What's new

Is Sony abandoning Bewitched (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I feel that we should've heard an anouncement of season 4 by now especially with I Dream Of Jeannie coming next month. With Sony's track record, I'm worried.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I don't know, but I doubt it. There was a four-month window between the 1st & 2nd Seasons of Bewitched, just there appears to be with Jeannie. But then there was 5 months between Seasons 2 & 3. I think the release schedule may be slowing down to a once or twice a year release at most. (I hope I'm wrong about that though.) They have released all 8 Seasons in Japan, so I think they'll finish out the remaining 5 here as well.

I'd actually be MORE worried if Jeannie weren't being released so quickly. That leads me to believe Sony thinks there's still a market for the shows (not that they have to be tied together in Sony's mind, but they usually are.)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I doubt they've abandoned it, though it does seem like by now we should've heard something.

If we go by the amount of days between the release of Season Two and the announcement of Season Three (which was 76 days) that would mean that next Tuesday, June 6 (which also happens to be Samantha's birthday) we should hear an announcement of Season Four as 76 days from 3/21/06 (when S.3 was released) is next Tuesday. And if we also base the amount of time between announcements and release dates it would place the release of s.4 sometime in August.

I also think it bodes well for us that all 8 seasons have been released in Japan.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
How much time passes between All in the Family season releases? A lot more than 3 or 4 months. So let's not get spoiled here.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
What I think isn't being observed here is that the releases from Sony regarding Bewitched Season 1 and Season 2 was that they were timed to be released with the debut of the movie in theaters and with its release to DVD. Season 3 was released after ample time from the second season to give fans more time to absorb it.

In regards to Season 4, I think Sony is just biding their time because they're probably trying to time their releases between the I Dream of Jeannie releases and the Bewitched DVD releases. Remember that there was a period of time before Bewitched was even released. JUST BE PATIENT.

The releases are coming, it just might take some time before they decide to announce it. Don't be surprised if it doesn't become announced until after I Dream of Jeannie Season 2 is released. They're probably wanting to release the season sets of each title so that they are releasing the Season boxed sets on par with each other (Season 4 of Bewitched in one month and Season 4 of IDoJ the following month).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Partridge Family isn't exactly on their priority list and isn't a big seller although it has its very old built in audience. This is different when iot comes to shows like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie which are both fantasy shows.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'm getting more and more worried that Sony has indeed hung up on Bewitched.

What are the logistics of getting the Japanese season sets? They are most likely not region 1 but are they NTSC?

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I don't think Bewitched has been abandoned. Like others have said, I just think the release schedule has slowed down a bit. The second season came out very fast to coincide with the release of the movie on DVD, and then there was a longer gap until season 3 came out, which was only in March. I'm thinking we'll see Season 4 sometime between September and November. I don't think Sony has announced any titles yet for September have they?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The Japanese sets are NTSC, but Region coded 2. They are VERY expensive; they will cost you about $175 each. They are packaged in 6 keep cases inside colorful boxes; but the cost is out of this world.

Hold out; I'm sure Sony will release the rest of the seasons in the US, in compact packaging at a fraction of the cost.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
One thing I think you're missing about Bewitched Season 4. Could it be that Sony is deliberately holding off and trying to release Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie hand in hand? I would expect that Sony is going to release Bewitched either before IDoJ Season 3 or tied in to be released with IDoJ Season 4 so that Season 4 of both sets will be tied into a dual release format.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the Movie it was tied to Bombed pretty badly so it might be a possibility

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
No- I think the remaining seasons WILL be released. It's too popular a title to be ignored. I bet by September we'll hear a Season 4 announcement. Sony has begun to go into its vaults for its classic Screen Gems titles and Bewitched was the first, and probably most beloved with I Dream of Jeannie not far behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks