Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby Digital Plus question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 09:15 AM

Here is a simple question for the HD folks out there:
Does my receiver have to HDMI inputs in order to get the DD+ or can this also come through with Optical Digital cable (from player to receiver) ?

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 11:11 AM

On the HD-A1, you have to have either HDMI, or 5.1 analog outputs to get DD+. Optical and Coax give you encoded DTS.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 08:05 PM

You can get this sound via Analog inputs on your AV/R or HDMI. As Mark says, you can also get them via optical and coax, but these two connectors cannot transport the higher bandwidth that DD+ offers, so for optical and coax, the players convert the decoded DD+ audio into a 1.5 megabit DTS stream.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   DavidDTS

DavidDTS

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 01:51 AM

Thank you both for the reply. So am I to assume you both prefer DD+ over the DTS encoding?

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted June 14 2006 - 09:47 AM

Then there is DD True HD and I have only seen 1 or maybe two HD-DVD's with that audio encoded, Pahntom Of The Opera being one of them.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDTS
Thank you both for the reply. So am I to assume you both prefer DD+ over the DTS encoding?
Getting the decoded DD+ as PCM is the ideal, as it will not be altered by recoding to DTS. So if you have an AVR with HDMI inputs, then this is the best solution. Any version of HDMI will do, you don't need HDMI 1.3 to pass this decoded DD+ PCM 5.1 (or even 7.1) audio.

But if you have to use optical, the DD+ recoded to 1.5 megabit DTS is still better than a regular DD soundtrack, so it's not a big problem. It's good to have the legacy support.

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:46 AM

Well, Perfect Storm says it has a Dolby HD 5.1 track.

Does the Toshiba player decode the signal?
So, if I have analog inputs, am I getting the true signal?

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:59 AM

Only the left and right stereo channels of the Dolby TrueHD track can be decoded by the Toshiba.

Dumb!!

The Blu-Ray titles are the same resolution as the HD-DVD titles: 16 bit/48 kHz (basically downconverted CD quality, not high resolution from the archival masters) and are placed as uncompressed Linear PCM 5.1 tracks so far... so in layman's terms the same quality as the current Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless compressed tracks on HD-DVD.

Dan

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 07:02 AM

Quote:
Only the left and right stereo channels of the Dolby TrueHD track can be decoded by the Toshiba.

Dumb!!

I agree. This is one of the strangest things about the Toshiba. I can't understand why it was done. Why not 5.1 channel analog? Anyone know?

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 08:15 AM

I would guess the PC they have inside the Toshiba can't handle it. They probably would have had to put in a dedicated sound/codec card.
It still doesn't make sense. I guess it is like the first generation of SD DVD players that couldn't play DTS.
Remember that?

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Remember that?
Yes, but there was a different reason for that: DTS came too late with the official proposal and wasn't included in the first operative specs of the format. After a year, or so, it was agreed upon.

Cees

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman
The Blu-Ray titles are the same resolution as the HD-DVD titles: 16 bit/48 kHz (basically downconverted CD quality, not high resolution from the archival masters) and are placed as uncompressed Linear PCM 5.1 tracks so far... so in layman's terms the same quality as the current Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless compressed tracks on HD-DVD.

Dan

Aren't most movie masters at 16/48?

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:32 AM

Why is Toshiba advertising in their current HD-DVDs for 7.1 lossless sound if it's not available? Will a firmware upgrade do the trick? Posted Image

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
I would guess the PC they have inside the Toshiba can't handle it. They probably would have had to put in a dedicated sound/codec card.
It still doesn't make sense. I guess it is like the first generation of SD DVD players that couldn't play DTS.
Remember that?
Uhhhh.... The HD DVD players DO IN FACT use hardware decoders for this, not the Intel CPU. There are four Analog Devices SHARC chips which handle this and two of them are flash-upgradable.

Word going around is that within 3 weeks there will be a firmware update which MAY support 5.1 TruHD decoding...

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anthony
Why is Toshiba advertising in their current HD-DVDs for 7.1 lossless sound if it's not available? Will a firmware upgrade do the trick? Posted Image
It can handle L-PCM lossless audio as well...

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan
I agree. This is one of the strangest things about the Toshiba. I can't understand why it was done. Why not 5.1 channel analog? Anyone know?

-Reagan
My guess is the code for the decoder chips wasn't ready in time.

There is a firmware update coming in the next three weeks which MAY add 5.1 TRU HD decoding...

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_HD
My guess is the code for the decoder chips wasn't ready in time.

There is a firmware update coming in the next three weeks which MAY add 5.1 TRU HD decoding...
Not a challenge Rob, but your source for this would be? …
¡Time is not my master!

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 03:18 PM

From what I've read from a sound mixer at Todd-AO most newer soundtracks are mixed at 24 bit/48 kHz and Warner Brothers is adding support for 24/96 soon.

From comments by Stacy Spears on AVS Forum it looks like they're downgrading to 16/48 in order to squeeze the bitrates. A 24/48 or 24/96 lossless compressed track can still require peaks of 6-8 Megabits/sec. This is based off of DVD-Audio lossless tracks, which use Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). MLP is the backbone of Dolby TrueHD lossless with more channels and higher resolution than DVD-Audio music discs as a possibility.

Dan

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Rob_HD

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Crippen
Not a challenge Rob, but your source for this would be? …
No probs - http://www.avsforum.....&

To get the context, one should read through the build up to the post also.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,605 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 03:07 AM

So, I would need one of these cables to hook up to my HD DVD player and my Denon reciever, to get DD+

Cable

all-banner.jpg

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow