Photo
- - - - -

Can anyone tell me why? (USB HD question)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 05:41 PM

I have an external USB drive from acomidata.

I formatted it NTFS and used it on my PC for months.

When I take it to other computers, one of two things happen:

1) It works fine, just like at home.

2) It will not assign the drive a letter, and going into disk management launches the initialize disc wizard to convert to a dynamic disc...

The drive has been properly partitioned and works on about half the windows systems I connect it to. However- seemingly at random- some systems refuse to see the drive and attempt to initialize. I've searched around to find out if A) this will erase the drive and B) WHY or IF it needs to be dyanmic-- but I can't find a straight answer on either...

Anyone have ideas?
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#2 of 4 Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 07:36 PM

The chipset of the external HD enclosure is intermittently fritzing on you. Changing the enclosure should do it...

#3 of 4 SethH

SethH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 09:43 PM

What operating systems are plugging it in to? IIRC, some Windows systems do not natively support NTFS. Also, NTFS has changed over the years, but I'm not really sure how that affects compatibility with various systems.

#4 of 4 Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted August 11 2006 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
The chipset of the external HD enclosure is intermittently fritzing on you.

Likely False. I have 6 PC machines in my office at work: this drive works fine connected to 2 of the machines (which happen to be HP machines) and does not work connected to 4 of the machines (3 Dells and the forth a Sony).

It works connected to my custom built system (Asus MObo) but not on my girlfriend's custom built system (Soyo MoBo).

This is 100% consistant and repeatable. The drive doesn't stop/start at random- rather it either works or doesn't on a given machine.

The drive WILL mount 100% of the time on computers with which it works, and on machines it doesn't mount, it never works.

To be clear: ever machine is able to see the drive. The hardware is added to device manager and is added to the list of devices on the 'safely remove' list. The drive appears in disk management (control panel-admin options- computer management- disk management) but will not give a letter and wants to be initialized.

What operating systems are plugging it in to

All are Win XP, most are pro, one is home. All are SP 2 or newer. Should support NTFS.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users