-

Photo

All Things Godzilla

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
252 replies to this topic

#1 of 253 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted October 25 2006 - 03:10 AM

DVDPlanet just send me an email that they're both being cancelled. I wonder what happened?
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#2 of 253 OFFLINE   Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 03:14 AM

Classic Media is selling both titles exclusively via their web site until a wider release early next year. Maybe pre-orders weren't high enough?
Wellesnet: The Orson Welles Web Resource

#3 of 253 OFFLINE   AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 03:14 AM

According to SciFi.com these two are going to be media blasters (is that the name?) online exclusives until early next year.

http://www.godzillao....com/merchant2/

#4 of 253 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 04:06 AM

Oh well - pity that. I'd might have picked them up if I saw them at the store, but now . . . well, I have a trip to England next month to pay for. These can wait.

#5 of 253 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 25 2006 - 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWickliffe
According to SciFi.com these two are going to be media blasters (is that the name?) online exclusives until early next year.

http://www.godzillao....com/merchant2/
Classic Media online exclusives. I ordered only Godzilla Raids Again from the website. I've already got the R2 vs. Mothra, as well as the old Simitar disc (plus I'm still miffed they're using a cropped transfer of the English-dubbed version).

If you do order both (before Oct. 27), though, you can get free shipping. Enter the code GRAMOTH1. That'd be both for under 30 bucks; not too bad, actually.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#6 of 253 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted October 26 2006 - 02:06 AM

Thanks Jim,
Just ordered mine. They said the reason they're using a cropped GvsM was because the cropped was in better condition. I'm glad I got the Simitar version too.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#7 of 253 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted October 26 2006 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Peavy
If you do order both (before Oct. 27), though, you can get free shipping. Enter the code GRAMOTH1. That'd be both for under 30 bucks; not too bad, actually.

Well, not QUITE free. With that code, shipping costs a touch under 50 cents. Still, it was cheap enough that I went and pulled the trigger on both.

#8 of 253 OFFLINE   AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Still, it was cheap enough that I went and pulled the trigger on both.

So did I. I'm just hoping the transfers don't have issues like the Godzilla '54 release.

#9 of 253 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 01:56 PM

How very odd - I got an email from these guys today assinging my shipment a USPS tracking number. There's nothing at the end of the link, so I can only assume it hasnt gone out yet - but it's a good sign that theyre shipping early.

Woo hoo

#10 of 253 OFFLINE   AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 02:08 PM

Quote:
How very odd - I got an email from these guys today assinging my shipment a USPS tracking number. There's nothing at the end of the link, so I can only assume it hasnt gone out yet - but it's a good sign that theyre shipping early.

Woo hoo

I got one too and thought the same thing, then remembered one can print postage (and confirm numbers) in advance.

#11 of 253 OFFLINE   Dannie

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted October 27 2006 - 10:58 PM

i ordered all 3 dvds and used the $6 code. which ended up giving me alil more than the free shipping code. ia lso got the email that my order had a label. but with how the usps is. that order can ship and getto ur house and that same page about it just getting a label will still be there

#12 of 253 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 01:47 AM

I'm a bit apprehensive based on my disappointment over the Gojira set, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered 'em anyway. It's also a bit more than I was going to spend on my cancelled order at DVDPlanet which was about $11 each.

I'm a bit put off by the flubbed OAR of the dubbed G vs. Mothra disc, but the selling point for me is the original OSL Japanese version. It's too bad that Media Blasters doesn't control the DVD rights as they've done a good job with their Toho releases so far.

If the reason behind this is low pre-orders then I wonder how this bodes for future Toho releases (namely the two I want the most - Ghidrah & G vs. Monster Zero) ?
Death before Streaming!

#13 of 253 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 28 2006 - 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sparks
Thanks Jim,
Just ordered mine. They said the reason they're using a cropped GvsM was because the cropped was in better condition. I'm glad I got the Simitar version too.
Yeah, I've got the Simitar release, also. Supposedly the vs. Mothra disc is the only one that's gonna' have a cropping issue. Let's hope so...

#14 of 253 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 09:06 AM

So what was the problem with the Godzilla print anyway? The movie looked a little bit old, but otherwise was fine for me.

#15 of 253 OFFLINE   AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted October 30 2006 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
So what was the problem with the Godzilla print anyway? The movie looked a little bit old, but otherwise was fine for me.

There was some framing issue.

Both my discs showed up today. The "Raids Again" print is okay, but skinny yellow subs. Haven't seen much of "Mothra," might watch it tonight though--white skinny subs on it.

#16 of 253 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 07:56 AM

Couldnt have been too horrific - I didnt notice any problems. But then really I got that disc for the Japanese version. I doubt I'll spin the american release again - and I ever have too, I've always got the Scimitar version hanging around somewhere.

#17 of 253 OFFLINE   JayHM

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWickliffe
There was some framing issue.

The main problem I have with it is that it's an interlaced transfer, not progressive. DVDBeaver has some info on this.

#18 of 253 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 06:17 PM

Turns out my Godzilla Raids Again is defective. A serious combing/interlacing issue crops up right after the one character has spotted G, and then sees the other fella flying towards him:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And believe me, this is exactly what it looks like on my set. The effect is not exaggerated in the framegrabs or anything. There is a very definite point at which the image goes caflooey.

Bummer!! Oh well, back it goes. Anybody else who's got this let me know if your's is the same. I would think they'd all be. Could this be a flagging issue of some kind?

#19 of 253 OFFLINE   JayHM

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 08:34 PM

Jim, are you playing this on a progressive scan set? The first Gojira DVD also had interlacing issues on progressive sets, and yes, I believe this is a flagging issue. I was hoping this would be fixed with the new titles.

#20 of 253 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted October 31 2006 - 11:32 PM

EDIT - Nevermind
Death before Streaming!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow