-

Photo

Best way to keep track of your discs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 06:14 AM

I've been looking around for a decent online catalog for my DVDs, and I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I know someone here will have the answer, so after searching and coming up empty, I'm hoping I posted in the best forum.

What I really want is something simple, that can be accessed and updated online, and that can be viewed by other people (for picking gifts, picking out discs to borrow, etc.) and if I could keep track of what is being borrowed with it as well it would be awesome. I don't think I need or want all the complexity of DVD Profiler, and the only other one I've found that might look OK is here: http://www.dvdtown.com/moviedatabase/

Any suggestions?

#2 of 19 Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 06:36 AM

I just found DVDspot (www.dvdspot.com) which seems to fit the bill quite well, does anyone use it?

Naturally I'd find a good one right AFTER I make a post. Posted Image

#3 of 19 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 08:12 AM

DVD Aficionado was popular once.

#4 of 19 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,764 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 05 2007 - 08:29 AM

memory

kidding

I use DVDprofiler. you can see what it looks like online by clicking my "wallet" link. on your PC, you can set up friends and flag titels that youhave loaned out to them. there is a report you can use to list your titles on loan.

#5 of 19 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 09:31 AM

I would highly recommend dvdspot. it can even track how movies of an actor, director, and producer.. its a great online program.

Jacob

#6 of 19 Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 12:07 PM

Can anyone describe how the "filters" work on DVDspot? Can you use them to get a "view" only of the film box cover image, with none of the actor and director and review stuff? What are the "filters"? Please let me know!

Thanks!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#7 of 19 Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 12:49 PM

I still feel DVDProfiler is the leader in dvd cataloging software/web sites.

#8 of 19 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,007 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:50 PM

its a separate page when it does the top actor, director, producer.. it will list the movies with the dvd cover art.

Jacob

#9 of 19 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 02:14 PM

I use DVDSpot and have contributed over 450 submissions/tickets. The filters are basically to add your own stuff to your collection. I have filters (which you set up yourself) for films seperately by decade. It's far superior compared to DVDProfiler as everything is submitted easier. Don't see a UPC for a film in the database you have? Just copy and paste from a different UPC and add in all the digits from it. I've done that several times.
So all in all, I highly recommend DVDSpot as it feels more personal and what-not compared to more of an entity which is DVDProfiler. And it's far more efficient.
Shameless plug I know.Posted Image

#10 of 19 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,695 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 06 2007 - 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
I still feel DVDProfiler is the leader in dvd cataloging software/web sites.

I used to agree with you, but I have no hard drive space on my computer and couldn't keep 300+ titles on there plus everything for my iPod. So I migrated a couple years back to DVD Aficionado. I've recently gotten into DVD Spot...and I have to update my DVD Town collection...

#11 of 19 Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 04:51 AM

Well, I've signed up at DVDSpot and started to populate based on memory. I'll have to figure out how to direct link to my profile... Testing in my sig.

#12 of 19 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,958 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 06 2007 - 05:58 AM

I haven't updated my DVD profiler for sometime, and I need to reinstall on my new computer. Oi!
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#13 of 19 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 08:37 AM

I've been using an old version of MediaMan, which was free (new version is $39.95). I just tried to move over to DVDSpot and found it next to impossible to import a CSV file into it. YMMV. Whichever way you decide to go, you might check out their discussion forums (both imediaman.com and DVDSpot have them) to see what kinds of problems folks are having, before you get too heavily invested.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#14 of 19 MTRodaba2468

MTRodaba2468

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 05:01 PM

I've used DVDAfictionado.com for a long time.

#15 of 19 Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:07 AM

Looks like DVD Spot worked out for me, I have most of my movies up there now, and might even add a few of the ones that aren't in their database. Thanks for the tips everyone!

#16 of 19 Neal K

Neal K

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 08:02 AM

I've been trying DVD Spot for a little bit now, and it's great if they have the titles you have in the database, but if they don't, you're looking at a huge investment of time and effort! I tried to import my CSV file from DVD Profiler, and on each group of 50, almost 20 titles are not available, which means I must create a submission of each of those just to enter it?? With DVD Profiler I can at least enter a UPC and a title name, and then fill in the details later. If your collection is rather mainstream, go ahead and try DVD Spot. I'd think twice if you have many R2 titles, or much of R1 that is off the beaten path, even slightly. I WISH I had the time, because I like the setup, but life is too short!

#17 of 19 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,695 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 15 2007 - 08:08 AM

Neal, it may look like a huge time investment, but I can generally add a title in under 5 minutes into DVD Spot. You can find the various information (like the back cover blurb) on line and copy/paste. Adding the cast, director, etc. isn't tough since most names are already in the database. The most time consuming thing is to add individual episode names for each disc in a TV set.

#18 of 19 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 08:30 AM

I'm a contributor for DVDSpot and depending on where you know where to go for things needed, I usually fill the tickets out from anywhere to 5-30 minutes depending on title. I wish it was title-centric but still used the various different UPC's in a pull down thing. And if you ever notice where it says "Spot Contributions" and the user DarkGryphon2038, that's me.Posted Image

#19 of 19 Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 15 2007 - 10:47 AM

I've also used DVD Aficionado for years, and I'm really happy with their site.