What's new

SACD bass management (1 Viewer)

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
If I connect my SACD player to the "CD/DVD/AUX IN" (in two channel mode)of my receiver instead of the six channel input, would I be taking advantage of the bass management of my receiver?..thanks.

rick

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That's defeating the purpose of sacd and dvd-a music. If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy the cd, instead of the sacd.
Some people get something like the ICBM from Outlaw, to have better bass management.

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
Thanks guys. Since my front speakers are connected from the hig-pass filter of my sub, and that a signal form a stereo SACD is full range, (multi-channel also is fulll range for that matter)..my question is: do i still need a bass manager with this kind of set-up..

My plan is stereo for now, multi channel later, since I can't seem to find a store here in Dubai,UAE selling the outlaw ICBM1.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

That would only be the case if the signal is downmixed to 16 bit / 44KHz (CD quality), but that may not be the case if you stick with the analogue inputs. There definitely will be a reduction in quality from "Direct" mode (Direct mode for analogue CD, AUX, etc. should give identical performance as the 5.1 inputs). How much the sound quality is reduced when bass management is engaged depends on the quality of the surround processor. I don't believe there is any downconverting of the analogue signal (correct me if I'm wrong), so a lot of the increased frequency response of SACD should be preserved in the processing.

My SCD-C222ES player has its own primitive form of bass management, and when it is engaged the sound degrades slightly from "Direct," but not to the extent that I'd call it "CD quality."

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You won't find an ICBM, in any store, anywhere, unless it's a used one. Outlaw equipment is sold online only. Very good equipment too........... :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
... Used is the only way to get one now. It looks like they have discontinued the ICBM :frowning: . Says so on their web site.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The ICBM has been discontinued for at least a year and a half.

If that is the case, then no, you don't even need bass management.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks