Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Excel Help: How to reference tab name in cell

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Giles

Mark Giles

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 05:23 AM

In Microsoft Excel: Can someone tell me the formula on displaying the name of the worksheet (tab name) in a cell on the sheet? I'm not talking about the header/footer code, but in a cell.

I know theres a way to do it, I just forget what the formula is.

Thanks in advance!! Posted Image

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Giles

Mark Giles

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted June 26 2006 - 05:45 AM

Ok, nevermind. i found it...

=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   me90201

me90201

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 02:06 AM

=RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename")))

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   mrtonothorns

mrtonothorns

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 18 2011 - 06:42 AM

Ok, nevermind. i found it...

=MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)

SWEET! Now can someone tell me how to find the name of the cell that is to the left of the tab I am putting the formula in?

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   mrtonothorns

mrtonothorns

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted July 18 2011 - 06:42 AM

=RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename")))

SWEET! Now can someone tell me how to find the name of the cell that is to the left of the tab I am putting the formula in?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Still a novice

Still a novice

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 21 2012 - 05:43 AM

Did you ever get an answer to the question regarding the name of the worksheet to the left? If so, I would appreciate you sharing it with me. Thank you

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Kirk Lammert

Kirk Lammert

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 13 2012 - 04:04 AM

You can use the same formula with a minor alteration to the CELL function. The original formula: =RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename"))) assumes that you want the name of the tab you're currently on. However, there is a second argument to the CELL function for reference. Using this argument you can get the tab name of any tab within your worksheet. It works like so: =RIGHT(CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1),LEN(CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",'OtherTab'!A1))) where "OtherTab" is the tab you want to get the name of. I used cell A1 of that sheet, but any cell will do. Hope this helps!

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Y Jin

Y Jin

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 02:27 AM

Kirk, that's very helpful! I have more than 1 tabs in my spreadsheet book. If I want a specific cell in each tab read its own tab name what should I do? I used your first formula, all tabs read one tab name. Any suggestion? Thanks!

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Mr SteveW

Mr SteveW

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hi Kirk or Mark: I have a strange result using your formulas for returning value of the same sheet you are on and wondering if you're experiencing the same. If I rename any other sheet name in the entire workbook (or any other open workbook for that matter), and the formula (even though referencing the sheet I am on) changes value to show me the name of the most recently modified sheet name. Doesn't matter which book I'm in. If I recalculate the formula (click in cell and press Enter) it goes back to showing me the correct "current sheet name". If I close the book and reopen it, the book opens with the correct "current sheet name". So it seems like it experiences only a temporary glitch, but can cause problems on formulas within the page while I'm working in my workbook... any ideas on how to keep it from changing temporarily? Thanks.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   ryates

ryates

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 07 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hi All: Yes, i find that in multiple sheets the cell reference returns the name of the first or current sheet tab. What would be helpful is if i cound have a relative reference to the sheet tab name unique to each sheet.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   MikeR128

MikeR128

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 04:33 AM

You just need to set the reference to an absolute cell on the sheet. Thus cell("filename","$A$1") will alway only refer to the current sheet where it appears and =RIGHT(CELL("filename",$A$1),LEN(CELL("filename",$A$1))-FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1),1)) will always give the correct Tab reference.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   snowwhiteeg

snowwhiteeg

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 04:40 AM

RIGHT(CELL("filename"),LEN(CELL("filename"))-FIND("]",CELL("filename"))

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,055 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 12 2013 - 08:17 AM

This thread delivers.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users