Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

listing of region FREE blu-ray TITLES

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 of 46 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted January 20 2007 - 09:27 PM

HD DVD being region free cannot however change for the software and hardware already released. Current players will play back future titles as well, region-encoded or not. Regarding Blu-ray region coding circumvention being illegal, it's complete horseshit. Somebody show me a law (not a contract entered into by private enterprises) which says hiding region-circumvention in players is illegal. Any country in the world will do.

#22 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 20 2007 - 11:58 PM

I really don't know Marko....
Somebody mentioned here, that region free DVD players are in different position compare to possible region free blu-ray players hmm

well I will welcome ANY REGION FREE blu-ray player Posted Image it is so much cheaper to shop on amazon.com compare to any shop i n europe Posted Image

Marek

#23 of 46 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,869 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 01:50 AM

Marko is right, of course: region free HD DVDs will continue to be region free in our homes, even if new releases might be region coded. Also, region free HD DVD players will continue to be region free as long as no firmware update is installed incorporating a region check.

His second point is interesting too. The question of whether the region coding would fall under the restrictions brought in place by the DCMA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the US, the only act I'm aware of that could possibly be applicable here (inside the US!), is answered differently by different parties (having different interests Posted Image ).

Here's an article, mainly discussing the Australian situation for DVD, in which the author discusses some of the points. His main conclusion seems to be that region coding is not part of the encryption scheme as meant by the DCMA.

Some of the points raised in the article certainly seem interesting outside the Australian situation too.

Although that discussion is about DeCSS, most of it will apply to BD too (legally speaking), I presume, while arguments about region coding for the PS2 and before would also apply to the PS3.

Cees

#24 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 05:54 AM

Yes Cees, I know Marko and you are right about HD DVD, but so far it seems that region coding on Blu-ray will stay around... and is hard to tell how it will be on european model of PS3 - seems like it will have region coding inplemented for sure...

what are news about impelentation of region coding by HD DVD ?

And that's why I am trying to find as much region free Blu-ray movies as I can Posted Image so far few positive suprises Posted Image like BHD and Pear Harbor Posted Image

Marek

#25 of 46 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 07:44 AM

X Men US version is zoned and will not play back on a SAMMY BD player purchased and used in Australia which had no previous problem playing back early US inports like 5th Element. As my friend said"If someone has to f--- it up, you could guarantee it would be Fox".

#26 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 08:06 AM

did you make firmware udate ? if yes, your sammy is probably no longer region free.... (but I am not sure if this is case with sammy or panasonic)

I had 2 fox titles (KOH and IA2) region A (us) and of course they did not play Posted Image I was lucky to sell them to sony Posted Image shop which had us version of sony BD player...

Marek

#27 of 46 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,869 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 09:32 AM

Marek,
And you're doing an excellent job. Thanks for that! The other tiny discussion is held just to keep us all sharp! Cees

#28 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanx Cees Posted Image

next week I will be testing Into the Blu UK (B) version on US (A) sony player...
reports are, its working....

I wonder if all Lionsgate titles are region free.., anybody tested The Descent (2005)... hmm ?

Marek

#29 of 46 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 02:48 PM

it's not my player-I'm with HD DVD, but it's the one off the shelf so I would think it's already been modified to stop a repeat of the Sammy US release cock up.I would think it is the same one released in all Pal areas.

#30 of 46 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 09:32 PM

A Toshiba representative is on record saying (European, but this is probably applicable to US models as well) current HD DVD players cannot be retrofitted with region encoding enforcement, ever. This information comes from an AV Forums podcast of a telephone interview with said Toshiba representative, so I'd consider it reliable. The point Cees makes about the DMCA might apply (in the US) if that legislation was interpreted to cover modifications to firmware by manufacturers, i.e. a Blu-ray player manufacturer would not legally be able to include a region-coding circumvention in their players on the basis that it would infringe the copyright on someone else's firmware embedded in the system (operating system, AACS, BD+, whatever.) I'm not sure if such an interpretation is possible or applicable, but perhaps a scenario like this was being referred to? In this country, copyright legislation was recently updated with more severe restrictions for distribution of copyrighted digital information. The legislation has been met with serious criticism from ordinary computer users and entertainment media consumers, but even though so-called fair use was restricted, the legislation did not recognize region-encoding as a method of enforcing copyright. It will be legal in the future to circumvent such artificial trade restrictions based on the fact that legally obtained software must be playable on legally obtained hardware. If someone can point me to legislation in another country that says otherwise, I'd appreciate it - preferably a case tested in court. As far as I know, no one has been sued in the US for modifying a DVD player in spite of DMCA. Why would Blu-ray be different for the end user?

#31 of 46 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts

Posted January 21 2007 - 09:37 PM

In order to not get completely sidetracked in the copyright discussion, the information on Blu-ray titles playable on all machines is greatly appreciated here, too. Thanks for the updates, Marek!

#32 of 46 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,869 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 03:28 AM

... which, BTW, also based on the article I referred to and quoted from, is basically that I personally don't think it's covered by the intention and wording of that act. And I don't think anything close to the DCMA is likely to be implemented anywhere in Europe. Cees

#33 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted January 22 2007 - 11:17 AM

you are welcom Marko Posted Image

yesterday I tested INTO THE BLUE uk region B version with SONY region A us version player.... movie is marked as B region, played without problems Posted Image

I was quite happy to find many subtitles and also our former country partner Posted Image czech subtitles..... so it was nice to have confirmation that on UK releases I will have at least subtitles for friends coming here who are not so good in english...

Marek

#34 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 02 2007 - 07:28 AM

some new confirmed region A movies, playable on region B players..... - CHICAGO - THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - THE DESCENT anybody tested some region A movies on region B players ? thanx for any info !! Marek

#35 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 12:51 AM

sorry if this is posted somewhere here... anybody have some links for FULL EUROPEAN RELEASES ? thank you in advance !! Marek

#36 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 04 2007 - 03:03 AM

who have Resident Evil - Apocalypse ? can somebody please check back cover ? if there is region A, or 1, or A,B,C thanx for any info.. Marek

#37 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 07 2007 - 06:46 AM

I had a chance to do few more tests.......... I tested 3 region B european releases on us region A SONY player.... STEALTH region B confirmed WORKING TEARS OF THE SUN region B confirmed WORKING ICE AGE 2 region B confirmed of course NOT working.. Marek

#38 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 18 2007 - 11:13 PM

from user samjohnson on avs

so now we can check many movies for regions Posted Image

for example REIGN OF FIRE is marked A B C, all regions..
http://www.dvdempire....or=1#topoftabs

can you see those 3 small hexagonal marks wich are together ? those are A B C marks....

if movie is coded, there is only ONE mark....

Marek

#39 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 01:06 AM

interesting INFO

according to dvdempire scan of back cover of OPEN SEASON, there is region A

http://www.dvdempire....or=1#topoftabs

I just received OPEN SEASON from UK and on the back cover is A B C Posted Image with text ALL REGIONS, interesting....

and sombody will be glad with this info Posted Image there is also Dutch 5.1 Posted Image with English 5.1 and PCM

Marek

#40 of 46 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted February 20 2007 - 03:16 AM

some other tests, confirmed results from previous reports... RESIDENT EVIL 2 marked as region A, played without problem on samsung region B player THE DESCENT marked as region 1 didn't work, samsung was not updated, just black screen and nothing.... Marek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users