What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Hard Boiled Coming to HD as a game/movie hybrid (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, the game isn't a hybrid...it's a sequel (of sorts). I'm pretty excited about the game. I hope the BD of Hard Boiled is correctly and competently mastered. Nice extra for 10 bones.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I want the game even though it doesn't look that great. The inclusion of the movie just gave me a reason to buy it for sure :) I read about this the other day too.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I was interested in the game before this news, now it officially became a must-buy.

Would love The Killer in BD as well ;)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Anyone else download the Stranglehold trailer on their PS3 yet? The video quality for the Hard Boiled scenes they cut into the trailer looked terrible. I'm really hoping they clean it up. I don't have the original DVD release to see how it looks in comparison, but to my eyes the video looked to be LD quality at best.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, the original is very grainy, so even if they clean it up, it isn't likely to be among the best HD transfers I'd guess.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Also, the conflicting stories I've heard (that HB isn't even HD) makes me take a wait and see position from my earlier must-buy mode. I have Hard Boiled on DVD and it isn't the best looking one I own; none of those Hong Kong movies from that period look anything close to decent to begin with.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh, my enthusiasm has cooled, to say the least. Looks like I will be waiting for some online reviews before jumping in feet first.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

From the Weinsteins? I doubt it. It's probably deemed to old to appeal to next gen buyers. Plus the foreign language/subtitle factor would probably be another strike against an HD release.

Buying a movie as an extra on a game doesn't appeal to me and I'd love for their Dragon Dynasty films to come out in HD, but I'm just not holding my breath.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'll pass on this one as the standard DVD release usues dubtitles instead of subtitles. I'm sure the BD will have the same problem.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are two SD versions, the US version which is dubbed and the original that has the original Chinese language tracks and subtitles aka the "Hong Kong" version (much harder to get when the whole "who owns the rights in the US" thing happened for this film). We can only hope it isn't the US version. I have the "HK" version of The Killer because the dubbed version just wasn't as good for that one either.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I'm not aware of any dub-only version of Hard Boiled. The new SD version which just came out from Weinstein's Dragon Dynasty label does not use the proper translation. Instead, it's merely a transcription of the dub track. I'll stick with my anamorphic HK DVD which has DTS.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I am still skeptical that this is actually going to be a 1080p transfer. All of the confirmation that I've seen is based on Midway saying that it "supports" all HD resolutions - including 1080p! That isn't very reassuring to me. I can stick a VHS tape in a VCR and plug it into a native 1080p display and technically claim that that VHS tape "supports" 1080p.

I don't know - I just still haven't seen anyone from Midway come right out and say that a new high definition transfer was created. I can tell that Weinstein/Genius didn't create one (and there is someone who has supposedly corresponded with someone at Genius in the HighDefDigest forums and that contact is adamant that the PS3 version is not HD). Midway themselves stated that they "converted" the digital master to "support" all HD resolutions. I just think alot of sites are taking that as confirmation that it's HD. We all know that a 480p source can be converted to 1080p and slapped on a disc (hello, "Traffic"). I will be shocked if that is not what ends up happening here. The fact that Midway claims they did the conversion themselves is what really worries me...

Source

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
They could easily do an Xbox/HD-DVD disc dual disc combo if they really wanted to.

That's too much to make sens though really.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Same here. But I guess we'll know in a couple weeks. I did just see that the 360 version of the game got an 8.1 from IGN.com. So at least the game will be pretty good even if the transfer of HB isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks