What's new

Universal preps 'Flower Drum Song' for November (2 Viewers)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As reported at DVD Times:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Flower Drum Song (Special Edition) for 7th November 2006 priced at $29.98 SRP. This sixties Rodgers and Hammerstein musical directed by Henry Koster tells the story of a Chinese woman and her father who illegally enter San Francisco to marry her fiancé, only while there she falls in love with another man and the American way of life.

Presented in 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen with English DD2.0 Stereo audio and optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles, extras are TBC.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
DD 2.0 Stereo? FDS originally was released with a 3 track (L, C, R) soundtrack. I hope this is not the correct information.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sold. It's been many years since I've seen it, but I'm guessing I will like it as my appreciation for Oscar Hammerstein's work has grown immensely over those same amount of years.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
At that price, I'm assuming this will be a 2 disc release. I'm very curious to see what the special features will consist of.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
After waiting for Flower Drum Song for years, we only get 2.0???
I've already got my dvd-r in 2:35 and 2.0 sound.
How about a trailer? Anything?

I waited years for Universal to reissue The Conqueror on dvd as the previous Goodtimes release was only 2.0
Universals reissue is also 2.0 - wheres the original 3.0 or 4.0 on that title?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'll probably get this, a lot of the Koster directed CinemaScope films are worth a look. The best I've seen is Desiree, but last week I watched The Story of Ruth which is worth a look. A lot less of a spectacle, and more a character driven film than what I was expecting, and probably made on a much lower budget than the earlier CinemaScope epics.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The score is so magnificent (and underrated in my opinion) that this will be an easy buy despite what seems to be an inflated price tag.

I play the soundtrack CD a good deal, so this will be highly anticipated in my house.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Well, IF this is true (I can't find a single story anywhere else or confirmation, after searching for 4 hours, so I am hoping it's real), it's about time. I wouldn't doubt the 2.0, because THOROUGHLY.MODERN MILLIE was released by Universal in dolby surround as well. I love this movie, it's only downer for me was the casting of Jack Soo. He ruined both of his songs (2 of my faves), Don't Marry Me and Sunday (listen to the Columbia original Broadway cast to hear how it should have been sung). He is so off key that I can't understand how he was not dubbed or how he was even cast. Otherwise, I like everything about the film and I agree that this is a very under-rated score.

Can anyone find a 2nd confirmation anywhere on this?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Here are some other confirmations, no extras listed anywhere, but they all do say special edition. 4 new special editions of Rodgers and Hammerstein, it's going to be a great holiday season!!!!!!! I am actually glad I didn't buy the imports of South Pacific,ect...this gives me something GREAT to look forward to in November, when it becomes freezing in Minnesota. And now to have Flower Drum Song, which I've been waiting for since the day the dvd format was introduced, YESSSSSSSSS! Might I suggest everyone email Universal dvd department that we would like a 4.0 release? Here is the link to the web site where you can email the home video department:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home...ml/contact_us/
(then you accept the terms, and on the next page under "entertainment" click on "dvd and vhs", and then on the next page click USA, and your email form will appear. Let's put some pressure on for the 4.0 mix.

Here are some other confirmations, no extras listed anywhere, but they all do say special edition. Judging from the price and Universal's way of doing things, this looks like ot could be a 2 disc-er. Let's hope!

http://www.tlavideo.com/details/prod...06720&sn=1&v=1

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=11000

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MCA024190

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully with some commentary and participation from Nancy Kwan, James Shigeta and the very private elusive Miyoshi Umeki.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe Jack Soo moved into the role he played in the film once Larry Blyden left the part in FLOWER DRUM SONG on Broadway. SInce the movie was intentionally made with many from the Broadway cast, I'm not surprised Jack Soo came along for the ride. I really don't find him objectionable at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
From what was reliably reported some months ago at HainesHIsWay.com the FLOWER DRUM SONG release will be in 5.1 DD, with a commentary track, interviews, etc.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Matt, can you provide a link to that (HainesHIsWay), I couldn't find it on the site.

Matt, I didn't find Jack Soo's performance bad, my big objection was his singing. The song Don't Marry Me is one of my favorites (on the Columbia Broadway edition) as well as "Sunday", and I am not sure if you have heard that (the original Broadway cast). I still remain shocked that Universal or Ross Hunter did not at least dub his voice. I've taken years of schooling in music, and even without that it's so obvious that he is off on almost every single note he tries to sing. He's also in the Broadway cast playing the nightclub M.C., and he is terrible there too (as far as singing). Frankly, I am very surprised at Richard Rodgers. Maybe he didn't have total control on this film like he did the others, but on several of the other films, he actually had several singers fired because they weren't good enough and demanded dubbing on the smallest of roles where they couldn't sing to his standards. Perhaps the deal with Universal was different, and he just didn't have a say. Does anyone know more about this? There's a new book I just ordered, perhaps it will tell. It's more about the original Broadway show and the recent re-scripted (and failing) revival but I heard there is alot of info on the film:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...e=UTF8&s=books

NBC was talking about a new version as a 3 hour made for tv musical, but that was 4 years ago. I guess the tv musicals went by the wayside as well.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert Siegel - Its hard to imagine Rodgers firing people from films because they could not sing. Almost everyone in most Rodgers and Hammerstein films is dubbed, except in oklahoma.
Even one line of Shirley Jones in the song If I Loved You is dubbed by Marni Nixon.
In King and I, Rita Moreno, Deborah Kerr, and Carlos Rivas is dubbed.
In South Pacific, Rossanno Brazzi, Ray Walston, and John Kerr are dubbed.
In Sound of Music, Anna Lee, Peggy Wood, and many of the kids are dubbed.
In Flower Drum Song, Nancy Kwan and Reiko Sato is dubbed ( by Marilyn Horne !!). It is odd that they didn't dub Jack Soo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks