Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

300 - reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 01 2007 - 10:25 PM

7.5 of 10

It's all the gloss of modern music videos and commercials with all the blood fetish of recent actions flicks, including Miller's own Sin City and Taritino's Kill Bill. The tweeked out art direction and heavy handed stylization can border on annoying, but for me it was just slickly watchable in the same way some of Bruckheimer's stuff can be.

But then you had absolutely horrifyingly campy dialog at times, true misfires, and the general sloppy secondary story back in Sparta that ensured that you couldn't fully let go into that slick commercial for the entire running time.

My 7.5 is probably best said as 75% of the time I really enjoyed just looking at it, gimmics be damned, and 25% of the time it was painful to watch. I suppose my opinion is like Adam's except that I gave in to the gloss and enjoyed it for it's style over substance. In fact it's biggest missteps were when it tried to take itself too serious, that's where the worst dialog and worst scenes came from.

Most of the time this film felt like a 15 year old boy's fantasy rather than an historical epic, like drinking a cup of sugar water to wash down the Skittles.

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 01 2007 - 11:27 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed 300. I've never read the comic, sorry "Graphic Novel" but I know someone who did and thought the film was pretty faithful to it. Not a snoot-friendly film, comic book movies rarely are. I was disappointed with Troy and the various re-edits of Alexander and I'm happy to see this graphic stylized epic take off the way it did. Posted Image

All this talk of a drag queen playing Xerxes had me curious to find out who did play the Persian king -

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0763928/

Rodrigo Santoro? Apparently he appeared in episodes of Lost, here he is looking a lot more normal with Gerard Butler and the director of 300.

http://us.imdb.com/g....0Gerard&seq=18

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 07:50 AM

I thought it was fantastic. True, it's well beyond over the top (manically so in parts), but that was the intent!. This is not a serious historical epic that ends up being unintentionally funny, it's a historical epic seen and experienced through the eyes and pen of a comic book artist. Much like Sin City, it accomplishes what it sets out to do, and does so beautifully. Five stars from me, and I'll be seeing it again this weekend Posted Image
Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   ToddJ

ToddJ

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 11:01 AM

Does anyone have any good HQ stills from the movie? I would love to use them as wallpaper, but I can't find any good ones....

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,446 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 12 2007 - 11:06 AM

Movieweb is a great site for hi-res movie photos, I always pay it a visit -

http://media.moviewe....00FC-00008.jpg

http://www.movieweb.....9/index_hi.php

http://media.moviewe....90/hi/coml.jpg

Whoa! Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted August 10 2007 - 07:33 AM

9/10

Can't help but be reminded of Star Wars after watching this. I.e. the director used highly stylized imagery, classical (i.e. stitled) dialogue, and classical myth to tell an important story. And the story here is no less than our need to fight for freedom. Plenty of parallels to modern times here, whether the director and writers intended them or not. And that is refreshing in an age when most movies coming out of Hollywood ask us to question our response to 9/11, this is a movie that tells us that freedom is not only worth fighting for, but that the fight is inevitable.

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Josh.C

Josh.C

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 02:11 AM

This movie is a perfect 10 for me. I bought it 2 weeks ago, and I've already watched it a couple of times. It holds up very well to additional viewings. When it first came out, many labelled it as being great visually but not a great story. I will have to strongly disagree. I thought the story carried the movie, and the visual splendor just made the story that much better. I don't know where this fits on my all time greats list, but I can safelfy say it's already in the top 25.

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   42nd Street Freak

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted August 15 2007 - 09:28 PM

Thought it was excellent.
Loved the use of slow-mo to give images the look of comic book frames before slamming back into normal movement again.
Some of the images captured in the slow motion (indeed almost still) moments were awesome.
The battle stances, the flayling opponents, the flying blood, the sword movements, the battle rage , the turning to face more enemies, all captured in moments which otherwise you would miss (as people moan about a lot nowadays in jiggly, super fast, up close battles where it's hard to make things out).

Loved it.
Loved the balls out, unapologetic macho posturing of it all, loved the unapologetic attitude to defending your country, thought the visuals were stunning, the political trickery interesting and the mix of fact and fiction very well done.

Amazing from a technical stand point (the use of CGI was stunning) very exciting, very violent, lots of fun and a had a message at the end that few today seem to listen to..."This day we rescue a world from MYSTICISM and TYRANNY"!

That's "rescue from"...NOT "hand over to".
BEARDY FREAK REVIEWS
www.beardyfreak.com