What's new

300 - reviews (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I thoroughly enjoyed 300. I've never read the comic, sorry "Graphic Novel" but I know someone who did and thought the film was pretty faithful to it. Not a snoot-friendly film, comic book movies rarely are. I was disappointed with Troy and the various re-edits of Alexander and I'm happy to see this graphic stylized epic take off the way it did. :)

All this talk of a drag queen playing Xerxes had me curious to find out who did play the Persian king -

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0763928/

Rodrigo Santoro? Apparently he appeared in episodes of Lost, here he is looking a lot more normal with Gerard Butler and the director of 300.

http://us.imdb.com/gallery/scrapbook...0Gerard&seq=18

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I thought it was fantastic. True, it's well beyond over the top (manically so in parts), but that was the intent!. This is not a serious historical epic that ends up being unintentionally funny, it's a historical epic seen and experienced through the eyes and pen of a comic book artist. Much like Sin City, it accomplishes what it sets out to do, and does so beautifully. Five stars from me, and I'll be seeing it again this weekend :emoji_thumbsup:

ToddJ

Second Unit
Does anyone have any good HQ stills from the movie? I would love to use them as wallpaper, but I can't find any good ones....

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
9/10

Can't help but be reminded of Star Wars after watching this. I.e. the director used highly stylized imagery, classical (i.e. stitled) dialogue, and classical myth to tell an important story. And the story here is no less than our need to fight for freedom. Plenty of parallels to modern times here, whether the director and writers intended them or not. And that is refreshing in an age when most movies coming out of Hollywood ask us to question our response to 9/11, this is a movie that tells us that freedom is not only worth fighting for, but that the fight is inevitable.

Josh.C

Second Unit
This movie is a perfect 10 for me. I bought it 2 weeks ago, and I've already watched it a couple of times. It holds up very well to additional viewings. When it first came out, many labelled it as being great visually but not a great story. I will have to strongly disagree. I thought the story carried the movie, and the visual splendor just made the story that much better. I don't know where this fits on my all time greats list, but I can safelfy say it's already in the top 25.

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thought it was excellent.
Loved the use of slow-mo to give images the look of comic book frames before slamming back into normal movement again.
Some of the images captured in the slow motion (indeed almost still) moments were awesome.
The battle stances, the flayling opponents, the flying blood, the sword movements, the battle rage , the turning to face more enemies, all captured in moments which otherwise you would miss (as people moan about a lot nowadays in jiggly, super fast, up close battles where it's hard to make things out).

Loved it.
Loved the balls out, unapologetic macho posturing of it all, loved the unapologetic attitude to defending your country, thought the visuals were stunning, the political trickery interesting and the mix of fact and fiction very well done.

Amazing from a technical stand point (the use of CGI was stunning) very exciting, very violent, lots of fun and a had a message at the end that few today seem to listen to..."This day we rescue a world from MYSTICISM and TYRANNY"!

That's "rescue from"...NOT "hand over to".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks