What's new

COOPER, BRANDO, AND NEWMAN BOXSETS IN NOVEMBER (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Great news all around.

You'd think THE FORMULA would be the one in the box only. I always thought REFLECTION had a pretty good cult following.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Yikes! 3 more half-baked Box Sets from Warners....:frowning:

A few years ago, I relished the idea of getting DVDs of films I wasn't that interested in as part of a Box Set which included some essential titles but, man, am I growing wary of the idea nowadays!

Don't get me wrong: I love Cooper, Brando and Newman and I knew these were coming out so it's not like these sets have been sprung on me. But, there's no denying that the overall quality of the films is merely good rather than outstanding.

But let's tackle the sets individually:

GARY COOPER: The two clear winners in this set are Howard Hawks' SERGEANT YORK (1941) and King Vidor's THE FOUNTAINHEAD (1949). It's great that YORK is a 2-discer but I bemoan the omission of Delmer Daves' THE HANGING TREE (1959) if that is truly the case. Of the others, I'm only familiar with THE WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE (1959) and, even if I'm interested in watching SPRINGFIELD RIFLE (1952) because it's an Andre` De Toth film, the inclusion of DALLAS (1950; which I've never watched myself) is quite baffling...unless they're counting on people mistaking it for a precursor of the Ewing family saga:) (which, as it happens, is getting a big-screen revamping as we speak! Sure there can be any number of Cooper sets in the future but several other Cooper films would have been preferable for me: Howard Hawks' TODAY WE LIVE (1933), SARATOGA TRUNK (1945; a notorious failure but, thus, even more intriguing for it), Leo McCarey's GOOD SAM (1948; ditto), Raoul Walsh's DISTANT DRUMS (1951), BLOWING WILD (1953), etc. I'm not sure whether all these are actually Warners properties but I got the information from the IMDB. Actually, they're not that much better than what has been included but at least they're more interesting...

MARLON BRANDO: Despite Brando's irritating performance, I've always liked MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962) and am pleased that it's getting Warners' lavish 2-Disc treatment. Admittedly, the only poor choice here is THE FORMULA (1980) which, having watched several years ago, is just a haze in my memory but it's telling that despite having been shown many times on TV over the years (the latest, incidentally, last Sunday), I've never had the inclination to reacquaint myself with it - despite the casting coup of George C. Scott and Marlon Brando. Frankly, I've become a little wary of Shakespeare lately so, even if JULIUS CAESAR (1953) is among the best cinematic adaptations, my own over-familiarity with it doesn't make me leap for joy for its inclusion. THE TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON (1956) is a charming film but a minor one and, in any case, what went on behind the scenes is so much more interesting that what's being shown on the screen (unsurprisingly Glenn Ford and Brando didn't get along, Louis Calhern died in mid-production, etc). The other essential one here is John Huston's REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE (1967) but, unfortunately, once more nothing is provided on the DVD except for a vintage featurette.

PAUL NEWMAN: This is probably the best box set of the bunch not only because it has the most movies but also the most supplements and, above all, shows the star at his best rather than being released just because they're in Warners' library. The only one I've never watched here is POCKET MONEY (1972) and, even if THE MACKINTOSH MAN (1973; which was partly shot in Malta:)) and THE DROWNING POOL (1975) are lower-tier Newman fare, at least they're watchable thrillers. The rest of the choices are all commendable and I'm especially pleased to learn of Arthur Penn's contribution to THE LEFT-HANDED GUN (1958) - which, alas, makes his absence from last year's DVD of one of his best films, NIGHT MOVES (1975), something of a head-scratcher:frowning:! - but the omission of the Robert Wise commentary form SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME (1956) - it's already recorded for Christ's sake! - and, especially, one of Newman's all-time gems, THE PRIZE (1963), from this collection loses Warners some major points with me as well...(!

The bottom line is that one has only limited space where to store his DVDs and, more importantly, limited time in which to watch them! So, I'd rather have been given the opportunity to get the films that really stand a chance of getting revisited by me in the future rather than being saddled with inferior titles which are practically bare-bones to begin with! Which is exactly why I have 80(!!) box sets yet to purchase. Dream on...

JohnPM

Second Unit
Warners doesn't own "Good Sam", "Distant Drums" (already available on DVD), or "Blowing Wild." "Saratoga Trunk" was anything but a "notorious failure" --- with a final profit of $3.4 million, it was the third most profitable film Warners had in the decades of the 30's and 40's ("This Is The Army" and "Casablanca" were in first and second position). As for "Dallas", some of us are thrilled to see this coming out. It's a highly unconventional, almost-spoof western, and a very enjoyable departure for Cooper at the time. I do keep hoping that Warner's official announcement of these will add "The Hanging Tree", as I've looked forward to this one for several years.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

I'll echo that sentiment. Pocket Money is a personal favorite of mine, as much as for anything as that it was mostly filmed in my hometown of Tucson. It is one the great unsung comedy anti-westerns of the 1970's (see the terrific Rancho Deluxe and Bad Company for other examples of this quirky sub-genre).

I will also chime in and say that as much as I love that WB is releasing such underappreciated titles in their box set series, I do wish they would make more of them available as single releases. Of all the announced titles, there are only a few that I really want and I would much prefer to be able to buy only those and save the expense and space required for the less desired titles.

Hence, I will probably end up going for the Newman box, which at least has three must-have disks for me, but only Sergeant York and possibly Julius Ceasar from the other two sets.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

It is very quirky and those used to Newman's tough-guy anti heroes were slightly disappointed at the 'simple mindedness' of his character, Jim Kane. I really loved this movie though, and have watched it a few times. Marvin and Newman bounced off each other very well. And not forgetting, Strother Martin.

Just a few words on the The Left Handed Gun. I think Newman really wanted to branch out and create a western that was revolutionary. In 1957, The Left Handed Gun wasn't well received, as many people didn't really understand it. Nowadays, it is seen as a very important western. The shoot 'em ups weren't the crutch of the film. It is the psyche of Billy the Kid that Newman wanted to explore. Writer, Gore Vidal has actually fobbed the movie off as one that didn't work. I disagree. Today it has quite a good following.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Yay! 3 boxsets I can pass up! My wallet sobs with relief. :)

I feel sorry for you folks who want to buy individual titles and can't... I do believe Warner's trying to force people to pay extra for the whole set... as with the Doris Day & Ginger Rogers fans having no other option but to buy the entire Ronald Reagan box, like it or not. I'm glad I'm not a fan of these stars, but I know my time of consumer coercion will come. ;)

Seems there's been an emphasis on male stars lately...Gable, Stewart, Reagan, Wayne, Bogie, Fonda, Cooper, Brando, Newman... with Glenn Ford and Spencer Tracy apparently on the horizon. And representing the ladies: Bette Davis. She's great, but let's see more actresses' Signature Collections, eh Warner? Still waiting/hoping for Barbara Stanwyck, Norma Shearer, June Allyson, Jane Powell, Esther Williams, Jean Harlow, Greer Garson, Katharine Hepburn (if Spencer's getting his own box, she should too)...

Corey

Screenwriter

I think this was the year of male star sets and that next year we'll be seeing more female sets with Ginger Rogers, Joan Crawford V2, Bette V3, Doris Day V2, Stanwyck, de Havilland, and Shearer.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
John PM,

Thanks for the DVD update on DISTANT DRUMS (1951) which, however, is currently OOP and, being a Republic title, should now be in the hands of Paramount or Lion's Gate.

What about BLOWING WILD (1953) - do you happen to know who owns that? It's not very well-known but it's certainly enjoyable in its offbeat way, it boasts a strong cast (Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Anthony Quinn, Ruth Roman and Ward Bond) and is even highly-regarded in some critical circles.

As for SARATOGA TRUNK (1945), I didn't mean it was a box-office bomb but that it was a troubled production (it was shot in 1943 but was shelved for 2 years) and was critically lambasted when eventually released.

Chris Rose,

Although you agreed with my sentiments, I think it's amusing that you're passing on the Cooper, Brando and Newman sets and instead are pining for June Allyson, Jane Powell and Esther Williams:)! Having said that, one of my personal favorites, Barbara Stanwyck, definitely merits her own Box Set and, in fact, already has one available on R2 (which, again, I don't own yet:frowning:)!

Corey

Screenwriter

WB said they were looking at doing Stanwyck sets since they own so many of her movies. I want June Allyson!!!! I love her voice...it sounds like a female Jimmy Durante. lol, but Esther Willams is the #1 set I want.

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

Just out of interest, Corey, Mario and Chris, did you boys see Stanwyck's performance in The Thornbirds?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think they've made wise choices for these sets. The Brando set interests me the most, but all of them have merit, and I hope Warners continues to drown us in classic releases.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I get the business end of things, and I am a supporter of WB's classics - they are clearly the best in the game. It's just unfortunate for me, a student/Elizabeth Taylor collector on a budget. Maybe these are films I'd like to own at some point down the line, but right now I'd only like REFLECTIONS.

Andy

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I for one am very happy for this announcement. I'll wait for a good deal on the boxsets, such as the bi-annual Deep Discount DVD 20% off sale, and add these to my collection, if I'm not able to purchase all of them during release week.

The Newman box set would be a great opportunity to simultaneously release Sometimes a Great Notion (1971). Please Universal?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Too bad about no Hanging Tree as it would've been the most interesting title in these sets. As it is I'll just spring for Sergeant York and Harper out of this batch.

Might have bought Springfield Rifle and The Left Handed Gun if they were made available separately. Neither are great films but I remember enjoying both.

Chalk up 2 more lost sales due to your box-set exclusive tactics Warner.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
You know, some of the smaller titles might not sell well enough on their own for a release so perhaps that's why Warner is doing this. I doubt RETURN OF DR. X would sell enough copies but packaged in a box, they can get the thing out there. I'd much rather a title be in a box rather than not getting released at all.

As for the titles selected, I've seen all of the Newman and Brando titles and as a fan I want to own all of them. On its own, I wouldn't have bought a couple of them but at a discounted box set, I'm happy to take them.

I'm somewhat shocked that no one has jumped on them for releasing so many sets at one time. Again, I'm personally happy to get three great boxes in one month even if THE FORMULA is a poor film IMO.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator

I feel for you, Andy. It's funny, TCM is trying to target the youth market, yet this Warner boxset-exclusive thing only alienates younger collectors who are on a budget. And older collectors on a budget. ;) I mean, the boxsets are pretty affordably priced, but they're only a good deal if you want at least 2 of the titles within. 'Cause buying them individually would cost about the same as getting the whole box anyway. But if someone only wants *one* of the movies... and it's not sold separately...they're screwed.

I think in this case it would be silly for WB to assume Reflections wouldn't sell well enough to warrant it's own release... Marlon Brando and Elizabeth Taylor? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're big enough stars that people would pick up the DVD if they saw it on store shelves with those familiar faces plastered on the cover. Whether they were familiar with the film beforehand, or not. If the price is right.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't worry Warner, you still have consumers like me that's going to buy them all.:)

Crawdaddy

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I will be buying them all as well. I hope THE PRIZE wil show up someday. I'm not sure why THE HANGING TREE was not included considering it is being released in Europe.
As others have mentioned, a Natalie Wood Boxset including Inside Daisy Clover and Sex and the Single Girl, Splendor in the Grass SE, a Gypsy SE
Great Race and Penelope.

Corey

Screenwriter

I had mentioned an Olivia de Havilland set in an earlier thread that these titles would be good:
-The Male Animal
-Princess O'Rourke
-Anthony Adverse
-Light in the Piazza
-Santa Fe Trail

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks