Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SACD bass management

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   rick_da

rick_da

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 03:03 AM

If I connect my SACD player to the "CD/DVD/AUX IN" (in two channel mode)of my receiver instead of the six channel input, would I be taking advantage of the bass management of my receiver?..thanks.

rick

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 09 2007 - 04:54 AM

Yes, but then you are also processing that signal....
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 09 2007 - 05:25 AM

That's defeating the purpose of sacd and dvd-a music. If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy the cd, instead of the sacd.
Some people get something like the ICBM from Outlaw, to have better bass management.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   rick_da

rick_da

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 12:44 AM

Thanks guys. Since my front speakers are connected from the hig-pass filter of my sub, and that a signal form a stereo SACD is full range, (multi-channel also is fulll range for that matter)..my question is: do i still need a bass manager with this kind of set-up..

My plan is stereo for now, multi channel later, since I can't seem to find a store here in Dubai,UAE selling the outlaw ICBM1.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley
That's defeating the purpose of sacd and dvd-a music. If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy the cd, instead of the sacd.

That would only be the case if the signal is downmixed to 16 bit / 44KHz (CD quality), but that may not be the case if you stick with the analogue inputs. There definitely will be a reduction in quality from "Direct" mode (Direct mode for analogue CD, AUX, etc. should give identical performance as the 5.1 inputs). How much the sound quality is reduced when bass management is engaged depends on the quality of the surround processor. I don't believe there is any downconverting of the analogue signal (correct me if I'm wrong), so a lot of the increased frequency response of SACD should be preserved in the processing.

My SCD-C222ES player has its own primitive form of bass management, and when it is engaged the sound degrades slightly from "Direct," but not to the extent that I'd call it "CD quality."

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 10 2007 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_da
My plan is stereo for now, multi channel later, since I can't seem to find a store here in Dubai,UAE selling the outlaw ICBM1.
You won't find an ICBM, in any store, anywhere, unless it's a used one. Outlaw equipment is sold online only. Very good equipment too........... Posted Image
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 10 2007 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
You won't find an ICBM, in any store, anywhere, unless it's a used one. Outlaw equipment is sold online only. Very good equipment too........
... Used is the only way to get one now. It looks like they have discontinued the ICBM Posted Image . Says so on their web site.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 12 2007 - 07:26 AM

The ICBM has been discontinued for at least a year and a half.

Quote:
Thanks guys. Since my front speakers are connected from the hig-pass filter of my sub, and that a signal form a stereo SACD is full range, (multi-channel also is fulll range for that matter)..my question is: do i still need a bass manager with this kind of set-up..

If that is the case, then no, you don't even need bass management.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow