What's new

HDMI 1.3 Receivers? (1 Viewer)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I am looking for when Pioneer will release their version of the 1016 (maybe 1017) that will have HDMI 1.3. Anybody know?

Also, now I have
-53" widescreen Panny HDMI 1.1 TV
-Sony Upconvert DVD player via HDMI in to TV
-Pioneer 811S Receiver using optical audio in

Am I right in thinking I can purchase a new 1.3 receiver and have it be the "hub" for HDMI connections coming from DVD player, HD Cable and others? Their signal would go in to receiver and one HDMI out to the TV that is 1.1? In this the only thing that should be going to the TV is the 1080i picture. The audio would then be the new HD Dolby/DTS into the receiver?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
All major brands including Pioneer will be announcing HDMI 1.3 receivers next week at CES, but for now things are mostly hush hush :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Any particular reason you want HDMI 1.3? You didn't list an HD DVD player, although that's the only thing that uses TrueHD. And you needn't wait for HDMI 1.3 for anything, the HD DVD player does the decoding of True HD and sends it as LPCM digital to a receiver with (at least) HDMI 1.1. There's no advantage to sending the encoded stream to a capable receiver (even if there were any), it actually works better the first way.

serrada

Auditioning
Real Name
Colin

How long after the CES do you think the new receivers will be available?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Early Spring would be my best guess... April/May?

More details to be released this week at CES of course!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Pioneer announcement (engadget)

From reading various threads on AVS forum, I've come to the conclusion that HDMI1.3 is probably irrelevant. Of course consumers will want (and pay for) the latest spec, but it'll actually be doing nothing significant over HDMI1.2a

The only thing about 2007 receivers is they will hopefully have sorted out the silliness about some receivers with HDMI not amplifying multichannel LPCM over HDMI (passthrough audio, WTF), and properly doing the BM etc.

4VTHOKIES

Agent
Real Name
Ted Pugh

So true, so true even when the new receivers/pre/pros come out with HDMI 1.3 and they incorporate the new uncompressed audio codecs the player will still do the decoding. That is part of the deal with HDMI licensing. So by buying an HDMI 1.3 receiver that handles the new audio codecs will in all essence be a waste of funds when 1.1 or 1.2 will work just fine. Just make sure your HD DVD or Blu-Ray player can output the new audio.

ndb1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Bailey
hi everyone :) - a new member to the site, I am in the process of buying a complete system (sony 46w2000, denon 2930, B&W mt-30 or kef 3005, pioneer, denon or yamaha amp which outputs 1080p, sky hd and also a ps3 when its released in March) and have been doing some investigating before spending my hard earned cash! I have been reading some threads which clearly state a big improvement audio and colour wise when hdmi1.3 is released but in order to get these benefits the whole system including screen must have an hdmi1.3 connection. I already hdmi1.3 will future proof the system for a couple of years at least. On reflection, I thought it was better to wait before spending £6k as it seems that after the release of PS3 a lot of kit will be released with HDMI1.3 and denon and a few others have already stated all of their receivers for 07 will be released with hdmi 1.3. As I misusing something because from reading the posts it seems to get the benefits of hdmi 1.3 only the DVD or BD player needs to output 1.3 and not the amp or the tv? Is thats correct, why do the screens and amps need to have 1.3? Please help!

FeisalK

Screenwriter
HDMI versions are backwards compatible, and the best is to have all of the same versions. A HDMI 1.3 output will not be fully utilized if the input on the receiver is HDMI1.1 or 1.2 - it will still pass multichannel LPCM audio and video up to the capabilities of the lower version numbers.

So even if your PS3 can output - for example - TrueHD on its HDMI 1.3, a 1.2 receiver won't be able to get it, but if the PS3 outputs a multichannel PCM stream it will accept it

ndb1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Bailey

Thanks for the reply Feisel, so it is correct that to get the full benefits of HDMI such as improved colour definition and the benefits of sound such as TrueHD...I need HDMI output/connections on everything?

I presume by backwards compatible, in novice terms (which I am!), this means the set up will work if say for instance the TV only has hdmi1.2 but only then on the basis of hdmi1.2 for everything?

If you were gonna spend around $10,000+ on a complete system from scratch, would you wait for hdmi1.3 products?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Decoding in the receiver will be mostly superfluous as most discs (Advanced Content) will require decoding in the player, but how can it not support audio through HDMI? Do you mean the endecoded bitstreams, or LPCM?

Chris Huber

Second Unit

I just know it's the latest thing. When I upgrade, I want to know it'll be good for a while. Plus, I am interested in getting all i can out of sound...

So, you guys are saying that I can get Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD with hdmi 1.1 receiver?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the players have the decoders (not many have DTS-HD yet)and send the audio out as LPCM over HDMI to a 1.1 receiver that can accept it. Even a Panasonic XR57 can do this.
It's generally assumed that a receiver needs to be able to decode, like we've had for a decade with DD/DTS, but this works somewhat differently.
I'm sure the 1.3 receivers will be fantastic in many ways, not a knock on them, but you can get the full quality of lossless audio formats now without 1.3.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

No electronic will be good for awhile unless you mean for a year or two.

ndb1970

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick Bailey
hello guys, thanks for all the information, do you think its better to wait for a while before buying a complete system? I think I would prefer to get KIT with hdmi1.3 if there are any benefits which I am still confused as to whether there are. I thought that HDMI1.3 will be an improvement and all of the outputs must have 1.3 to get the benfits otherwise it will still work but will then just output on 1.2a or 1.1 etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks