actually challenge their contestants with actual games that require a little bit of skill or knowledge.

I'd save that statement while Jeopardy is still running.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#6 of 21 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 20 2007 - 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
I'd save that statement while Jeopardy is still running.
I was generally speaking of this "new" wave of game shows. Though even "Jeopardy" seems to have "dumbed down" a bit over recent years.

#7 of 21 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,352 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 05:29 AM

Quote:
It's no more inane or ridiculous than watching morons pick suitcases at random. People seem to be falling all over themselves to watch that show.

For myself, paint drying is more entertaining (and probably takes more skill).

I thought Deal or No Deal was a dumb idea, to my surprise it's a fun game to watch. And unlike what I saw of Bingo, DOND requires the player to make real decisions, unlike black/red of Bingo. And watching DOND with some knowledge of probability makes it more fun: watching people make risk assessments with little knowledge, and gauging when to push on with the odds favor your, as well as trying to guess the Banker's offer. Posted Image

In any case, it's not like game shows have a particularly erudite history: Joker's Wild, Price is Right, and Family Feud didn't require the knowledge of Jeapordy. But they are fun games.

Bingo just seems like dreck.

But clearly I missed most of the show. The piece I saw had a woman guessing red/black and as she got it right, a manniquin bride moved down her mechanical aisle to get married. If she got seven points, the player won $50k.

How did the rest of the show go?

#8 of 21 Jonny P

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 05:51 AM

The new breed of game shows (I am pointing at "Deal or No Deal") require little to no brain power.

Instead, they are based on luck and the shows subsist on people making dumb decisions.

It is like the TV version of watching someone put tokens into a slot machine.

#9 of 21 Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF

How did the rest of the show go?

She was the only person who won the 50k. She did get a great roll that prevented anyone from the audience from getting close. But if normal probabilities hold, they would've probably pulled about 14 numbers before she won the prize. That would have given people enough time to come close or to get BINGO. It is that drama when you have a group of players one number away and the person also one correct guess away that creates the entertainment. If a person gets bingo on the same turn as the contestant, then the player losses.

My wife and I enjoyed it and it was fun to play along. In a couple of the games we were one number away from BINGO. The prizes for home contestants weren't great, but one home winner won a trip to the Indy 500. For a Friday night at home, it wasn't the worst thing we could've done.

#10 of 21 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,417 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 21 2007 - 09:47 AM

These new game shows are about watching entertaining contestants, not about playing interesting games.

Don't be dissin' The Price Is Right -- the unofficial game show of the HTF! Posted Image

It's designed for geniuses. Handsome geniuses.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#11 of 21 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 11:34 AM

The next big game show? Guess Which Hand It's In.

#12 of 21 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,352 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
These new game shows are about watching entertaining contestants, not about playing interesting games.

Don't be dissin' The Price Is Right -- the unofficial game show of the HTF! Posted Image

It's designed for geniuses. Handsome geniuses.
I'd never diss TPIR -- rather observing that great game shows don't need "smarts". Just a good game and with fun decisions, requring a bit of savvy or chutzpah, to be made by the player.

That's what annoyed me so much about Bingo -- there was seemingly no fun decision making process. Red?Black?Red?Black?Heads?Tails? At least with Deal, there's the decision of whether to quit the game with your current prize money or keep going for more. Bingo was just mindless guessing until the game ended.

#13 of 21 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted May 22 2007 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny P
It is like the TV version of watching someone put tokens into a slot machine.

Oh! My! God! You've just given me a brilliant idea! Celebrity Slots!

Get FOX and Greg Evigan on the phone!
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#14 of 21 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 03:20 AM

Quote:
That's what annoyed me so much about Bingo -- there was seemingly no fun decision making process. Red?Black?Red?Black?Heads?Tails?
That's the inherent problem when you make a TV show based on bingo, a game in which the extent of the "decision-making process" is whether or not to mark your numbers with your right or left hand (or both for those very talented and experienced players Posted Image).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaLauenstein
Oh! My! God! You've just given me a brilliant idea! Celebrity Slots!

Get FOX and Greg Evigan on the phone!
I thought you said "celebrity." Posted Image

#15 of 21 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,352 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
That's the inherent problem when you make a TV show based on bingo, a game in which the extent of the "decision-making process" is whether or not to mark your numbers with your right or left hand (or both for those very talented and experienced players Posted Image).

I thought you said "celebrity." Posted Image
At a minimum, they could have copied the other shows with a sliding prize scale, and offering the player the choice to leave with a partial win or continue on to go for all of it.

They could show the audience players closest to Bingo, so the player could know how far off they are from winning.

They could could make the selection of Bingo Balls partially skill based, so the player has some chance at selecting the ball they want (that's what I thought they did at first).

There's a lot to be done that might juice up the game and make it more interesting.

#16 of 21 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 22 2007 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
They could show the audience players closest to Bingo, so the player could know how far off they are from winning.
They did make the audience members stand up when they were "one number away" from bingo.

I don't know if a sliding scale would work with this set up, since the whole point of "bingo night" is to let the audience in the studio and at home play bingo. The "contestant" is just a glorified number puller; the game is not really about them. If they were able to quit early for a smaller prize, there would seldom be enough draws to let anyone win at the bingo game and there wouldn't be any point in the audience playing along.

#17 of 21 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 03:44 PM

Do we get to watch while the audience hair turns blue?
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#18 of 21 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,352 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
They did make the audience members stand up when they were "one number away" from bingo.

I don't know if a sliding scale would work with this set up, since the whole point of "bingo night" is to let the audience in the studio and at home play bingo. The "contestant" is just a glorified number puller; the game is not really about them. If they were able to quit early for a smaller prize, there would seldom be enough draws to let anyone win at the bingo game and there wouldn't be any point in the audience playing along.
How does playing at home work? Can you really win? Do you call in and claim a prize? Does it affect the Player?

As for quitting early -- DOND demonstrates that people will stick with the game far longer than they should, for the allure of substantially larger prizes. Appropriately value-staggered prizes will keep the players going for it.

#19 of 21 Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 23 2007 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
How does playing at home work? Can you really win? Do you call in and claim a prize? Does it affect the Player?

As for quitting early -- DOND demonstrates that people will stick with the game far longer than they should, for the allure of substantially larger prizes. Appropriately value-staggered prizes will keep the players going for it.

You can play at home by going to abc.com and printing out bingo cards. You get three cards for each game every time you print. If you get bingo at home, you claim your prize on line and one lucky winner in each game gets a big prize, like a $10,000 gift or trip to Indy 500. All Other winners got $5 gift card from K-Mart or a CD.

#20 of 21 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 23 2007 - 05:58 AM

Quote:

What Todd said, plus at-home play has no effect on the in-studio action (for one thing, it's not a "live" show).

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow