What's new

The Descent...R1 Release? (1 Viewer)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I believe that this is available in other regions but was wondering if anyone had any information on a region 1 release. Even though this is a 2005 film I don't believe it played in North America until this year. Anyway, I thought it was a darn good film and was wondering what we might expect on the DVD and when (wasn't there some alternate original ending?)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I heard December 26th. The alternate ending is really just an extension, but it's a really perfect coda to the movie. I have NO idea why they didn't keep it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The original ending was all over youtube.com when the movie came out in the States. Just a few seconds of footage after the US theatrical version ends. I found it to be a much better ending.

-paul

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I too am hoping that the original ending is on the R1 film. Not as an extra, but in the actual film. It's much more effective.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The original ending is far better than the truncated US version, and utterly changes the end of the film and the viewer's understanding of what came before.

And there's no need to include both. If you want to watch the US version, just hit "Stop" at the right moment. The original ending simply carries on another two minutes or so to the film's real conclusion.

The UK release 2-disc SE goes for real cheap, and is an excellent disc. If you can play PAL, grab it. Lion's Gate won't do better, and I doubt they'll include a full bitrate DTS track like the UK Pathe release.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I dunno about that Rich. Without spoiling anything BOTH films have the same resolution, just the European version goes on a bit longer.

MAny people missed the very last frames in the US version which explain some of the confusion.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
I must chime in that the US ending in fact changes the original tone of the film...

But, it was the same with "28 Days Later"

the ending was changed to accomidate the US moviegoers...

Chances are that this release for the DESCENT will include the EUR ending as an extra as did 28 DAYS LATER.

Dugger

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Perhaps not as clear as the European version but basically the same nonetheless.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
BTW, check out the discussion thread in the MOVIES section for a really good discussion.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I can't honestly say that I saw the "last shot" in the US version. I was left with a pretty hefty impression that she got out, but was nuts.
Although I am willing to say that I could be wrong. Oh well, I can't wait for the unrated extended version (which is probably just the UK version).

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Could be due to Lionsgate's sloppiness. I saw Cabin Fever a few times in theaters, the last time being at a different and cheaper cinema than the one I'd had my prior viewings at. I was surprised when this theater's print contained the scenes Lionsgate cut out of the film before it's wide release, so I wouldn't doubt the same thing happened with a few prints of The Descent.

Anyway, I got the UK set last November, skipped the theater run, and will be sticking with what I have.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Rich

In the US version
Right after she screams in the truck, there is a very quick shot of her bloody, still in the cave

That's when the US version ends. I agree that the UK version is better, my point was that both versions show that she is still in the cave and has not escaped.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Very odd, Tino. I've only seen the UK release (on the excellent, excellent two-disc UK release from Pathe), and after many discussions on various forums was under the impression that the US ending stopped when:

Sarah gets out, races away in the truck, pulls over, pukes on the street, and then turns to see the apparition of a dead and bloody Juno in the passenger seat - end of US version of film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Nope.

It's right after she sees Juno, there is a very quick shot of Sarah, bloody, still in the cave. You can actually see the shot I am referring to on the UK endind available on you tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks