-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Michael "Kramer" Richards racist tirade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 02:32 PM

TMZ has posted video of Michael Richards going on a racist tirade directed at hecklers in a comedy club.

#2 of 93 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,665 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 02:46 PM

Michael Richards will be on with Jerry Seinfeld on Letterman tonight to delivery his apology for his meltdown.

Folks, this thread will be closed down if the discussion gets too racially heated.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 93 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 03:12 PM

Saw this on DVDTalk...freakin' brilliant.

Parody poster

Posted Image

#4 of 93 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 03:34 PM

David Letterman has got to be loving this. Puts him completely in the spotlight for having the exclusive on this one. Good for Dave. This could be his moment ala the apology on Leno by Hugh Grant for the hooker years back..
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#5 of 93 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 04:21 PM

I would imagine an experienced stand up comedian would know how to deal with hecklers, right ?

Possibly Cosmo wasn't adept at this, or off his medication.

Of course, he could have gone a totally different route and whack the dude with his geetar like this cowboy:

okay, shows over.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#6 of 93 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 05:58 PM

Just saw Letterman, boy time hasn't been good to Cosmo. He looked horrible.

Glad Seinfeld told the audience to shut up and that it wasn't funny when Michael was talking.

Sure his outburst was over the edge, but I hate hecklers more, as a performer and an audience member.

#7 of 93 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 01:51 AM

Richards dropped the ball on his "apology." The Entertainment Weekly blog for today sums it up nicely: he should've said he was sorry and that what he did was wrong. Instead, he just rambled for 5 minutes. Seinfeld and Lettermen were way too easy on him. Don't really think I'll be able to watch Seinfeld the same way again.

#8 of 93 todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 02:31 AM

never watching seinfeld again or buying their products. goodbye Cosmo
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#9 of 93 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:04 AM

I certainly do not condone Richard's actions but isn't it a bit unfair that the hecklers are being viewed as victims?

They were being rude and opened themselves up to this. I hate hecklers. They think they are above civility. It is rude to think that everyone in the audience want to hear them talk. If they would have just been quiet, it would never have happened.

I know that Richards crossed the line with what he said, but it is very hypocritical to say the Hecklers have freedom of speech to interrupt a person who is working, possible destroying the show for others and yet get mad at someone for saying a naughty word.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#10 of 93 David Hobbes

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
I certainly do not condone Richard's actions but isn't it a bit unfair that the hecklers are being viewed as victims?

They were being rude and opened themselves up to this. I hate hecklers. They think they are above civility. It is rude to think that everyone in the audience want to hear them talk. If they would have just been quiet, it would never have happened.

I know that Richards crossed the line with what he said, but it is very hypocritical to say the Hecklers have freedom of speech to interrupt a person who is working, possible destroying the show for others and yet get mad at someone for saying a naughty word.

i understand what you are saying, but he could have called him an a$$hole or a piece of sh!t or something else instead of trotting out the n-word.

#11 of 93 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:12 AM

Of course there was a Seinfeld ep. dealing with hecklers. I'm sure someone's working on the mashup now. Should be good.

#12 of 93 Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:14 AM

Can't blame the audience for laughing, his "apology" sounded like nothing more than another drawn out bit. He was mad at the heckler(s) and went instantly to what he felt would hurt the most. It wasn't reactionary, it was intentional.

#13 of 93 Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:24 AM

> never watching seinfeld again or buying their products.

What products? I don't see what this incident has to do with a show that ended years ago.

#14 of 93 Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:34 AM

Scott S Wrote:

Quote:

One of the hecklers simply said, "That's uncalled for," as Richards started his hateful speech. It's what everyone watching Richards was thinking. Heckling during a performance is disruptive; Richards wasn't performing, he was just ranting.

#15 of 93 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted November 21 2006 - 03:42 AM

No, I was talking about the heckling that caused his anger, not after it started.

They were yelling stuff at him that caused this over-reaction.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#16 of 93 John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 04:09 AM

These pretzels, . . . are making me racist!!

#17 of 93 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 04:36 AM

Quote:

No.

As a general proposition, there's nothing wrong with Richards responding to the hecklers. But how he did it was unacceptable. You do not ever, even in jest, tell a black man you wish it was the 1950s so you could lynch him.

And frankly, if the rest of Richards' act showed a similar level of intelligence, he probably deserved the hecklers.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#18 of 93 MikeMO

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 04:38 AM

Heckling happens everywhere. Not that I'm justifying it, but this isn't any different than what happens at sports events.

So what is Richards going to do? Personally insult everyone and comment on their race if he doesn't like the heckler's comments? If you're a comedian, your comebacks are supposed to be smart, witty, and most of all funny. What Richards did was hateful and intentional, and like the heckler said in the clip, uncessary and uncalled for.

#19 of 93 chuck_b

chuck_b

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
never watching seinfeld again

That would be your loss, not Richard's.

Jerry (and maybe Larry David) gets most if not all of the of the syndication residuals, so you would in essence only be depriving Jerry of another Porsche someday. Richards and the other two cast members basically get standard SAG residuals for the reruns, Jerry has profited over a billion.
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad. "

#20 of 93 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted November 21 2006 - 05:35 AM

BrettB wrote (post #11 ):

Quote:
Of course there was a Seinfeld ep. dealing with hecklers.

If I recall correctly, there was more than one. The one I remember, though, was "The Fire", where Jerry goes to the office of Elaine's "bubbly", whacky co-worker at Pendant(?) Publishing, Toby (whom Kramer is dating), and heckles her ("boo-hoo, boo-hoo!") until she runs into the path of a steamroller, which severs her "pinky toe". Kramer saves the day by rushing the toe by public transit to the hospital. "Giddy-yap!"

Frankly, when I saw the video, I thought Mr. Richards was "high" on something. He was, like, shooting whatever's left of his career right into both feet with both barrels.

I also watched part of Richards's "apologetics" on Late Night with David Letterman, just to hear how he was going to explain himself. It was so rambling I had to turn back to Six Feet Under, which was on cable, and was lots better "theater".
"Delenda est . . . . "

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow