What's new

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Six - 12/19/2006 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

UltimateDisney.com

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Already have an empty spot in my DVD binder for the 2nd Silly Symphonies set! The "Your Host" set looks interesting... if it's anything like the Behind the Scenes collection, I'll have to dive in.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Next to the Silly Symphonies collection, the "Your Host, Walt Disney" set is both my most anticipated, and biggest dissapointment for the ammount fo pointless rehashed content and episodes.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
As long as the shorts are remastered this time (still haven't bought last year's Treasures), I'll be finishing off my Pluto and Silly Symphonies collections.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Great news!! Sign me up. :)

As a HUGE Disney fan my entire life, I've snagged all the Treasures sets thus far and have loved them all (for the most part). I especially enjoy the Silly Symphonies, Tomorrowland, Front Lines and Mickey Mouse sets. Can't wait to add these newest releases...though I do hope the QC is better than on the last wave...

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Heres yet another hope for better PQ. Disney and Maltin got an ear full last time around so I would be shocked if these releases exhibited the same problems.

Edit:
Also glad to see that these titles won't conflict with the 12/5 True Life Adventures release

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i'll be getting them all, as per usual. "Your host" is probably the least exciting, so I imagine that as per most of the other waves, it will probably end up being the hilight of the wave.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm most excited about the second and final volume of Silly Symphonies, which should contain lots of rare B&W shorts.

Brenton

Screenwriter
I'm definitely getting Pluto and Silly Symphonies.

And I think that Your Host Walt Disney sounds interesting, but I still want to figure out what's on it before I decide.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Without me looking it up, does anyone know there are still "Goofy"s and "Donald Duck"s to be released. I think there were Donald Duck cartoons from the 50s.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

All the Goofy shorts are in the complete set. That is, all the ones designated as such (it doesn't have the shorts part of the Mickey series or the Reluctant Dragon cut-down). Besides "Behind the Scenes" and "Tomorrowland" it's my favorite collection.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I expect plenty of "censored' cartoons to show up on the Silly Symphonies. I know there was a "mammy" character in the 3 Little Kittens cartoon, and other brief bits of racism in other cartoons. I expect to be forced to sit and listen to Leonard Maltin tell me that times have changed and racial depictions are different today then they were in the 30s..blah blah blah. And what pisses me off is that I have to sit and listen to that lecture every single time I want to watch those damn cartoons.

However, Disney is so arbitrary in designating which cartoons are "racist" and which are not. I notice that Leonard didn't introduce "Pluto's Judgment Day," which has that whole Uncle Tom song-and-dance number. And he let pass the "Miss Licorice" bit from "The Cookie Carnival." But he did chime in with his two cents on quite a few old Mickey Mouse cartoons which have bizarre racist gags concerning blacks and Jews. I wonder if there's any sort of limit to racial depictions that Disney will allow before sending in Leonard to save the day??

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
On the last Duck set, they seemed to just put the "objectionable" cartoon in a seperate section, so you just have to have Maltinyelling at you once to get to the toons. I'm hoping they continue this on these future sets, or have Maltin do as part of the initial introduction.

It is a small price to pay to have the cartoons.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I can't stand being lectured at that way! Especially considering -----

Did you notice how nowadays, males in movies, TV shows and especially TV commercials are shown as blundering, moronic, stupid idiots? And the females (even small girls) are shown as all highly intelligent, strong and wonderful?

I wonder if some day all of that will be shown with "disclaimers" explaining that the early 21st century was a "different time" and that kind of portrayal of males is no longer acceptable.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well those 'lectures', which are easily skipped, are an infintesimally small price to pay for getting controversial stuff released, and unedited. I'd love for Warner Brothers to do a similar thing if it meant actually getting cartoons like Coal Black and Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips. And if a skippable intro (or lecture if you prefer) is what it takes to get Song of the South out, then go for it.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Well, it's still way better than what we had in France with the Tex Avery Complete Edition (I don't know if it was the same for Region One). The shorts were horribly cut or digitally altered to remove any racist imagery, like the nod to japenese during WW2 in Blitz Wolf, or the erasing of the exploded black heads. The cuts cause even holes in the storytelling ! Some shorts too have simply been cut out of this "complete" set. At least, Disney assumes the shorts and replace them in the context. It's still better than pur and simple censorship...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Absolutely true, Fabien. The only instance (that I've heard of), of Disney outright deleting/censoring material was a scene of Goofy smoking in "Saludos Amigos."

Georg Kaplan: I was bitching because in the Walt Disney Treasures tins, you are forced to watch Leonard's lecture because it doesn't let you skip or fast forward. And my point is, that EVERY time you want to see those cartoons you HAVE to wait for Leonard to shut up.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I seem to remember that the intro pieces were unskippable in the sense that there were no separate chapter stops for the intro and the short. But I thought it was possible to FF through the intro. Perhaps it's different on different sets?

Anyway, the lectures in historical context are highly preferable to the alternatives...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks