Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver woes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin_D

Edwin_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted May 31 2006 - 02:49 PM

My 8 year old Yamaha 1103 receiver was hit by a surge today. Now it will power up, but after a few seconds there is a clicking noise from the speakers, and it shuts off. My question has two parts: 1) What might it cost to get it fixed? 2) If I don't get it fixed, how happy do you think I would be on a short term basis with a Harman Kardon AVR 135? I think I can get a pretty good deal on one.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 02:42 AM

Based on the age of the receiver, I think you'd benefit from an upgrade to a newer model as opposed to repair. However, if you're very attached to it, you may want to consider it and at least have it spec'd out by a repair shop. If you're considering an HK AVR135 as an interim solution, this would be a decent receiver for a budget consious decision. My question to you would be are you planning to use the receiver more for music or movies? In addition to this, what is the budget for a replacement receiver? There are a few other options you may be just as pleased with if not happier than the HK, but w/out knowing your budget, it's a little difficult to make any other suggestions in this area... -TD

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 03:40 AM

It would probably cost you at least $25 to get an estimate, which they would apply to the cost of the repair if you get it repaired. My guesstimate on the cost of the repairs, $125-$150. I can't really comment on the HK 135, don't know enough about it.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,525 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 01 2006 - 04:11 AM

The world of receivers has changed a fair bit lot in 8 years. Unless yours was a particularly high-quality receiver, I expect you'll be much better served by buying a new unit. Features like DPLIIx and 6.1 or 7.1 outputs can now be found in sub-$300 receivers. Slighlty more expensive products have multiple component-video inputs. HDMI connectors may even be affordable.

This was all rather pricey, if even available, 8 years ago Posted Image

(I marvel that my 6-year old Onkyo, which retailed for $800, is now outdone by today's $300 models.)

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin_D

Edwin_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 12:26 PM

Ok...I took the plunge and bought a refurb Onkyo 303 receiver from a place on Ebay. I know it isn't going to be my long-term main receiver, but it will get me by. My question is this: What mode is equivalent to straight DTS or straight Dolby Digital when I am watching a movie? The modes I am seeing are a little confusing. PL II Movie, Neo6:Cinema, and Direct seem like the likely choices, to me. Overall, apart from the lack of binding posts on the back, I am fairly pleased with my new acquisition. (My 12 gauge wire doesn't fit well into spring terminals).

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin_D

Edwin_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 12:26 PM

Ok...I took the plunge and bought a refurb Onkyo 303 receiver from a place on Ebay. I know it isn't going to be my long-term main receiver, but it will get me by. My question is this: What mode is equivalent to straight DTS or straight Dolby Digital when I am watching a movie? The modes I am seeing are a little confusing. PL II Movie, Neo6:Cinema, and Direct seem like the likely choices, to me. Overall, apart from the lack of binding posts on the back, I am fairly pleased with my new acquisition. (My 12 gauge wire doesn't fit well into spring terminals).

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Edwin_D

Edwin_D

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 13 2006 - 12:27 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users