Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox November 7 Releases

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 05:56 AM

DVD Empire posted this morning under the "Recent Additions" the following TCF releases on 11/7: CAROUSEL: SE, THE KING AND I: SE, SOUTH PACIFIC: SE, THE RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN COLLECTION; THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM; THE ULTIMATE FLINT COLLECTION. No specific details except on Flint, which contains perks and commentaries. I have good reason to believe (from another thread posted) that MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET: SE and O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE will be released on 11/21. Hope they include "Meet Kris Kringle" from 20th Century Fox Hour on MIRACLE.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 12:05 PM

Keep 'em coming Fox!

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hot damn! Of all the James Bond knock-offs and parodies of the '60s, Flint is the only one I really dug. (At least in terms of film; TV had a much better success rate.)
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts

Posted August 24 2006 - 03:17 PM

The Rodgers and Hamerstein set contains all six pictures not just the ones being released this year. That is terrible if you bought Sound of Music, Oklahoma, and State Fair last year. From DVD Empire: Includes: Carousel: 50th Anniversay Edition The King And I: 50th Anniversary Edition South Pacific: Special Edition The Sound Of Music: 40th Anniversary Edition State Fair: Special Edition Oklahoma!: 50th Anniversary Edition Price is good if you didn't buy last year's musicals. $99 list with DVD Empire selling it for $70 . That is under $12 for each 2 disc set.

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 12:23 PM

THE CHAIRMAN (1969) starring Gregory Peck is also being released on November 7. With THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM and the SE of the Flint pictures, there seems to be a spy/espionage motif, but where is FIVE FINGERS?
Charles Hoyt

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,471 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 25 2006 - 03:38 PM

Happy to see the early November date for the other R&H musicals. And I'll welcome O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE, too. I've been making do with a DVD-R I burned off the Fox Movie Channel.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted August 25 2006 - 09:48 PM

I'm with you there! Pre-order at DVD Pacific available for $13.22

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 01:47 AM

That inclues the newer transfer for SOM? I keep saying I'll wait for HD, but maybe I'll be tempted if I can get the box set at a good sale price. It sure would be nice to have King and South Pacific in 16x9... I hope the R1 discs look as good as the R2 versions.
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,534 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 02:07 AM

Specs for South Pacific from Video Universe: 2-Disc Set Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 - English Mono - Spanish, French Subtitles - Spanish - Optional Disc 1: SOUTH PACIFIC - Original Theatrical; Widescreen Widescreen - 2.35 Audio: Subtitles - English - Sing-a-long Subtitles Additional Release Material: Audio Commentary - Ted Chapin, Gerard Alessandrini - Broadway Theater Experts Disc 2: SOUTH PACIFIC - Road Show Version; Widescreen Additional Release Material: Additional Footage - 1. "I'm Going To Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" (Martin, Pinza) 2. "Finale" (Martin, Pinza) 3. "Some Enchanted Evening" (Martin, Pinza) 4. "A Wonderful Guy" (Martin, Pinza) 5. "South Pacific" On The Screen-A Perfect Hit 6. State Department Confers High Honor on SOUTH PACIFIC Audio Commentary - Richard Barrios - Film Historian Behind the Scenes - 1. "Making of" 2. Screen Test: Mitzi Gaynor Documentaries - "60 Minutes: The Tales of The South Pacific" Trailers - Theatrical Trailer Text/Photo Galleries: Stills/Photos Specs for Carousel : 2-Disc Set Widescreen - 2.35 Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 - English Mono - Spanish, French Subtitles - Spanish - Optional Disc 1: CAROUSEL - Widescreen Audio: Subtitles - English - Sing-A-Long Subtitles Additional Release Material: Additional Audio Track - Isolated Score Audio Commentary - Including Shirley Jones - Star Disc 2: LILIOM - Full Frame Full Frame - 1.33 Additional Audio Tracks - 1. "You're A Queer One Julie Jordan" (Clayton, Raitt) 2. "If I Loved You" (Clayton, Raitt) 3. "You're A Queer One Julie Jordan" (Ruick, Jones) 4. "Blow High, Blow Low" (Michael, Chorus) Additional Footage - 1. Vintage Stage Excerpt 2. Movietone News: "Carousel Opens at NY and Hollywood in Cinemascope 55" Featurettes - "Turns On The Carousel" Trailers - Theatrical Trailer Text/Photo Galleries: Stills/Photos Specs for The King and I: 2-Disc Set Widescreen - 2.55 Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 - English Stereo - English Mono - Spanish, French Subtitles - Spanish - Optional Disc 1: THE KING AND I - Widescreen Additional Release Material: Additional Audio Tracks - Isolated Score Audio Commentary - Richard Barrios, Michael Portantiere - Theater Historians Disc 2: THE KING AND I - Supplemental Materials Additional Release Material: Additional Footage - 1. "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You" (song) 2. Movietone News: Charity Premieres of THE KING AND I Musical Milestone 3. Ingrid Bergman and Yul Brynner Oscar Winners 4. Australians from Yul Brynner Club Behind the Scenes - "Restoring Cinescope 55" Bonus Features - 1. "Anna and the King" Pilot (Including Audio Commentary) 2. "Getting To Know You" (Morison, Brynner) 3. "A Puzzlement" (Morison, Brynner) Documentaries - 1. "Something Wonderful: The Story of THE KING AND I" 2. "The Kings of Broadway" 3. "The King and I" Stage Version 4. "The King of the Big Screen" 5. "A Royal Production"

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 03:48 AM

Fritz Lang's Liliom? If so, that's one awesome bonus feature. Glad I never picked up the Kino version.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,086 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 04:48 AM

Since SOUTH PACIFIC was in Todd-AO, shouldn't the "original road show version" be 2.2? And the term "original theatrical version" is certainly confusing. How can more than one version be the "original?" And shouldn't CAROUSEL's AR be the same as THE KING AND I - 2.55?

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 06:18 AM

I saw some specs today that said that the Ultimate Flint Collection was 3 discs (dont know if that is true or not) but it got me to thinking that the Flint TV movie (with Ray Danton replacing James Coburn). I wonder if Fox got Coburn to do a commentary before his death? I recall asking a similar question on a Fox chat and the chatee basically said that I would be impressed with the release. It turned out to be the Flint double feature, bare bones but for trailers (if memory serves). I just wonder if a commentary or interview was done for that release and delayed for whatever reason. Here's hoping.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 06:24 AM

Ask and ye shall receive! Though sadly no Coburn commentary recorded aforehand. Unsure about the date of the Coburn interview listed towards the bottom of the list. From deepdiscountdvd.com: 3-Disc Set Audio: (unspecified) - English Disc 1: OUR MAN FLINT Additional Release Material: Audio Commentary - Eddie Friedfeld, Lee Pfeiffer - Film Historians Trailers - 1. Theatrical Trailer 2. Previews - Fox Flix Trailers Disc 2: IN LIKE FLINT Additional Release Material: Audio Commentary - Eddie Friedfeld, Lee Pfeiffer - Film Historians Trailers - 1. Theatrical Trailer 2. Previews - Fox Flix Trailers Disc 3: OUR MAN FLINT: DEAD ON TARGET Additional Release Material: Additional Footage - Puerto Rico Premiere Behind the Scenes - Screen Tests Featurettes - 1. "The Musician's Magician" 2. "Future Perfect" 3. "Spy School" 4. "Spy Vogue" 5. "Feminine Wiles" 6. "Spy-er-rama" 7. "A Gentleman's Game" 8. "Spy Style" 9. "The Making of Bouillabaisse" Interviews - 1. Gila Golan - Star 2. James Coburn; Gila Golan - Stars 3. Deanna Lund - Star
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,491 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 28 2006 - 06:25 AM

According to a poster at the DVD Talk forum, there have been commentary tracks recorded by an ex-CIA agent and Jerry Goldsmith's son Aaron.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted August 28 2006 - 10:12 AM

What about some other Fox musicals that haven't already been released on DVD multiple times?

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 02:06 PM

"I hope the R1 discs look as good as the R2 versions." Hopefully better than the appalling R2 ToddAO version of Oklahoma. We can live in hope but I'm not holding my breath.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,483 posts

Posted August 28 2006 - 03:28 PM

I sincerely doubt that the Liliom on the Carousel set is the 1934 French film with Charles Boyer but the 1930 version Fox produced and directed by Frank Borzage and starring Charles Farrell and Rose Hobart. Fox made the 1930 Liliom and merely distributed the 1934 Fritz Lang film which is why I suspect it ended up on Kino.

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,491 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted August 28 2006 - 07:44 PM

The Lang Liliom was scheduled to appear on the UK R2, but was pulled at the last moment. It does appear, however, on the German R2.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 07:52 AM

yes, but is that better or worse than the R1 version out already?
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted August 29 2006 - 09:48 AM

Sorry, David, I am an idiot!As I realised during the day, the transfer I was refering to and have is R1.On all accounts, R2 is the same mess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users