• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 of 146 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 03:11 AM

On Video is listing the following boxset titles and details: BRANDO (TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON, JULIUS CAESAR, REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, 2-disc MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, THE FORMULA) on November 7; GARY COOPER (2-disc SERGEANT YORK, DALLAS, THE FOUNTAINHEAD, WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE, SPRINGFIELD RIFLE, THE HANGING TREE) on November 7); NEWMAN (THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS, HARPER, THE DROWNING POOL, POCKET MONEY, THE LEFT HANDED GUN, THE MACKINTOSH MAN, and SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME) on 11/14. Newman fans will be pleased with the commentaries on THE LEFT-HANDED GUN and SOMEBODY...but they are not using a Robert Wise commentary which was recorded many years ago.
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 146 Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 03:46 AM

Here's the link.

The Paul Newman Collection Seven-disc set with new-to-DVD "Harper," "The Drowning Pool," "The Left Handed Gun," "Mackintosh Man," "Pocket Money," "Somebody Up There Likes Me" and "The Young Philadelphians"; $59.92. "Harper" will be available separately for $19.97. (Warner).

* Harper(1966)
Commentary by screenwriter William Goldman, introduction by TCM host Robert Osborne.

* Drowning Pool (1975)
Vintage featurette "Harper Days Are Here Again."

* The Left Handed Gun (1958)
Commentary by Penn.

* The Mackintosh Man (1973)
Vintage featurette "John Huston: The Man, the Myth, the Moviemaker."

* Pocket Money (1972)

* Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)
Commentary by Newman, Robert Loggia, Wise, Martin Scorsese and film historian Richard Schickel.

* The Young Philadelphians (1959)
Commentary by Sherman and film historian Drew Casper.

The Marlon Brando Collection Six-disc set with "Mutiny on the Bounty" (two-disc set) and four Brando films new-to-DVD: "Julius Caesar," "The Formula," "Reflections in a Golden Eye" and "Teahouse of the August Moon"; $59.92. "Bounty" is available separately for $26.99; "Julius Caesar" is available for $19.97. (Warner).

* Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
New digital transfer from restored Ultra-Panavision 65mm elements with the soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Alternate prologue and epilogue sequences not seen theatrically; two vintage featurettes: "1964 New York World's Fair Promo" and "Story of the HMS Bounty"; Marlon Brando movies trailer gallery; new featurette "After the Cameras Stopped Rolling: The Journey of the Bounty"; two vintage featurettes: "Voyage of the Bounty to St. Petersburg" and "Tour of the Bounty."

* Julius Caesar(1953)
Introduction by TCM host Robert Osborne, new featurette "The Rise of Two Legends."

* The Formulas (1980)
Commentary by director John G. Avildsen and screenwriter Steve Shagan.

* Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
Vintage behind-the-scenes featurette.

* The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)
Vintage featurette "Operation Teahouse."

Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection Six-disc set with new-to-DVD "Sergeant York" (two-disc Special Edition), "The Fountainhead," "Springfield Rifle," "The Wreck of Mary Deare" and "Dallas"; $49.92. "Sergeant York" is available separately for $26.99; "The Fountainhead" for $19.97. (Warner).

* Sergeant York (1941)
Commentary by Jeannine Basinger, classic cartoon "Porky's Preview," vintage short "Lions for Sale," Cooper trailer gallery, new making-of featurette "Sergeant York: Of God and Country," vintage biographical profile "Gary Cooper: American Life, American Legend."

* The Fountainhead (1949)
New featurette "The Making of The Fountainhead."

* Springfield Rifle (1952)

* The Wreck of Mary Deare (1959)

* Dallas (1950)

#3 of 146 Jay E

Jay E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 04:20 AM

Wow!!!!

An unbelievable trio of boxsets!!!

All will be mine!!!!!!!!!

Thank You Warner!!!!!!!!!!!

...I'll add a few more exclamation points:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 of 146 Adam_S

Adam_S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,079 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:24 AM

sergeant york!

#5 of 146 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:28 AM

All of these are mine! Warner keep them coming. Also, don't forget "Cool Hand Luke" next year for it's 40th Anniversary.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 146 JohnPM

JohnPM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:40 AM

I'm not quite straight about the Cooper set. Is "The Hanging Tree" part of this group or not? There seem to be conflicting reports as to that one ...

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#7 of 146 Danny_N

Danny_N

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:40 AM

Excellent! But why is The Hanging Tree no longer in the Cooper set?

#8 of 146 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:57 AM

Great news, but where's Natalie Wood? She was a longtime Warners player and multiple Oscar nominee!!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#9 of 146 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 09:00 AM

Great News about the boxsets. Sad News for me: No "PRIZE" or "HELEN MORGAN STORY" in the Newman set.
Ken

#10 of 146 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 09:39 AM

I'll get the Newman box and will get SERGEANT YORK, MUTINTY ON THE BOUNTY and REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYES seprately. And yes! Where is Natalie Wood's box set? INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, GYPSY, PENELOPE, a SE: or SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL and THE GREAT RACE.

#11 of 146 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted August 04 2006 - 09:45 AM

aside of the Newman set, which has a couple I'm familiar with, SERGEANT YORK and MUTINTY ON THE BOUNTY are the only ones I'm interested in in the others, unless someone can convince me other wise. Posted Image
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#12 of 146 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley-E
I'll get the Newman box and will get SERGEANT YORK, MUTINTY ON THE BOUNTY and REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYES seprately.

According to the information posted earlier, of the titles in the Brando box, only 'Mutiny On The Bounty' will be available separately, not 'Reflections In A Golden Eye'. Like you, I would prefer to buy Reflections separately (as well as Mutiny) and pass on the others, but it looks like I'll have to buy the box.
Bruce Morrison

#13 of 146 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 11:19 AM

It's really great that these are coming out on DVD, just too much at the moment for me.

The Marlon Brando set is my fav
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 146 george kaplan

george kaplan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 01:03 PM

Teahouse of the August Moon Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#15 of 146 Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 01:22 PM

Great news about the Penn commentary on LEFT HANDED GUN. I imagine he's also doing one for the BONNIE AND CLYDE SE due next year (40th anniversary). Wonder if he'll do any more.

#16 of 146 Jacqui

Jacqui

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 01:48 PM

I think I have died and gone to Heaven!!!

The Newman boxset I have been hanging out for!

Pocket Money is one out of out left field. It wasn't very well received. I really like it. Co-incidently I was watching it last night and it is quite funny. Newman plays a nice (if extremely dopey, but endearing) comic part and Lee Marvin as his sidekick is hysterical. An unfairly maligned movie.

A Newman commentary for Somebody Up There Likes Me!!! Awesome! In fact I am stunned at the number of commentaries available.

Gary Cooper's boxset is mine as well.

#17 of 146 Jacqui

Jacqui

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Great news, but where's Natalie Wood? She was a longtime Warners player and multiple Oscar nominee!!

Is touted for 2007 - I can't wait for this set either!!!

BTW - Natalie Wood refused the role of Joan Dickenson in The Young Philadelphians with Paul Newman. She was placed on studio suspension as a result.

#18 of 146 Corey

Corey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 03:21 PM

i'll be getting all 3 of these sets. where's the spencer tracy set though???
hope it includes:
-the actress
-northwest passage
-tortilla flat
-edward, my son
-test pilot
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#19 of 146 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted August 04 2006 - 03:30 PM

This is a little annoying. I want REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (being an Elizabeth Taylor fan) but don't really want to buy the entire set. I don't really see why they're doing this, other than to make the customer shell out money for films they may not want.

Andy

#20 of 146 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,119 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 04 2006 - 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Budgell
This is a little annoying. I want REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (being an Elizabeth Taylor fan) but don't really want to buy the entire set. I don't really see why they're doing this, other than to make the customer shell out money for films they may not want.

Andy
It's simple to maximize unit sales! Warner probably feels some of those titles won't sell enough individually to make a profit. Also, it makes the retailers happy by using less shelf space and fewer UPCs.

Anyhow, at least Warner is releasing classic titles which is more than you can say about many of the other studios.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow