What's new

Phantasm 2? (1 Viewer)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Will we ever see a DVD for Phantasm 2? Does anyone know the holdup?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably that Don Coscarelli is still trying to get the rights back from Universal. He was able to buy back the rights to Phantasm III, but II is the only one yet to have a DVD release.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, I didn't know Phantasm III got a release until I read this thread. I see at Amazon that Anchor Bay has rereleased the original Phantasm as well. Anamorphic, I presume? I'm going to have to track these down this weekend.

John Swarce

Second Unit

I picked up both 1 & 3 a couple of weeks ago when they were re-released. I also got 4, as I don't think this will ever see another release. Is 2 available in any other region?

--John

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay U.K released a wonderful Region 2, Pal package of the whole series about two years back.

You can still order it here:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ph...on-p-5328.html

And you may be able to get it from Amazon.co.uk even cheaper. Either way, if you have the means to play these discs, the package is WELL worth the price. The fifth disc is packed with some really good documentaries on the whole series, with pretty much all of the participants involved.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Cinemax just broadcast a sterling HD transfer of PHANTASM II last night; I didn't even realize it was on until I happened to check the listings just before I went to bed.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There may be hope yet that Uni will release at the very least a barebones disc. I'd love to see Coscarelli get the rights back to this and let AB do a proper SE, though.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I bought it from xploitedcinema.com and boy was it worth it. Great package, great transfers, and loaded with extras. The very definition of "ultimate edition."

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so this September we'll see a pristine NTSC release thanks to Uni. Let's cross out bits they have a deep trawl through their vaults to find the MPAA censored footage...if not then include the widely available uncensored work print.

And a Don Cosarelli, Reggie Bannister and Angus Scrimm running commentary is a must.

I'd also like to see the TV spots, Theatrical teaser and final trailers.

Please Universal, do it right...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Don't hold your breath for Universal to do this "right" - we'll be lucky if we even get a trailer. Seriously, if I were in charge of deciding what gets released on DVD and I wasn't sure of a specific title's commercial viability and I had third parties begging to do it themselves, why wouldn't I consider that an option? Universal certainly never had an interest in this series (it didn't make them tons of money) but the fact of the matter is that Phantasm does indeed have a very big fanbase. All they have to do is go online and read all the forums. I'll take the DVD, barebones and all (sigh)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Yes, I wouldn't expect this to have many special features if any at all. Good news is if this release doesn't sell well, they may finally let the title go to Anchor Bay and then you'll see your SE/Series Set.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, that's great news. I originally came to the HTF for two reasons: to ask the studios for Phantasms II/III and for the Incredible Shrinking Man. Sounds like the last of those requests is about to become a reality. I'll gladly take barebones now and hope for something better down the line.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

If not, I'll simply retain my UK region 2 SE, which includes a running commentary, trailer and TV spots. :)

That's bound to be re-released on Blu-ray at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks