What's new

Just got a S-Video lead for N64 - WOW!! (1 Viewer)

Huw Williams

Agent
As I had a lack of inputs left on my TV, the only way to connect my N64 would be a S-video lead.

Whilst browsing for random games at a local store, I saw the lead for £2($3), "why not" I thought.

When I first tested Perfect Dark, I was astounded! The N logo was so clear! The jump from a standard coax was amazing! Even my Dreamcast loving friend was impressed.

Have you got one? If you haven't, get one. Now!

JasonRH

Second Unit
Huw,
Your post was a breath of fresh air. I find the new systems very exciting, like everyone else, I also own the cube now. I still, however, LOVE the N64 and it's nice to hear a new post on it again:)
I don't have the s-vid cable for it but I always wanted one. Problem is, I've never seen one in my local stores and haven't bothered to order direct from Nintendo. Are yours a generic brand of cable or official Nintendo ones?? Thanks a lot.

Huw Williams

Agent
It's just a generic cable. I can't remember the name of it, but, I'll have a look later on. I might try the cable with my SNES later to see if that works too. Mario World should be pretty good.

Before I got my N64 I always played it on friends systems with rubbish TV's and the normal RF cable. This always made the games look "hazy". But on my TV via S-video, it's a really clear picture.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I would suggest getting an official Nintendo one. Hopefully with the Gamecube now out they will sell them at B & M stores -otherwise you have to order from the big N themselves.
I picked up a few generic ones cheap. They worked okay with the N64,but the colors were all horrible on my SNES. Also, they break easily.
I went and ordered one from Nintendo,& I love it! (especially since I only have s-video with my current setup)
It is a HUGE difference over the regular a/v composite cables. I could never go back after seeing that. :)
Calvin

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I had to order my N64 SVideo cable from Nintendo years ago. However, it DOES work on the Gamecube too!!!!

Mike

JasonRH

Second Unit
Problem is I live in Canada and I don't think Nintendo.com will ship outside of the U.S. Nintendo of Canada doesn't even offer them so I may be stuck with a generic one. Oh well, if I can find one I'll try it but I would much rather buy an official Nintendo product.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
SNES, N64, and GCN all have the same audio/video output port, so if you have the cables for the SNES, they will work on the GCN.

Of course, generic wires for things like S-Video will probably work better for one console and not the other.

I should get an S-Video cable for my N64. Then again, I probably wouldn't end up using it.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I ordered two Nintendo brand S-Video cables from Nintendo three years ago when Zelda 64 was released--one for the N64, and the other for my SNES. Good stuff, although they were $20 each.

You can find Pelican universal S-Video cables at Wal-Mart and Best Buy for right around $10. They have three different kinds of connectors on the cable: Dreamcast, PSX/PS2, and the Nintendo jack (SNES, N64, GameCube), and they have both a composite video output and the S-Video output.

Pretty cool, actually. I'm using one right now--I've got both my Dreamcast and my SNES hooked up via S-Video at the same time, and it just switches automatically to whichever one is turned on. No noticable loss in picture quality compared to the separate S-Video cables I used to have hooked up to each system. It's a great device for those like me who have several consoles, but a limited number of S-Video jacks.

-mwb-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks