Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is my DVD-RW drive failing?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 02:45 PM

My 2.5 year old Lite-On SOHW-1213S drive is now suddenly taking about 3 times as long to burn DVD-R media (both data and DVD video with more than one software program). What once took about 14 minutes at 4x is now taking over 40 minutes. I am now also seeing the buffer hover around 40% when it used to sit at over 90% during a burn. Is this a sign that my drive is starting to fail?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 04:33 PM

Do yourself a favor and spend the $35 on a new NEC DVD burner, and never look back!
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 06:56 AM

Did Sony buy out NEC? There is only one NEC available at NewEgg.com but there are a few listed as Sony/NEC.

My Lite-On has burned probably 500-600+ DVD-R, DVD+RW, and CD-R discs over the past two and a half years and it was only supposed to be a temporary drive when I bought my PC so I guess it could be time to upgrade now.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 09:09 AM

Oh snap! Didn't realize that NEC got gobbled up by Sony. Perhaps it's time to look at the Lite-on units as well, then. Either way, the drives are so cheap nowadays, it's easier to replace then troubleshoot/repair.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 05:50 PM

Todd,

The burner might have switched back to PIO mode. Make sure it's at DMA...

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 06:49 PM

I ended up ordering a new Lite-On 20X burner with LightScribe™ (the LH-20A1H) from newegg.com for $37.99. I received it today and installed it this evening. So far I have burned 3 DVD-Rs and this thing screams compared to the old one.

I guess I can take the old one to work and slap it into that PC since they were too cheap to get us DVD-RW drives in our new machines.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:43 PM

Quote:
The burner might have switched back to PIO mode. Make sure it's at DMA...

I noticed that my DVD-ROM drive has been acting weird with DVDs recently as well. Playback is a bit jerky now and I seem to be using a lot more CPU than I used to. As a test, I took a DVD and started ripping it to the hard drive and was only able to get a 1.5X read speed and the CPU seemed to be working a lot harder than normal. I opened up the device manager and took a look at the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to make sure that DMA was enabled and I notced that there were duplicate entries for both the primary and secondary channels. Is this normal or could this be why my DVD-ROM drive is acting up? By the way, DMA is enabled all the way around.

EDIT: I uninstalled the secondary instances of both the primary and secondary channels and rebooted. They both reinstalled themselves and I am now seeing 12X+ read speeds from the DVD-ROM drive.