What's new

Why does my sub pop now and then? (1 Viewer)

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith
I bought a new sub a while back and after listening to it for a few minutes at low volume, I heard a small pop. I thought nothing of it and kept the music on. Sure enough 5-8 minutes later another small pop.

So, I took the sub back and got a new one, and not just the same one but a completely different model.

Took it home and hooked it up, put a different cd on and sure enough, every now and then it will make a small popping sound. Sometimes within 10 minutes, sometimes longer.

What could this be?

The sub is hooked up to the reciever through the LFE output and it's hooked up to the subs LFE input.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I've had the sub for almost thirty days and I wont be able to return it if I dont get it back within that time frame, I dont think I couldve purchased 2 seperate defective subs but, well, that's why I'm asking here.

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith
I have until the 28th to return, any ideas at all? I'm only running store bought movies and music through the system. No burned media.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
It's not the sub, probably your receiver or processor. My brother-in-law had an Onkyo receiver at one time. The sub would pop every time the receiver changed processing modes, for example going between a DVD's menu & the actual movie. He got a new receiver and the problem went away. Maybe something similar is going on with yours?

-Dave

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Just had another idea. Does the sub have auto turn on? Are you using it? You might be listening at a low enough volume such that the sub is turning off & back on causing a slight thump or pop.

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith
That's what I thought too, so I switched it to ON mode and it still did it. Also, the popping happens at random, not when I'm changing modes on the reciever, it's never done it there.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
It's either:

A) You have a defective receiver
B) You have a defective TV
C) You have a defective DVD/CD player
D) You bought 2 defective sub woofers

Try to see if any of these are the problem. First try hooking up the receiver to another TV with a different CD/DVD source. If it still pops, it's your receiver. If it doesn't pop then try the original CD/DVD source. If it doesn't pop, then it's probably your TV.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I dont see how this could be related in any way to your tv. I think bobbyG means Sub when he said TV. What kind of condition is your sub cable? no cuts or slices in it? also, does the popping sound happen at the exact same parts each time? if I had to guess right now, Id say its probably your reciever. your already tried a different sub, so I doubt its that.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Well, if he has the DVD/CD device connected to his TV, then his receiver, it's possible to be his TV.

Dave>h

Second Unit
My sub does this too.

I have no idea why and it only seems to d it when I switch inputs or am getting ready to start a movie. It is like it is expelling excess energy or static or something. The sub i have is a sunfire mkii and it is rated at 800 watts or something ridiculous like that so I just assume it is expending some power before getting to work...

I know that is no help but thought you might like to know someone else is experiencing the problem.

I have an older Yamaha DSP a1, which could also be the source of hte problem.

Regards,

DAve

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith

No cuts or slices in the cable, it's in perfect condition. The popping happens intermittently and when it does, I rewind the cd or movie and it does not do it in the same place.
I'm thinking it's the reciever too.

Thanks for all the input.

JurgenV

Grip
My sub also pops randomly. Although it's not completely random. When I've got a fan plugged into an electrical outlet that's on the same circuit as the sub (even in a different room), the sub will pop every time I turn the fan on/off... you might want to check if you have other electrical devices plugged in that could be causing the pops.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks