SACD bass management

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by rick_da, Mar 9, 2007.

1. rick_da

rick_da Agent

If I connect my SACD player to the "CD/DVD/AUX IN" (in two channel mode)of my receiver instead of the six channel input, would I be taking advantage of the bass management of my receiver?..thanks.

rick

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, but then you are also processing that signal....

3. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    That's defeating the purpose of sacd and dvd-a music. If you're going to do that, you might as well just buy the cd, instead of the sacd.
    Some people get something like the ICBM from Outlaw, to have better bass management.

4. rick_da

rick_da Agent

Thanks guys. Since my front speakers are connected from the hig-pass filter of my sub, and that a signal form a stereo SACD is full range, (multi-channel also is fulll range for that matter)..my question is: do i still need a bass manager with this kind of set-up..

My plan is stereo for now, multi channel later, since I can't seem to find a store here in Dubai,UAE selling the outlaw ICBM1.

5. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

That would only be the case if the signal is downmixed to 16 bit / 44KHz (CD quality), but that may not be the case if you stick with the analogue inputs. There definitely will be a reduction in quality from "Direct" mode (Direct mode for analogue CD, AUX, etc. should give identical performance as the 5.1 inputs). How much the sound quality is reduced when bass management is engaged depends on the quality of the surround processor. I don't believe there is any downconverting of the analogue signal (correct me if I'm wrong), so a lot of the increased frequency response of SACD should be preserved in the processing.

My SCD-C222ES player has its own primitive form of bass management, and when it is engaged the sound degrades slightly from "Direct," but not to the extent that I'd call it "CD quality."

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You won't find an ICBM, in any store, anywhere, unless it's a used one. Outlaw equipment is sold online only. Very good equipment too........... [​IMG]

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    ... Used is the only way to get one now. It looks like they have discontinued the ICBM [​IMG] . Says so on their web site.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The ICBM has been discontinued for at least a year and a half.

If that is the case, then no, you don't even need bass management.