What's new

Samsung BDP-1000 problem (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I've had mine for a couple of months and have watched a few BR movies without any problems to speak of till this evening. I put in a brand new BR DVD and the player would not load the disc. There was a message on the screen saying the disc could not be played.

I tried a few more BR DVD's that we've watched with out any problems in the past...none of them will load!

Next step was to try a SD DVD...loaded without any problems at all.

Went back to another previously viewed BR DVD...same damn thing! Front panel display says NO DISC!

I even tried pulling the plug and letting the unit sit for a minute or two before plugging it back in. Same problem. :angry:

Before you ask, yes I installed the firmware update the same day I bought the player.

Anyone else experience this mess?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How do you have the player hooked up? Also which BRD are you having trouble loading?

Crawdaddy

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Connected via component video.

The problem occurs with any BR disc I put in the damn thing.

My intial thought was I got a bad disc, it's happened before but this would be the first defective BR DVD for me.

I've tried Superman, Sky Capt., Stargate, etc, all with the same result.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If it's all of the discs then it's the player. Have you tried unplugging the player for a minute or so then turning it on again to see if rebooting the player corrects the problem?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Withouts any further evidence, it sounds like something happening to the laser. Dies the Samsung have a single laser for both dvd and BR and does it refocus itself to play one format vs the other? Maybe you could try cleaning the laser with a lser cleaner disk although I don't know if that would work. I assume it is still under warranty if it comes to that?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Well I'm going to be sending the unit in to be repaired. Less than sixty days and only a few movies and it crapped out. I'm not impressed.

Heresy

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Weird stuff happens with delicate electronic equipment (of course it sucks when it happens to you) but this is the first I've seen of a problem like this on the Samsung so it's probably just a fluke thing.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Good luck with the fix. I am sure once resolved that things will be ok and that you will be able to fully enjoy your movies in HD again.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The player won't even do a firmware update now.

I think I'll ebay it after it comes back from the shop and stick with a name I've had better luck with in the past.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Well this just keeps getting better and better. I dropped off the player at a UPS store on 1-9-07. I made it's way to Denver on the same day (Arrival Scan) and no further moveemnt.

I called UPs and they told me a trace has to be requested but I'm not allowed to request it because I didn't pay for shipping. WTF!?!?

I called Samsung and and made it through 3 different levels of Customer Service before getting a trace started. I was told that if UPS has lost the player that Samsung will file a claim and I'll get a replacement. If a claim is filed it will take 1-8 days for UPS to process it.

Great way to start the week.:angry:

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Well mine FINALLY made it to CEV in New Jersey. No activity on the UPS site for 7 days and after I called Samsung the Package Trace verified the box was actually in NJ.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Just got it back this afternoon from CVE.

The unit sure as shit didn't come back the same way it left my house. It WAS flawless. Not a speck of dust on it, and no scratches. Now the top is scratched and dinged up.

Think that's bad...IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!!

Un-Freakin'-Believable! I talked to the Level One tech support person at Samsung before plugging the unit in and trying it out. I didn't want to do anything until I talked to them about the cosmetic condition. She agreed that the unit should have been returned in the same condition I sent it in. She told me to try the unit to see if it now worked. I tried calling back but they had already closed. You can bet your arse that I'll be on the phone at Zero Dark Thirty in the morning!

Gawd I'm pissed!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Maybe its time to talk to someone much higher up the chain of command and get yourself a replacement (new) player for your troubles.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I think I've been a good little customer, but as of today I'm beginning to get the urge to choke the snot outta somebody.

As instructed yesterday by Samsung Tech Support, I called back this morning to talk to someone in the "Extended Customer Care" department. After trying for 2 HOURS to get through on their 800 number I finally get to the point where I'm on hold for the next available operator. I'm not makin' this up...I sat on hold for 30 minutes! The guy answers the phone and I go through 5 minutes of who I am, where I live, what my phone numbers are, etc, etc, etc..."Have you ever called Samsung Tech Support before?" They've got a record of all of calls every customer makes to them!!!

So I tell the tech-guy about the direction I received to call back today and ask for the other department so that I can get some resolution.

I get "Sorry Sir, That department is closed on the weekends. Are you sure you were told to call back today?" Heavy sigh from me and I ask to talk to his supervisor. The supervisor won't get on the phone to talk to me so the guy I'm talking to tries to put me through to the next department's voice mail, problem is that there is no voice mail system. All I got was a message saying that they are closed for the weekend (probably at home watching a good BR Player) and to call back when they're open.

Mr. Tech Support gives me some lame B.S. about how he's gonna send the other person that told me to call today a "Nasty Email" about all of this. Well La-tee-Freakin' da! What the heck is a "Nasty Email" gonna do for me and my BR Player that doesn't work....STILL!

I'll say it again, I'm not doin' this for a "Freebie" or anything like that. I just want my damn player to work and I want in the same condition that it was in when I sent it out.

Is that asking too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks