Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use HDMI and optical out on a DVD player at the same time?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Joe Pick

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 08 2006 - 10:26 AM

I'm thinking of buying and connecting a Panasonic DVD-S77S to my new 37" Panasonic plasma to take advantage of upconversion. My Onkyo A/V receiver (TX-SR703) doesn't have HDMI inputs. If I connect an HDMI cable from my DVD player straight to the TV just for video, can I also connect a digital optical cable to the reciever at the same time for audio? I'm using component cables for video on an older Sony DVD player now, along with the optical audion cable, which sounds great. By the way, will I see a big improvement in DVD PQ by using a DVD player with upconversion? Thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted August 09 2006 - 07:42 AM

I'm pretty sure you can do that unless there's something odd about the player. I've never hooked up a DVD player that way, but my cable box is connected to my TV via HDMI and to my receiver through optical and it works just fine.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Joe Pick

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted August 10 2006 - 09:17 AM

What kind of cable box do you have? Did you (can you) turn off audio output via HDMI since it's routed via optical?

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 07:22 AM

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. I think there's an option to turn the sound off for HDMI but I didn't bother since I have the TV speakers off, so it doesn't really matter if the audio is carried to it or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users