What's new

Reign Over Me (2007)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Reign Over Me (2007)

Tagline: Let in the unexpected.

Genre: Drama

Director: Mike Binder

Cast: Adam Sandler, Don Cheadle, Jada Pinkett Smith, Liv Tyler, Saffron Burrows, Donald Sutherland, Robert Klein, Melinda Dillon, Mike Binder, Jonathan Banks, Rae Allen, Paula Newsome, John de Lancie, Paul Butler, Camille LaChe Smith, Imani Hakim, Denise Dowse, Anthony Chisholm, B. J. Novak, Jessica Golden, Ted Raimi, Harris Peet, Molly Binder, Tommy Nohilly, Robert Harvey, Nick Taylor, M.D. Walton, Chad Brigockas, Elizabeth Andrews, Neal Young, Lela Loren

Release: 2007-03-23

Runtime: 124

Plot: A man who lost his family in the September 11 attack on New York City runs into his old college roommate. Rekindling the friendship is the one thing that appears able to help the man recover from his grief.

Mike Binder was the perfect person to make this film. There are many filmmakers that could have captured the outburts, the anger and the despair. But depression is about more than anger and despair. In Reign Over Me, Binder focuses his film on all of the time that passes in between, when people filled with loss and hopelessness have to exist and fill the time.
He doesn't make his subject, Charlie Fineman, psychotic or insane. Despite the manner in which we first meet him, Charlie's problem isn't lack of clarity. It's too much clarity, seeing the things that matter to him most every single day and having to deal with the fact they're never coming back. Charlie wants so desperately to be insane, to be a person damaged enough to lose the part of him that matters most.
The protagonist, Dr. Alan Johnson DMD, has a beautiful wife and lovely polite little children. He runs a successful practice and maintains a comfortable lifestyle. But he is no less alone than Charlie, and like Charlie does little more than count his days. Henry David Thoreau once said that "the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." These two are certainly ringing endorsements of his theory.
Alan and Charlie find in each other a friendly face from a time before their present problems. Together they still do little more than pass the time, but they make a much better go of it with the extra company. Gradually Alan gets glimpses into the part of Charlie's world that is no longer directly acknowledged. Gradually Charlie is entrusted with the areas of Alan's life that he insists are fine to every one else.
As it turns out, Charlie had a beautiful wife and three beautiful little girls once. They even had a little dog. They were visiting family in Boston, and he was going to meet them in Los Angeles. They got on one of two American Airlines flights from Logan to LAX that did not make it that morning.
The rest of my review is available here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was a good film, could have been a very good film with some trimming maybe 10-15 minutes from its running time because it sort of peters out at the end, but I did like the bits of humor that writer/director Mike Binder sprinkles throughout the film, giving the main two characters, Alan and Charlie, some room to find themselves again as they re-connect after many years after dental school as roommates. Some of the writing is a little too cute and convenient, but I went with the flow and had an overall good time watching the film.

Don Cheadle (Alan) is solid, and Adam Sandler (Charlie) gets to display some dramatic chops, and also flashing some comedic Sandlerisms once in a while, but his agitated voice can be a little shrill. The female characters aren't as well written as the 2 main characters, and basically provide a supporting framework for these men, both a little adrift (from different directions) as they approach their 40's.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched the extremely underrated Reign over Me (2007). Incredible film, and I think it's one of Sandler's & Cheadle's best films.

Great acting, story, and soundtrack. This is not only about PTSD after a horribly traumatic event (in this case, 9/11), but is also about friendship, tolerance, and standing up for yourself & others.

I know AS has gotten pigeon-holed as a great comedic actor over the years (for obvious reasons), but this drama is one of his best acting roles - of course, there were some funny lines here as well.

I remember that it took a long time for film-makers to make movies about 9/11, which was completely understandable. And, this is one of the best movies about the aftermath of that horrific event.

The soundtrack is amazing, with great songs by The Pretenders, Graham Nash, Bruce Springsteen, and Pearl Jam (covering The Who's sublime Reign O'er Me), among others. In particular, the song placement of The Pretenders' Stop Your Sobbing was perfect.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks