-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Just got a S-Video lead for N64 - WOW!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Huw Williams

Huw Williams

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted November 21 2001 - 08:59 PM

As I had a lack of inputs left on my TV, the only way to connect my N64 would be a S-video lead.

Whilst browsing for random games at a local store, I saw the lead for £2($3), "why not" I thought.

When I first tested Perfect Dark, I was astounded! The N logo was so clear! The jump from a standard coax was amazing! Even my Dreamcast loving friend was impressed.

Have you got one? If you haven't, get one. Now!

#2 of 9 JasonRH

JasonRH

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 12:12 AM

Huw,
Your post was a breath of fresh air. I find the new systems very exciting, like everyone else, I also own the cube now. I still, however, LOVE the N64 and it's nice to hear a new post on it againPosted Image
I don't have the s-vid cable for it but I always wanted one. Problem is, I've never seen one in my local stores and haven't bothered to order direct from Nintendo. Are yours a generic brand of cable or official Nintendo ones?? Thanks a lot.

#3 of 9 Huw Williams

Huw Williams

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 12:31 AM

It's just a generic cable. I can't remember the name of it, but, I'll have a look later on. I might try the cable with my SNES later to see if that works too. Mario World should be pretty good.

Before I got my N64 I always played it on friends systems with rubbish TV's and the normal RF cable. This always made the games look "hazy". But on my TV via S-video, it's a really clear picture.

#4 of 9 Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

• 920 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 02:43 AM

I would suggest getting an official Nintendo one. Hopefully with the Gamecube now out they will sell them at B & M stores -otherwise you have to order from the big N themselves.

I picked up a few generic ones cheap. They worked okay with the N64,but the colors were all horrible on my SNES. Also, they break easily.

I went and ordered one from Nintendo,& I love it! (especially since I only have s-video with my current setup)

It is a HUGE difference over the regular a/v composite cables. I could never go back after seeing that. Posted Image
Calvin

#5 of 9 Mike_G

Mike_G

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 03:53 AM

I had to order my N64 SVideo cable from Nintendo years ago. However, it DOES work on the Gamecube too!!!!

Mike

#6 of 9 JasonRH

JasonRH

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 04:19 AM

Problem is I live in Canada and I don't think Nintendo.com will ship outside of the U.S. Nintendo of Canada doesn't even offer them so I may be stuck with a generic one. Oh well, if I can find one I'll try it but I would much rather buy an official Nintendo product.

#7 of 9 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,117 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 06:01 AM

SNES, N64, and GCN all have the same audio/video output port, so if you have the cables for the SNES, they will work on the GCN.

Of course, generic wires for things like S-Video will probably work better for one console and not the other.

I should get an S-Video cable for my N64. Then again, I probably wouldn't end up using it.

#8 of 9 Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted November 22 2001 - 10:40 AM

I ordered two Nintendo brand S-Video cables from Nintendo three years ago when Zelda 64 was released--one for the N64, and the other for my SNES. Good stuff, although they were $20 each.

You can find Pelican universal S-Video cables at Wal-Mart and Best Buy for right around $10. They have three different kinds of connectors on the cable: Dreamcast, PSX/PS2, and the Nintendo jack (SNES, N64, GameCube), and they have both a composite video output and the S-Video output.

Pretty cool, actually. I'm using one right now--I've got both my Dreamcast and my SNES hooked up via S-Video at the same time, and it just switches automatically to whichever one is turned on. No noticable loss in picture quality compared to the separate S-Video cables I used to have hooked up to each system. It's a great device for those like me who have several consoles, but a limited number of S-Video jacks.

-mwb-

#9 of 9 JasonRH

JasonRH

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted November 23 2001 - 12:50 AM

Matt,
Thanks for the tip. I'll look for the pelican cables over here.