-

Photo
- - - - -

Any suggestions for a CD/clock/radio/alarm?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 08:40 AM

Getting tired of listening to the same bad FM stations when I get up in the morning. I don't know if a clock/radio with a CD player is a common thing? And then the unit would have to remember what tracks have already been listened to, to play the next one the next morning.

Thanks !
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 09:07 AM

Sony has a number of CD Clock Radio's available. I got one for my sister a couple of years ago, she still loves it. They are priced at $40-$100.

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Andy_A

Andy_A

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 11:06 AM

I have one from GE from a few years ago. Don't think it remembered what had been played and then played the next song, but I doubt there are any like that. This one could be set to wake up on a certain track, but by the time it queued up, it was so loud that I was already awake. Also, the display was way too bright...

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 11 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hi Kevin

I have a Denon DT-400...it is probably the best clock radio ever...it has two 22 watt RMS amps and a separate stereo speaker in a pretty good sized box...acoustic suspension...great bass...no longer made...I paid $200. Consider Cambridge Sound Works CD Clock Radios

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 12:15 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for the suggestions!
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown
Good stuff. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi Kevin

I may need another good clock radio...please let me know what you choose.

Thanks In Advance

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 12:11 PM

I went to Frys today. They had AM/FM clock radios, others with iPods integrated with them, CD boomboxes, but not a single CD clock radio. Guess I need to keep looking.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 10:54 PM

Quote:
I went to Frys today. They had AM/FM clock radios, others with iPods integrated with them, CD boomboxes, but not a single CD clock radio. Guess I need to keep looking.

Hi Kevin

Please let me know what you find.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 14 2007 - 12:15 PM

Arthur- I found a Panasonic CD350, but it doesn't get great reviews, and a Sony CD855 where I can't find any reviews for it. (Might just have to take a chance, but I am still looking.) I really like Cambridge Soundworks stuff, but at $350, their CD alarm clock radio is just too much. I'll post what I end up with and how it works out. Even for the Panny reviews I found, they didn't say if it had the feature of playing subsequent CD tracks on different days. The bad reviews are for too difficult to program, a display that's too bright at night and can't be turned down, and only one alarm can be used with the radio (2 alarms with buzzers) kind of thing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 12:39 PM

Quote:
Arthur- I found a Panasonic CD350, but it doesn't get great reviews, and a Sony CD855 where I can't find any reviews for it. (Might just have to take a chance, but I am still looking.) I really like Cambridge Soundworks stuff, but at $350, their CD alarm clock radio is just too much. I'll post what I end up with and how it works out. Even for the Panny reviews I found, they didn't say if it had the feature of playing subsequent CD tracks on different days. The bad reviews are for too difficult to program, a display that's too bright at night and can't be turned down, and only one alarm can be used with the radio (2 alarms with buzzers) kind of thing.

Hi Kevin

I took a look at both of the clock radios you mentioned above...I like both of them...I think I like the look of the Panasonic better, without listening...it looks to me that the Panasonic might have better sound quality...please let me know if you listen to either or both of them.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 01:06 PM

My wife and I each have a Phillips. Think it was about $50. Dual alarms, good CD quality. Wake up to soothing sounds instead of BWA BWA BWA.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 15 2007 - 01:08 PM

here. It's unavailable on amazon, but you can search other places

http://www.amazon.co....&s=electronics

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 01:22 PM

Chris- Does it play successive CD tracks on different days? I.e., it remembers where you shut it off the day before?

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Chris- Does it play successive CD tracks on different days? I.e., it remembers where you shut it off the day before?

Hi Kevin

If you find the Phillips, please let me know.

Thanks In Advance

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Andy_A

Andy_A

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty certain you won't find one that does that. Your best hope would be one that you program, then you easily change to the next track for the next day. When I bought the GE a few years back, I actually auditioned all the models with a cd (in the Circuit City) and chose the GE, which sounded the best. I think it had to do with the fact that it had two stereo speakers on each side of the unit. I just realized I haven't used the GE in a couple of years so let me know if you'd like to try it (it is pretty much new) and I'd let it go cheap...

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted February 19 2007 - 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_A
I'm pretty certain you won't find one that does that. Your best hope would be one that you program, then you easily change to the next track for the next day. When I bought the GE a few years back, I actually auditioned all the models with a cd (in the Circuit City) and chose the GE, which sounded the best. I think it had to do with the fact that it had two stereo speakers on each side of the unit. I just realized I haven't used the GE in a couple of years so let me know if you'd like to try it (it is pretty much new) and I'd let it go cheap...

Hi Andy

If ChrisClearman is not interested in the GE...I may well be interested in it. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   ChrisClearman

ChrisClearman

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 11:38 AM

Amazon does have the newer model of that Phillips player I posted about. Just do a search.

You can choose the track for it to start up with, and the next day it starts over on that track. It does not pick up where it last was.

I have hit snooze enough to where it gets to the next track though!

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 01:37 PM

OK, I'll check it out.

I don't know, I would think that remembering what track it ended with, to begin the next track the next morning would be a no-brainer. The player in my wife's car does it.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Andy_A

Andy_A

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted February 21 2007 - 02:13 PM

I can assure you I've never seen one that does this. All the ones I've seen must have the track set and the wake up track doesn't change unless you actually change it yourself, sort of like setting the time. I think you may be on a wild goose chase...

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow