Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Six - 12/19/2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#21 of 118 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 12:28 AM

I actually enjoy most of Leonard Maltin's intros to the non-pc films, because at least he adds some insight and interesting historical context (as was mentioned) as opposed to someone like Whoopi Goldberg who just comes accross as annoying, condescending and out of place.

#22 of 118 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 01:52 AM

I don't recall ever having a problem skipping the intros. Which set in particular are you referring to? I could double-check, but I'm almost certain I can skip or fast-forward or whatever on my player.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#23 of 118 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 03:51 AM

So is there a good reason why we're almost a week to October and no official press release has been issued yet?

I'd like to see a full list of contents and features already!!

#24 of 118 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
The only instance (that I've heard of), of Disney outright deleting/censoring material was a scene of Goofy smoking in "Saludos Amigos."

One of Donald Duck's lines was replaced in "The Clock Cleaners", and a black centaur was removed from Fantasia. "The Martins and the Coys" was deleted from Make Mine Music.

#25 of 118 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted September 23 2006 - 04:10 AM

Do you guys know if the cartoons were censored in the American laserdisc collection "The Compleat Tex Avery?"

I remember a joke in a Droopy cartoon where dynamite went off and burned a dog black (I think it was Butch) and he immediately started talking in black dialect. Has that been cut out? If it's gone forever, it's a shame; it was really funny. (Sorry, it was.)

#26 of 118 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 23 2006 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jacobson
One of Donald Duck's lines was replaced in "The Clock Cleaners", and a black centaur was removed from Fantasia. "The Martins and the Coys" was deleted from Make Mine Music.
... and a cigarette was removed from Pecos Bill in "Melody Time".

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#27 of 118 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted September 24 2006 - 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden
... and a cigarette was removed from Pecos Bill in "Melody Time".

Regards,

Yes, and several seconds of film and song together with it.

#28 of 118 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted September 24 2006 - 03:50 AM

I am still disappointed with the first Donald Duck set. The annoying pops in most of the shorts is terrible.

#29 of 118 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,093 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted September 25 2006 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Vermundsberget
Yes, and several seconds of film and song together with it.
Oops! That comment brought to my attention that I left a word out of my previous post. I meant to say a cigarette gag was removed.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#30 of 118 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 03:24 AM

UltimateDisney.com is reporting that the official press announcement for the next wave of titles has finally been released. There main news page describes the release with the following

Quote:
Buena Vista Home Entertainment has issued the much-anticipated official announcement for Walt Disney Treasures: Wave VI. Unfortunately, it's not as thorough as past wave's press releases have been, as complete contents lists have not been included. Still, the document points out highlights from each set as well as a seemingly full slate of supplements. More Silly Symphonies will include audio commentaries, the featurettes "Silly Symphonies Rediscovered" and "Animators at Play", and extensive production art galleries. The Complete Pluto, Volume 2 will contain a "master class" with modern-day Disney animators Randy Cartwright and Andreas Dejas discussing Pluto 'toons, deconstruction and a pencil test of Pluto's Judgement Day, and galleries. Your Host, Walt Disney -- which is confirmed as having "The Fourth Anniversary Show" and "Disneyland 10th Anniversary" -- will also hold an interview with Walt's daughter Diane Disney Miller and galleries. Finally, The Mickey Mouse Club Featuring The Hardy Boys will provide the featurettes "From Dixon to Disney" and "The Hardy Boys Unmasked" as well as a gallery, and the 20-episode serial The Mystery of The Applegate Treasure. See the complete press release for more information.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#31 of 118 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 03:38 AM

Hard to get excited for this wave except for the Silly Symphonies, I wish we'd gotten Donald three instead of the Hardy boys or host sets.

#32 of 118 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted September 27 2006 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Hard to get excited for this wave except for the Silly Symphonies, I wish we'd gotten Donald three instead of the Hardy boys or host sets.

I always think the same, then end up being pleasantly surprised by the one that look dull. I wasn't all that keen on the "Spin & Marty" & "Elfago Baca" sets on the last wave, yet they were both really good. (swamp fox sort of sucked.)

#33 of 118 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 06:57 AM

As per UltimateDisney.com:

Quote:
Buena Vista Home Entertainment has issued the much-anticipated official announcement for Walt Disney Treasures: Wave VI. Unfortunately, it's not as thorough as past wave's press releases have been, as complete contents lists have not been included. Still, the document points out highlights from each set as well as a seemingly full slate of supplements. More Silly Symphonies will include audio commentaries, the featurettes "Silly Symphonies Rediscovered" and "Animators at Play", and extensive production art galleries. The Complete Pluto, Volume 2 will contain a "master class" with modern-day Disney animators Randy Cartwright and Andreas Dejas discussing Pluto 'toons, deconstruction and a pencil test of Pluto's Judgement Day, and galleries. Your Host, Walt Disney -- which is confirmed as having "The Fourth Anniversary Show" and "Disneyland 10th Anniversary" -- will also hold an interview with Walt's daughter Diane Disney Miller and galleries. Finally, The Mickey Mouse Club Featuring The Hardy Boys will provide the featurettes "From Dixon to Disney" and "The Hardy Boys Unmasked" as well as a gallery, and the 20-episode serial The Mystery of The Applegate Treasure. See the complete press release for more information.

http://www.ultimated....ic.php?t=16578

#34 of 118 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 27 2006 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
As per UltimateDisney.com:

http://www.ultimated....ic.php?t=16578

Beat you to it PaulP. See about 4 posts up Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#35 of 118 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 28 2006 - 02:16 AM

Gah. The go-to-first-new-post buttom is unreliable then!

#36 of 118 OFFLINE   Kajs

Kajs

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 02:06 AM

Anyone else seem to care that "Disneyland's 10th Anniversary" show was already on the Disneyland USA DVD? Maybe this one will actually be unedited.

#37 of 118 OFFLINE   John Troutman

John Troutman

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted September 29 2006 - 02:17 AM

Early word is that the 10th special IS, in fact, unedited. Given, "early word" has been wrong before.

#38 of 118 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 20 2006 - 09:37 AM

Amazon's description/review of Silly Symphonies Vol. 2:

Quote:
The second set of Silly Symphonies completes the series of music-themed cartoons Walt Disney began in 1929 with "The Skeleton Dance." Disney used these films to train his artists and to experiment with new techniques and visual styles. Viewers who watch the Symphonies in chronological order can see the artists' work improving at an astonishing pace. When a ring of imps dances around a fire in "Hell's Bells" (1929) the flat-looking flames move stiffly, like paper cut-outs; five years later in "The Goddess of Spring" (1934), the flames ripples and crackle, and their changing hues produce multi-colored shadows on the cavern walls. The imps in the earlier film are rubbery golliwogs who just bounce and stretch to the music; in the later film, the rounder, more dimensional devilkins perform a complicated jazz dance. "Goddess of Spring" and "Broken Toys" (1935) also represent the artists' first efforts to animate a believable female character, as they prepared for the challenges of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Many of these films were consigned to the vaults for years because of their racial imagery. In the Oscar-nominated "Mother Goose Goes Hollywood" (1938), a gaggle of Hollywood celebrities cavort to familiar nursery rhymes, but the caricatures of Stepin Fetchit and Cab Calloway are no more unflattering or mean-spirited than the ones of Katharine Hepburn, W.C. Fields, and Clark Gable. The outrageous "Cannibal Capers" (1930) and a few other shorts may embarrass viewers today, but as host Leonard Maltin observes, ignoring these film falsifies the past of animation and the United States. This important and entertaining collection will delight anyone interested in the history of the Disney Studio, animation or American popular culture.

Just can't wait. One more month!

#39 of 118 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 10:51 AM

Does anyone know if this wave has been reviewed yet? I'm eagery looking forward to SS and Pluto, but will not purchase either unless they've been remastered.

#40 of 118 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted December 06 2006 - 11:49 AM

traditionally, no one bothers reviewing the entire wave, except for an occasional review at DVD file or David Boulet, since David is working for DVDFile now, I'd be checking that site.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow