Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Big Brother 2 - Web broadcast costs $$$

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 07:50 AM

What a joke. CBS is expecting people to pay money to watch the live internet broadcast over the web when the free period ends tomorrow.

Give me a break! I tuned into the live broadcast a few times last year, but there's no way I'm going to pay anything for it. Are they shooting themselves in the foot or what?

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,423 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:03 PM

I'll bet it is because it will be totally uncensored.

Rich

------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."

My Website
 "Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:10 PM

The Futon Critic posted a pretty lengthy rant about this on Friday -- http://www.thefutoncritic.com

------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:14 PM

Heh, thanks Adam. I read that article after I posted this topic, which I did after reading on the Real.com site about them charging money.

I think I'll pass on the show this year. In Canada we have a simulcast "law" (at least I think it's a law) that allows a Canadian channel to broadcast over the US feed of the same show. Since BB2 has the CBS logo, the local station has put their bug over the CBS one, but this bug is 100% opaque, and VERY annoying. Blah to that!!
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Jim__B

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:17 PM

I can't see many people paying to watch the guinea pigs. I mean I don't remember that much risque stuff going on last year I don't see that changing this season. Then again I haven't caught enough of this season to see if the picked people who are going to get down and dirty. Time will tell, I bet if there is lots of T&A, subscriptions will skyrocket. Posted Image

------------------

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:22 PM

Quote:
I read that article after I posted this topic, which I did after reading on the Real.com site about them charging money.
Oh, I didn't mean that to be a "someone's already said that" sort of response -- just linked to it because it was relevant. I agree with both of you, though -- it's strange that a show that's not really overly successful to begin with to make a move like this.

------------------

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 01:44 PM

I'm interested to see if CBS sticks with their decision. After all, last year's show wasn't a runaway success. If they want to build an audience, free live feeds is definitely the way to go.

I don't agree with their choice to do this, but if they are going to charge, they probably should have waited until at least a week's worth of shows had aired, if not more. The live feeds didn't start, I'm assuming, until after the first show aired Thursday night. We'll continue to get them through Sunday. Three full days, that's it? Add in the consideration that some of the audience may have been away from the television if they took a long weekend with the holiday on Wednesday. The live feeds would build interest in watching the tv show, not the other way around.

Oh, and they were having all kinds of trouble with the feeds on Friday. Way to go CBS.

------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com

Most recent reviews: Dogma: Special Edition, Rififi: The Criterion Collection, Panic, The X-Files: The Complete Second Season, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Most recent column: One Hundred and Counting

Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,845 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 02:15 PM

Which 3 nights will BB2 be airing? Is it Saturday, Thursday, and Monday?

------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 02:28 PM

I believe it's Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

------------------

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted July 07 2001 - 04:38 PM

I'll stick withhttp://www.u8tv.com for now. The feeds are free and the action can sometimes be nuts.

If you're wondering, U8TV is a Canadian based reality concept where the eight house guests stay together for a whole year, are not isolated from the outside world, and are free to roam wherever they want outside the house -- which means they can invite anyone inside the house!

In exchange for their free lodging, they make these totally bizarre shows which can be viewed on their Web site at any time.

The whole thing is free and is occasionally entertaining. Posted Image

------------------
The Milnoc
Week of July 1st: "Star Wars, Episode 1.1: The Phantom Edit" (NOT "The Phantom Menace!")