What's new

Blu-ray is in the house (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Today my Samsung Blu-ray player arrived, props to Amazon, it would have been here in 3 days if not for the long holiday and the shipping was free. I'll set the Sammy atop my HD-A1.

It was like Christmas today. The player arrived, my Monoprice HDMI switcher arrived and my DC copy of Kingdom of Heaven. Now to hook it all up and have some fun. For me this format war is now over.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Congrat Ron. Great movie to start off with too!! I watched ICE Age 2 last night on BR, wow, it's just amazing the clarity and detail the fur of the animals. Wife agrees.. we need a bigger TV, the 56" isn't enough now :)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congrats Ron. KOH was the first title that I watched on my system as well.

Hank, looks like you are a FP candidate.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Congratulations Ron and welcome to the club! My Samsung arrived last Friday, but I've been too busy watching movies to post anything about it. I've already gone through my first five movies (Ice Age: Meltdown, Monster House, Black Hawk Down, Crash, and Total Recall). Time to order some more. This player has made collecting and watching movies fun again!

I think you're in for a real treat.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Congrats and enjoy!

Out of curiosity which HMDI switch did you get and how does it look so far? Being a digital signal I would be surprised if there was a degredation in quality but I'd like to hear what you think.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks all, I can't wait to get it up and running but it will have to wait until tomorrrow I don't have time today.

I'll let you know tomorrow when it's hooked up and running. It's a Monoprice switcher and they've gotten good reviews over at AVS.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

I also bought an HDMI switcher (SIMA) and am very pleased with it. I paid 169 CAD from London Drugs for a 3x1 and it has performed flawlessly. The only thing that bears mention is that you MUST set the switcher to the correct input BEFORE you turn on the HDA1, or you will have handshake issues. I now put the TV and switcher to the corrrect inputs, and THEN turn on the HDA1. In my discussions with RAF about switchers, he suggest that most switchers will likely behave this way. If you are looking for a switcher, as opposd to a processor, you will find a number of them in the $100 - $200 USD range that will do the job very nicely. Some also do audio switching, however, you should not need that. I have the HDA1 hooked up via analog inputs, and the rest of my devices via coax or optical to the corresponding inputs on my Denon 2803 and everything performs in a most excellent fashion!.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I use the Monoprice 5 X 1 switcher with two upconverting DVD players, a Time Warner Digital cable box w/DVR, and a Playstation 3 as my Blu-ray player.

The switcher works flawlessly, and I simply love Blu-ray. I've become a Blu-ray junkie. I just wish the additional BDs I've ordered would come already. I certainly manage to rewatch some of my others almost every day because they look so stunning. I recommend THE SEARCHERS and CORPSE BRIDE among the others previously mentioned. FANTASTIC 4 also looked awesome.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have Corpse on HD-DVD but F4, yeah, gonna have to pick that one up if even for the scene on the bridge. :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
congrats, Ron!
Big Fish is coming for BD too soon!
Kingdom looks AMAZING!

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Hank_P

Second Unit

If I had a room where I could really control the light, I WOULD have one. But now, looking at the 65+" range. Waiting on the new TV's with 1.3. The ol' CRT Toshiba is still going strong and looking fantastic. It was my first big screen experience, and very glad it has been so problem free.

It's great when the wife supports your hobby, and is even blow away with the Blu Ray & HD DVD picture.. just gives me more support.

..soooooooo RON.. did you get it all hooked up.. what do you think??

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
After watching Kingdom of Heaven tonight I can honestly say that it is just as impressive as HD-DVDs PQ. Color saturation, sharpness, detail, black levels, it's all there and the resulting PQ is fantastic. I also spun parts of Pearl Harbor and it's just as impressive.

The Sammy player puts out a fine image and not a single hickup in the 3 hour Kingom of Heaven. Load times are about half that of my A1 but the menu nav seems to be about the same, maybe a bit faster but not by much.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Glad you are enjoying the Sammy, Ron.

I moved the Sony BDP-S1 up to the big rig so I could play around with the uncompressed BD soundtracks via discrete 5.1 analog. Three hours later, the Sony now has a permanent place in the rack. I just need to reprogram the Harmony remote to make it official.

The first disc I played all the way through, with spectacular results, was Speed. Then I put on Kingdom of Heaven, which although void of features is still incredible demo material.

Rise a knight!

Now I think I'll put on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and see how the Dolby TrueHD track fares. Isn't it great having both formats available?

- Steve

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
"Now I think I'll put on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and see how the Dolby TrueHD track fares."

Is this available on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Or are you referring to a soundtrack?

Heresy

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Nevermind; didn't realize it was out in the UK (and has been for a long time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks