Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sound cards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   audioslayve

audioslayve

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:46 AM

I am looking for a new sound card, and looking for suggestions... Right now I have an X-FI platinum, problems after problems. I need a card with several digital in's and out's. ( both digital coax, and optical ) Is there any cards that are not external that just have digital in's and out's? That will also do dolby d and DTS bitstream, all the time? Any suggestions please...

audioslayve

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 06:13 AM

See http://www.techrepor....s/index.x?pg=1 - those will do DD and DTS all the time. Good timing on the question, I spotted that review earlier today.

Unfortunately they say the X-Fi is better than those.

Not sure what other alternatives you have, but the "dd and dts encoding all the time" part may make your quest more difficult.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   audioslayve

audioslayve

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 06:38 AM

The X-fi does not stream true dolby d, plus I'm having problems with the analog outputs shorting out... I've tried swaping pci slots and the whole nine. I really don't even need analog out, just a couple digitals, and a few digital in's. Preferably I'd like an actual card and not an external usb, or firewire piece.

audioslayve

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Gary.H

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'm also looking for the same thing i want dd and dts digital to my receiver. I ran across this yesterday and posted it in the thread about my receiver hum problem. is this a possability? what do people think of this? has anyone ever used it?

http://www.cablestog....=112&sku=22327

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   audioslayve

audioslayve

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 05 2007 - 05:14 PM

I was looking at the home theater connect accessory, from creative... I'm almost sick of creative though at this point. Their warranty, and customer support really blows. I might get one of these HT connects, unless I find somthing else better for the money..

audioslayve

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Gary.H

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 01:08 AM

i actually did find a sound card with an optical out that passes dolby dogital and dts. check it out and it's only $29.99

http://turtlebeach.c....roducthome.asp

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 10 2007 - 08:28 PM

You might want to have a look at the cards from auzentech. for some idiotic reason I seem to be unable to post the url, but you can easily dervie it yourself (just add the usual www and com)....

Their Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 seems the card you'd most like (has both digital coax and optical inputs and outputs.

I myself have the Auzen X-plosion 7.1 DTS connect and it is an excellent sound card.

Both cards do dolby digital and DTS conversion of analog sound on the fly.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Norris

Norris

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tilburgs
You might want to have a look at the cards from auzentech. for some idiotic reason I seem to be unable to post the url, but you can easily dervie it yourself (just add the usual www and com)....

Their Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 seems the card you'd most like (has both digital coax and optical inputs and outputs.

I myself have the Auzen X-plosion 7.1 DTS connect and it is an excellent sound card.

Both cards do dolby digital and DTS conversion of analog sound on the fly.

Paul,

Is this the card you have?
http://www.newegg.co....82E16829156001

The user reviews on the right-hand side of the page indicates some problems with the driver/installation. Did you encounter any at all? How do you connect the card to your receiver?

Thanks,

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 08:11 AM

yep, that's the card I have. I installed it using the latest XP drivers (02/07/2007) and it works great. I have it connected using a digital coax cable to my old Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Theater 5.1 dolby digital decoder. I hyave had no problems whatsoever so far.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
I installed it using the latest XP drivers (02/07/2007) and it works great.

Oops, sorry, my mistake: I'm using the XP drivers (XP 32bits), version: 5_12_1_47_4_32BIT, dated 1/11/2007.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Norris

Norris

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted February 12 2007 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
Oops, sorry, my mistake: I'm using the XP drivers (XP 32bits), version: 5_12_1_47_4_32BIT, dated 1/11/2007.

Is that included on the CD shipped with the card, or did you download it off their website? I'm leaning towards that card to connect it to my Harman Kardon receiver.

Thanks,

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris
Is that included on the CD shipped with the card, or did you download it off their website?

I downloaded it from their website. I have no issues with the drivers (note : before installation I did disable the on board sound controller on my motherboard. You should also first remove any previously installed audio drivers (in my case, due to other problems, I did a complete re-install of windows XP). Anyway, the user guide points all this out (and you can download the user guide if you want to have a look at it before buying)).

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   audioslayve

audioslayve

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 02:15 PM

I'll look into these Auzens, thanks paul...

By the way, this PC I built for mostly media, and experimental use for new media hardware. Obviously by that remark, i'm running media center edition 2005. ( well it's only because i'm waiting for Vista to come alive ) As far as drivers go, will I run into any problems with playing all my media through media center and not their player software?

Some genious with lots of money should build a card that suits all of the media pc needs...Posted Image lol

audioslayve

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted February 14 2007 - 05:44 AM

I have the X-Meridian 7.1 that I use with Media Center. I am able to play my back the audio from my CDs, DVDs, PVR, etc. through the card with no problem at all. I can also drop out of Media Center and use Power DVD through the card no program. I output the audio through the optical digital outs and input this into my receiver for my HT.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

Back to Computers

Forum Nav Content I Follow