What's new

Samsung DLP w/ Samsung Up-Converting DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeffrey Allen Rydell
Using a Samsung DVD-HD960 Player to up-convert standard-def DVDs to display at 1080p on a Samsung DLP HL-S5087W.

Not that happy with the result. Lotsa macro-blocking. I've got the player's resolution set to 1080p, and the TV doing whatever it's automatically set to do to the incoming HDMI signal. No manual resolution options on the TV.

Would I be better off setting the player to a lower resolution, and letting the TV do the scaling all by itself? And should that setting be 480p or 720p? What about the player's Format setting? Monitor, TV, or TV-RGB?

Or does the scaling just suck on both the player and the TV?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would try letting the tv do the scaling. To do this you will want to set the DVD player output to 480. If you set it to 720 then the DVD player will do scaling from 480 to 720 followed by the tv scaling from 720 to 1080 -- I think that would be your worst bet.

Set the DVD output to 480 and see if the tv's scaling works better.

SeanA

Second Unit
I have a Samsung DLP, and sad to say there is no real fix for the macro-blocking problem. I've talked to high-level Samsung techs, but to no avail. I've also tried a number of different DVD players and even had my set professionally calibrated. The calibration improved the color, but had only minimal impact on macro-blocking. Frankly, I think Samsung DLP's suck !!! It will make no difference to let the Samsung TV do the scaling.

The only suggestion I have is to try a non-Samsung DVD player and one without Faroudja video processing. The Faroujda chip is known to be a macro-blocking enhancer. Most, if not all, Sony DVD players do NOT use the Faroudja processing. I am using a Sony up-converting player right now, and it definitely reduced (but did not eliminate) the intensity of macro-blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks