Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Phantasm 2?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted April 26 2007 - 07:25 AM

Will we ever see a DVD for Phantasm 2? Does anyone know the holdup?
I've got my own Toto

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 26 2007 - 07:35 AM

Probably that Don Coscarelli is still trying to get the rights back from Universal. He was able to buy back the rights to Phantasm III, but II is the only one yet to have a DVD release.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 16 ONLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,105 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 26 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hey, I didn't know Phantasm III got a release until I read this thread. I see at Amazon that Anchor Bay has rereleased the original Phantasm as well. Anamorphic, I presume? I'm going to have to track these down this weekend.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   John Swarce

John Swarce

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted April 27 2007 - 12:22 AM

I picked up both 1 & 3 a couple of weeks ago when they were re-released. I also got 4, as I don't think this will ever see another release. Is 2 available in any other region? --John
"Things you own end up owning you" --Fight Club

You are what you are when no one is looking...

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Demis G

Demis G

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted April 27 2007 - 01:44 AM

John the R2 got a very "prestige" edition a while back of the trilogy

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted April 28 2007 - 03:57 AM

Anchor Bay U.K released a wonderful Region 2, Pal package of the whole series about two years back.

You can still order it here:

http://xploitedcinem....on-p-5328.html

And you may be able to get it from Amazon.co.uk even cheaper. Either way, if you have the means to play these discs, the package is WELL worth the price. The fifth disc is packed with some really good documentaries on the whole series, with pretty much all of the participants involved.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 10:11 PM

Cinemax just broadcast a sterling HD transfer of PHANTASM II last night; I didn't even realize it was on until I happened to check the listings just before I went to bed.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 03:03 AM

Was it still sporting a Universal logo?
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 08:15 AM

Yep.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,212 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 11:16 AM

There may be hope yet that Uni will release at the very least a barebones disc. I'd love to see Coscarelli get the rights back to this and let AB do a proper SE, though.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,366 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted May 15 2007 - 12:04 AM

I bought it from xploitedcinema.com and boy was it worth it. Great package, great transfers, and loaded with extras. The very definition of "ultimate edition."
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 12:27 AM

Ok, so this September we'll see a pristine NTSC release thanks to Uni. Let's cross out bits they have a deep trawl through their vaults to find the MPAA censored footage...if not then include the widely available uncensored work print. And a Don Cosarelli, Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm running commentary is a must. I'd also like to see the TV spots, Theatrical teaser and final trailers. Please Universal, do it right...
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted June 21 2009 - 06:16 AM

Don't hold your breath for Universal to do this "right" - we'll be lucky if we even get a trailer. Seriously, if I were in charge of deciding what gets released on DVD and I wasn't sure of a specific title's commercial viability and I had third parties begging to do it themselves, why wouldn't I consider that an option? Universal certainly never had an interest in this series (it didn't make them tons of money) but the fact of the matter is that Phantasm does indeed have a very big fanbase. All they have to do is go online and read all the forums. I'll take the DVD, barebones and all (sigh)
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted June 21 2009 - 07:38 AM

Yes, I wouldn't expect this to have many special features if any at all. Good news is if this release doesn't sell well, they may finally let the title go to Anchor Bay and then you'll see your SE/Series Set.

#15 of 16 ONLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,105 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted June 21 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hey, that's great news. I originally came to the HTF for two reasons: to ask the studios for Phantasms II/III and for the Incredible Shrinking Man. Sounds like the last of those requests is about to become a reality. I'll gladly take barebones now and hope for something better down the line.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 23 2009 - 09:27 PM

If not, I'll simply retain my UK region 2 SE, which includes a running commentary, trailer and TV spots. :-) That's bound to be re-released on Blu-ray at some point.
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users