Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

12 Monkeys / La Jetee - Criterion release coming?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 11:03 AM

I have just received the January Criterion Collection newsletter, and at the end, they include cartoon pointing to the next release.

The picture shows 12 monkeys sitting around, with one monkey saying "Marker your calenders ... the sun's finally coming out!"

The inclusion of 12 monkeys obviously points to the Gilliam film, and obviously Gilliam already has a relationship with Criterion.

The word "Marker" is an obvious reference to Chris Marker, whose short film La Jetee was the basis for the Gilliam, and would be an ideal extra on a 12 Monkeys disc.

The reference to "the sun's finally coming out". The only explanation I can think of is that it's a full Criterion release, rather than just a smaller Eclipse-line release - but perhaps others can offer comment.

So my theory is a 12 Monkeys release, with La Jetee as a special feature.

But there are other possiblities - perhaps a release of Chris Marker films or something - perhaps any Marker fans could offer comment.

In any case, I thought I would bring this to everyone's attention.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 12:42 PM

The twelve monkeys are likely just an allusion to La Jetee. I can't imagine that Criterion would have much interest in Twelve Monkeys when Universal has such a thorough edition available. The bit about the sun finally coming out refers to Marker's Sans Soleil(Sunless). I would expect a single disc with the two Marker films.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted January 18 2007 - 03:16 PM

i was just watching La Jetee last night on the short cinema journal volume 2 Dreams. It is pretty extensive with a commentary by Gilliam and a seperate commentary by the screenwriters of 12 monkeys. i could see 12 monkeys happening since Gilliam and Universal seem to work well with Criterion. Criterion put out Dazed & Confused when universal already had a nice disc out...who knows, but i would welcome either.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 19 2007 - 07:07 AM

I'm fairly certain that "the sun's finally coming out" is a reference to Chris Marker's film "Sans soleil", which has been released already in a set with "La Jetee" in England. I'm guessing it's both of those films, as they've been rumored for some time as coming soon from Criterion. And while a Criterion "12 Monkeys" would be an OK entry, I guess, I just don't think the world needs another release as the Universal one is fine. And there's no way that Criterion would relegate "La Jetee" to a mere "special feature" on a 12 Monkeys release. Other people may view it differently, but cineastes and the folks at Criterion certainly consider "La Jetee" to be a major work whereas "12 Monkeys" is not even major Gilliam (though I like it well enough). But, who knows, maybe we'll see "12 Monkeys" from Criterion, as well. Hopefully, this also means that we'll see a release on the Eclipse line of Marker's lesser known films. And hopefully we'll see a new release of "Andrei Rublev" this year that includes Marker's great Tarkovsky documentary "A Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenevitch" (sorta like the way Criterion included his Kurosawa doc "A.K." on the "Ran" release).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted January 20 2007 - 04:01 AM

I take it then that Gilliam based 12 Monkeys on La Jetee
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 20 2007 - 04:52 AM

BINGO! Dugger

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,896 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 20 2007 - 08:49 AM

Gilliam has certainly had other films show up on Criterion after they were released on other studio labels (FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS is another, and a decidedly lesser film than 12 MONKEYS), so we might well get a Criterion 12 MONKEYS. I'd love to see it.

#8 of 12 Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Guest_Chris*Liberti_*

Posted January 20 2007 - 11:03 AM

I can only hope for a La Jetee release. I have an old copy of it on VHS that needs a replacement.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 05:06 AM

Chris, I think it's better than "only hope"! At this point, I'd wager that a "La Jetee/Sans Soliel" release is practically a sure-thing from Criterion (but hopefully with a bunch of Marker shorts included, and a subsequent Eclipse line boxset). It's been all-but-confirmed from Criterion for some time now, and the newsletter hint is pretty much an on-the-nose announcement.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,034 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 11:27 AM

My comment in the first post about a 12 Monkeys / La Jetee set was just a guess (and Gilliam's prior relationship with Criterion was a strengthening point in my mind), and I did say that a release of Marker films was also a possibility - hearing from some Marker fans interpreting the "sun" comment as a reference to Sans Soleil does swing it. In any case, I am interested in a Marker release. I've only ever seen La Jetee, but really did like it, and am curious to see more of his work.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Martin Teller

Martin Teller

Screenwriter

• 2,414 posts

Posted January 23 2007 - 03:28 AM

Marker's A.K. is on the Criterion DVD for Ran.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users