What's new

Best way to keep track of your discs? (1 Viewer)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I've been looking around for a decent online catalog for my DVDs, and I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I know someone here will have the answer, so after searching and coming up empty, I'm hoping I posted in the best forum.

What I really want is something simple, that can be accessed and updated online, and that can be viewed by other people (for picking gifts, picking out discs to borrow, etc.) and if I could keep track of what is being borrowed with it as well it would be awesome. I don't think I need or want all the complexity of DVD Profiler, and the only other one I've found that might look OK is here: http://www.dvdtown.com/moviedatabase/

Any suggestions?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
memory

kidding

I use DVDprofiler. you can see what it looks like online by clicking my "wallet" link. on your PC, you can set up friends and flag titels that youhave loaned out to them. there is a report you can use to list your titles on loan.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would highly recommend dvdspot. it can even track how movies of an actor, director, and producer.. its a great online program.

Jacob

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Can anyone describe how the "filters" work on DVDspot? Can you use them to get a "view" only of the film box cover image, with none of the actor and director and review stuff? What are the "filters"? Please let me know!

Thanks!

MC

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its a separate page when it does the top actor, director, producer.. it will list the movies with the dvd cover art.

Jacob

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I use DVDSpot and have contributed over 450 submissions/tickets. The filters are basically to add your own stuff to your collection. I have filters (which you set up yourself) for films seperately by decade. It's far superior compared to DVDProfiler as everything is submitted easier. Don't see a UPC for a film in the database you have? Just copy and paste from a different UPC and add in all the digits from it. I've done that several times.
So all in all, I highly recommend DVDSpot as it feels more personal and what-not compared to more of an entity which is DVDProfiler. And it's far more efficient.
Shameless plug I know.:crazy:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I used to agree with you, but I have no hard drive space on my computer and couldn't keep 300+ titles on there plus everything for my iPod. So I migrated a couple years back to DVD Aficionado. I've recently gotten into DVD Spot...and I have to update my DVD Town collection...

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Well, I've signed up at DVDSpot and started to populate based on memory. I'll have to figure out how to direct link to my profile... Testing in my sig.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I've been using an old version of MediaMan, which was free (new version is $39.95). I just tried to move over to DVDSpot and found it next to impossible to import a CSV file into it. YMMV. Whichever way you decide to go, you might check out their discussion forums (both imediaman.com and DVDSpot have them) to see what kinds of problems folks are having, before you get too heavily invested.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Looks like DVD Spot worked out for me, I have most of my movies up there now, and might even add a few of the ones that aren't in their database. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Neal K

Agent
I've been trying DVD Spot for a little bit now, and it's great if they have the titles you have in the database, but if they don't, you're looking at a huge investment of time and effort! I tried to import my CSV file from DVD Profiler, and on each group of 50, almost 20 titles are not available, which means I must create a submission of each of those just to enter it?? With DVD Profiler I can at least enter a UPC and a title name, and then fill in the details later. If your collection is rather mainstream, go ahead and try DVD Spot. I'd think twice if you have many R2 titles, or much of R1 that is off the beaten path, even slightly. I WISH I had the time, because I like the setup, but life is too short!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Neal, it may look like a huge time investment, but I can generally add a title in under 5 minutes into DVD Spot. You can find the various information (like the back cover blurb) on line and copy/paste. Adding the cast, director, etc. isn't tough since most names are already in the database. The most time consuming thing is to add individual episode names for each disc in a TV set.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'm a contributor for DVDSpot and depending on where you know where to go for things needed, I usually fill the tickets out from anywhere to 5-30 minutes depending on title. I wish it was title-centric but still used the various different UPC's in a pull down thing. And if you ever notice where it says "Spot Contributions" and the user DarkGryphon2038, that's me.;)

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I've also used Link Removed for years, and I'm really happy with their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks