What's new

Can I use HDMI and optical out on a DVD player at the same time? (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of buying and connecting a Panasonic DVD-S77S to my new 37" Panasonic plasma to take advantage of upconversion. My Onkyo A/V receiver (TX-SR703) doesn't have HDMI inputs. If I connect an HDMI cable from my DVD player straight to the TV just for video, can I also connect a digital optical cable to the reciever at the same time for audio? I'm using component cables for video on an older Sony DVD player now, along with the optical audion cable, which sounds great.

By the way, will I see a big improvement in DVD PQ by using a DVD player with upconversion?

Thanks!

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure you can do that unless there's something odd about the player. I've never hooked up a DVD player that way, but my cable box is connected to my TV via HDMI and to my receiver through optical and it works just fine.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator

What kind of cable box do you have? Did you (can you) turn off audio output via HDMI since it's routed via optical?

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. I think there's an option to turn the sound off for HDMI but I didn't bother since I have the TV speakers off, so it doesn't really matter if the audio is carried to it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks