Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Men in Trees ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 10:46 AM

Did anyone catch this last night (Tuesday). It is pretty much a women's version of Northern Exposure. The show will normally be shown on Friday. I will probably give it a couple of more looks. It's nice to see John Amos back on TV.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#2 of 38 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 13 2006 - 12:39 PM

It was better than most pilots I've seen. It has potential, if they amp up the quirky. I really enjoyed the stalking raccoon and seeing Abraham Benrubi in a TV series again.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#3 of 38 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:03 AM

The pilot felt heavily edited, with no real connective tissue between her appearances at the various locales. It was pretty much like watching an extended version of the teasers that have been running. But I enjoyed it and think it has potential (and I have a soft spot for Heche).

I heard a bit on NPR where the commentator had a problem with the cheesy bit with the road signs. DUH! That was the point. She's a cheesy relationship coach with who gets a rude awakening.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#4 of 38 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:21 AM

I thought it was okay, and Friday night it probably the best night for it because it'd be slaughter on other nights this season. Some of it felt a bit like other Alaskan show, Northern Exposure. I'm not sure it'll survive the season, though. I was rooting for the raccoon.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#5 of 38 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,144 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
Some of it felt a bit like other Alaskan show, Northern Exposure.

I thought it felt too much like NE, although I don't know yet if that will be a good or bad thing. I couldn't help but point out which MIT character is similar to which one from NE.

I still enjoyed it, though.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - July

Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#6 of 38 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted September 14 2006 - 05:37 PM

For those among us who missed it the first time, the pilot is being re-aired tonight, Friday, at 8/7c right before the premiere of episode 2 at its regular night and time.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#7 of 38 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted September 15 2006 - 03:29 PM

Saw the 2nd episode, and there's something grating on my nerves when I watch this show, can't quite put my finger on it yet. I just know I'm not quite 'into' the show, there's still this layer of 'stuff' that impacts my viewing of the show.

#8 of 38 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 16 2006 - 02:44 AM

I am a big fan of Northern Exposure. I guess this is why I am going to give this one a chance. It certainly had a lot of things is common. So much so, I think it is more like an homage to NE. I think as long as the producers/writers don't try and claim otherwise, I am ok with it.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and was pleasantly surprised.

I admit I am not a big fan of Anne H. She is a bit whacky for me. Knowing about her drunken/drugged out episode she had a while back makes her less likable. I think I will be able to get past that, but like I said in another post, it is hard to get past first impressions.

Knowing her sexual preferences, I fully expected this show to be nothing but man bashing. So far, that has not happened. It was pretty balanced. I hope they can keep it that way. I still haven't quite got where this show is going. Is it going to be about the mens side of life, or is it going to be about helping the men change to get more women to move there?

It had its humorous moments. I agree with an earlier post that I hope it gets a bit more surreal or quirky, like NE.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#9 of 38 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 16 2006 - 04:18 AM

Quote:
Knowing her sexual preferences, I fully expected this show to be nothing but man bashing.

1) She is married to a man and has a child with him.

2) Even if she were a lesbian this does not mean she inherently "hates men."

#10 of 38 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts

Posted September 16 2006 - 04:46 AM

I admit I had no idea that she chose a different orientation again. Sorry for that screwup.

She isn't exactly stable. Here is what she said about herself:

Quote:
A year after her split with DeGeneres, Heche made claims in television interviews and in her autobiography, Call Me Crazy, that she was mentally ill for the first 31 years of her life after being sexually abused by her father (who died of AIDS in 1983). She also claimed to have an alter ego that was the daughter of God and half-sibling of Jesus named "Celestia," who had contacts with extraterrestrial life forms. In her book, she explained that before her split with DeGeneres, she was contacted by "God" and told he would walk with her for seven days.

I assumed she was a lesbian. I guess the fact that she was having relations with Ellen D. was why. Silly me. Posted Image

Quote:
Most know of Heche because of her relationship with comedian Ellen DeGeneres and the events following their breakup. The couple started dating in 1997 shortly after the infamous "Puppy Episode" of DeGeneres' first sitcom. At one point, the two said they would get a civil union if they became legal in Vermont.

And I stand by my opinion that lesbians do not like men. Or at least, do not have the same knowlege about men.

All of this being said, I am still going to watch the show.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection

#11 of 38 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 16 2006 - 06:28 AM

John Amos had some good lines in the ep.

The second ep had a better narrative thread than the pilot. Part of me balks a bit at the heavy metaphors (e.g. the loss of power) but I can overlook it.

Quote:
I still haven't quite got where this show is going. Is it going to be about the mens side of life, or is it going to be about helping the men change to get more women to move there?
I think it's more the former based on last night's ep. So far the men have been the primary advice givers and I thought the final narration about her finding her way with the help of some good men was telling (and refreshing). No man bashing in sight as far as I can tell.

#12 of 38 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 18 2006 - 12:14 PM

I thought the most significant line in the pilot was when the ex-ER actor (now a bartender) said "women want it all, men can't give it to them." This leads me to believe the show will be more about her awakening and growth, than about changing the men in her life.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrongPosted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#13 of 38 Wendy_L

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:00 AM

I thought it was cute and I will keep watching.
Who needs a life when you have TV?
My Current Top 10: Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Medium, Veronica Mars, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Entourage, Survivor
Top 3 All-Time Favorites: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Friends
I Still Miss: Tru Calling, Once &...

#14 of 38 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 19 2006 - 02:26 AM

I love the parts where the guys in the bar comment about men and relationships—clearly they all know more about relationships (even without any) than the coach.
¡Time is not my master!

#15 of 38 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
She isn't exactly stable.
That might be true of her personal life, but that doesn't mean she's not a good actress.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#16 of 38 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,010 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 20 2006 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty M
That might be true of her personal life, but that doesn't mean she's not a good actress.
I agree. If an actor is great on the screen, should I mind that their personal life has issues?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 38 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 20 2006 - 10:58 AM

Remember when she starred opposite Harrison Ford and everyone wondered if she would be able to play a heterosexual? Posted Image

#18 of 38 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,024 posts

Posted September 20 2006 - 11:46 AM

Ok, enough bashing my opinion. Posted Image

Like I said before, I am going to watch it a couple more times. The show has promise. Some of the characters look like they might be fun to watch.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection

#19 of 38 dany

dany

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted September 21 2006 - 02:25 AM

I like her and thats why i watched it. Pretty good so far. A bit different then all the other stuff on. We'll see how it goes. I liked lost at first and then it lost me.
Get In My Belly.

#20 of 38 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,625 posts

Posted October 08 2006 - 01:53 AM

10/6/06

Patrick standing outside with his hand stuck in the condom vending machine could be this generation's "Say Anything" moment (with John Cusack standing outside the rain with the boom box over his head).

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow