What's new

DVD Review HTF Mini Review: Brazil (1 disc anamorphic reissue) (1 Viewer)

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
73998.jpg

Brazil (1 disc anamorphic reissue)

Studio: The Criterion Collection #51
Rated: R (language, violence, and some sexuality)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 enhanced for 16x9 displays
Audio: English DD Stereo
Subtitles: English
Time: 142 minutes
Disc Format: 1 DVD-9
Case Style: Keep case
Theatrical Release Date: 1985
DVD Release Date: September 5, 2006

Criterion has taken the demands of the fans seriously and re-issued Brazil with an anamorphic transfer. They are re-releasing the three disc set from 1998 as well as a single disc of the first disc of the set which contains the movie with the new anamorphic transfer. For those of us who already own the great three disc set, it is a very welcome surprise to be able to buy the first disc on its own. Due to the nature of this release, I am only going to do a quick comment on the one disc and the new transfer.

Video:
The picture has been re-framed at 1.78:1 and it is, finally, an anamorphic transfer. I am unsure why Criterion, and, obviously, Gilliam have reframed the picture to 1.78 as it was originally shot 1.85. I will email Criterion to get some clarification on this change. Criterion is good enough to provide us with more information about the transfer itself, so I will pass this along: “This new high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from a new 35mm interpositive, under the supervision of Terry Gilliam. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System.” The picture is very similar to the original edition in that it appears as if it was shot in 1985. While the sets themselves hold up in their timelessness (a mark of a good set decorator), the picture itself shows its age. In comparing the two images, this edition and the non-anamorphic one, this new transfer exhibits greater detail, but it seems to lack the sharpness of the original. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this new version looks more film like. Black levels are improved and there is a noticeable detail in the shadows. Edge enhancement was minor and there were not compression artifacts or video noise. Flesh tones and color fidelity overall are improved with deeper saturation; the original edition seems a little washed out. Film grain is noticeable but not obtrusive.

Audio:
I watched the disc with the Dolby Digital stereo track engaged as this is the only audio option. The new edition seems to have more presence than the previous one, which may simply be due to the use of newer equipment and audio cleaning processes during encoding. Both editions note, “The soundtrack was mastered at 24-bit from the 35mm Dolby stereo magnetic tracks…”, but the new version notes the use of “audio restoration tools”. LFE’s were minimal in this new release as they were in the original.

Bonus Material:
Commentary with director Terry Gilliam: This is the commentary from the 1996 Criterion laser disc and the original DVD release, so it’s nothing new.

Also included in the package is a booklet featuring an edited essay by Jack Matthews. The entire booklet has various changes to suit this one disc edition since the extras that are mentioned in the three disc set are obviously not in this edition.

Conclusions:
Criterion has played fair with those of us who own the original three disc version of Brazil by releasing this new anamorphic version on its own. Those of you who have yet to buy this excellent film should spend the cash on the re-release of the three disc version, which includes the disc reviewed here, for that and the wealth of extras.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The 1.78:1 AR is a non issue to me, since it's a standard practice for many 1.85:1 films.

I'll be getting the deluxe box set, since I never bought the nonanamorphic boxset.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's not hugely high on my want list (unlike Seven Samurai and Playtime), but I'm eager to pick up the single-disc to add to my 3-disc set. The AR doesn't really matter since Terry Gilliam supervised the transfer. That's all I need to know! :)

(Brazil is one of my favorite movies)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered the one-disk; I have the LD box-set and since the two other discs aren't anamorphic, I'm not losing out on much.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
This is a great film, I will be getting the new 3-Disc set, for some reason I never picked up the previous release.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Will be replacing my movie disc with the single disc, which will slide into the plastic case with the other SE discs.

It will now be permissable to add the Brazil set to the list of all-time greats of DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Count me in for the 3-disc. The only things holding me back intially were the price (when I first found it $99.99 Cdn) and the lack of anamorphic enhancement. Thankfully, both of these have now been rectified. Thanks, Criterion.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I just bought the new 3 disc set, but the problem is, disc 1 is missing the essay with Jack Matthews! The insert is missing! Should I contact Criterion, or the store I bought it from?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd contact Criterion, just because there is a chance that if you go back to the store, the next copy you pick up won't have the insert either.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I have a question about the new 3 disc set. Is it packaged like the previous set, 3 discs in 3 keep cases inside an outer box? I have the new 3 disc set ordered but haven't received it yet.

Kevin*Kerouac

Auditioning
What is this? In the three-disc set the graphics are the same as the old release. No booklet or pamphlet either - just table of contents cards for discs two and three (nothing in disc ones case aside from dvd).

The dvd menus are all the same too. Is it even really anamorphic? I can't tell because I have a tube tv.

What I expected in the new 3-disc edition was this single disc anamorphic re-master with all the new graphics, menus booklets etc. Therefore, Criterion would have had to redo the graphics for the other dvd cases in order to tie the package together.

To me, it just looks like they slapped a new sticker on the outside of the box, and sold the old release of the 3-disc box set, while removing the pamphlet from disc one's case (if there was one originally).

Pathetic

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I'd expected that they would probably keep the boxed set largely unchanged from its prior configuration, but the essay should still be in there somewhere. I saw this on the shelf yesterday at Borders (definitely the reissue), and it's clearly listed on the slipcover as being included. Can anybody confirm getting the new set WITH the essay? Mine's still in transit from Amazon...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Why should Criterion change anything on the 2nd and 3rd discs? The only change they made was the use of a new remaster of the film itself, so only the first disc required alterations.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I never had a Laserdisc player, but I used to read all of the reviews and information about LD releases at the time, hoping one day to get one -- and then DVD came out. I remember reading about the Brazil LD and I wanted that sucker badly. I was so happy when the DVD set came out originally!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks