What's new

Polk Audio vs Bose Need Help! (1 Viewer)

Edis Sandzak

Auditioning
Real Name
Edis
This is my current setup:
1. Pioneer Elite vsx36tx
2. two Polk Audio Rti 70
3. Polk Audio CSi 30 (center)
4. two Polk Audio R20 (bookshelf) using them for surround
5. Polk Audio PSW 202 (Subwoofer)

My co-worker is selling his Bose lifestyle 25 II system for $350.
The cd/receiver/tuner thing is broken though.

My question: Should I buy it and replace my polk audio speakers, or maybe replace just the R20 bookshelfs and add another 2 bose for 7.1. ?

The reason i'm considering this is that i'm not that happy with the sound (for movies) i'm getting out of the r20s and the sub. I listen to music in stereo so the r20 aren't even used for that purpose.

i know that bose speakers are not supposed to be hooked up to anything other than bose receiver, but i can tune my receiver to compensate for that. (A lot of sweat options on that thing)

BTW i know how everyone feels about bose on this forum (i dont like them either, because of overpricing, sound is ok i think) but at $350 its a great deal.

Oh yeah, this is my first post, so be NICE :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I definitely wouldn't go with the Bose. Do you have a problem with the R20s? Why not just add another pair of Polks for 7.1?

One thing I would replace for sure is that sub.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
You might try getting a pair of Polk RtiFX or Rti4's for the back. Or perhaps you need a more powerful subwoofer. It really depends on what sort of sound is lacking.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
new sub and a pair of fxi3/5s. Im a polkie also and went from having a pair of Bose in my rear surrounds. I now have a 7.1 polk audio setup. I love every bit of it. Just upgrade your polks, add a SVS sub and you will be ok

Edis Sandzak

Auditioning
Real Name
Edis
I bought the bose speakers and hooked them up today. NOTHING SPECIAL!!
I get a lot better sound out of my front and center with polk, but the bose are a lot better for my surround and the sub is much better than my polk.

I have decided to sell the bose speakers and also my polk surrounds and the sub.

I am currently looking at the Dayton MKIII Titanic powered subwoofer from partsexpress. (the whole package, 500w amp and the rest)
Is anybody familiar with them, how will it compare to the polk audio PSW505?
are there better subs for that price range (around $500)

For the new surrounds i defenitely want to stick with polk audio.
Rti4 or fxi3.

I'd like to thank everyone who has taken their taime to help me out with this. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Polk's strength is not in building subs IMO. The Titanic subs will eat them alive. Around $500, there are the SVS PB-10 ($429), the HSU VTF-2Mk3 ($499) and the HSU STF-3 ($479). I've owned a previous version of the VTF-2 and it was a fine sub. I have also owned the PB-10 and it is damn solid for the price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm sure we can queue someone to post a dissertation on how Hsu is simply the only thing to buy and that you should listen with your head actually placed inside the port for best extension and SPL, but either Hsu or SVS will give you a massive bang for your buck. I think the plan of going with the new Polk surrounds and a better sub is the course to take. Experiment with placement of both the surrounds and sub, and be sure to calibrate them before making decisions.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

But do you like them for Music?

I have usually found that inexpensive/less-accurate speakers do great for home theater, but show flaws when exposed to music. This is why people recommend taking a few favorite CD's with them to stores for auditions.

If you like the Polks for your music - stick with them and try the sub upgrade for movies. (A good sub is an asset for both).

I'm a loyal SVS fan, but even the owners of SVS have praise for HSU subs. For a while, you could actually audition HSU subs at CompUSA stores. The demo rooms are poor, but you actually get to touch/listen.

JaceTheAce

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
No! Don't touch the Bose - they'll sound far worse than your current setup. Avoid Bose at all costs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks