Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is there a market for poster/lobby repros as DVD extras?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,209 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 02:44 PM

As I type this in my office I'm looking at a framed 27x40 one sheet reproduction of the original King Kong that was included as a bonus feature with the Kong DVD. Fox & Sony have very occasionally put postcard size still/lobby card repros with some of their classic titles.

Does anyone think that it is a viable business proposition for these studios to include these more often for their classic films? I wouldn't expect them to always be free as I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for a one sheet repro or an 8 card lobby set? Perhaps a postcard could be included with the DVD and sending that with a check for $x would get you the print.

Obviously this couldn't be done for every title, but I think Fox/Warners would be surprised how many people would buy poster art for The Maltese Falcon or a Charlie Chan or a popular noir film for example.

Or am I living in dream land?
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#2 of 9 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 11:58 PM

I love buying classics posters (either original or reprints) and would love to see this more often.

Count me in!

#3 of 9 Antonio S

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 02:05 AM

Possibly.
I have what appears to be a give-away or handbill for the world premier of the Blue Max hanging over my computer. (aviation fan) Heh, reserved seats are $2.50. Posted Image Theres another of Joan of Arc (Bergman) kicking around here someplace. 10x13. Both original.
Purchased some twenty years ago at a flea market. Wish I had more.

#4 of 9 Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 12:40 PM

As someone who has actually purchased some Anchor Bay DVDs just to get the included poster reproductions, I say yes, there is a market Posted Image

As I type this in my office I'm looking at a framed 27x40 one sheet reproduction of the original King Kong that was included as a bonus feature with the Kong DVD.

Congratulations...but someone should tell Warner that there is also interest in this free poster outside the US.

Posted Image to US-only bonus features...I did like the poster postcards that came with the Kong DVD though Posted Image

#5 of 9 Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 03:04 PM

Yup, count me in as well Steve. The inclusion of such material adds a touch of class to these vintage releases. I have a fair sized collection of one sheets (some repros and some rare originals) which I hang throughout the rec-room.

Like Bill, I'm also disappointed that these are not made available to those of us outside the U.S.

As an aside, wait till you see what's included in the upcoming The Searchers set - very impressive and very classy. A full review on the JW/JF Set soon to follow.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#6 of 9 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted May 25 2006 - 03:11 PM

I'm a big fan of original poster art, and was happy to have them included in several recent Fox purchases. More...more...

#7 of 9 Mark Philp

Mark Philp

Second Unit

• 302 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 05:21 PM

Little poster reprints in DVDs don't really do much for me. They only make me want the full size ones. It would be nice to have a coupon in the case to send in for a full size poster, but that will never happen.

#8 of 9 ToddJ

ToddJ

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 02:00 PM

My King Kong poster got a little bent in the tube....does anyone have a phone number to call for WB to get a replacement?

#9 of 9 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 30 2006 - 03:03 PM

I love stuff like this. It gives me flashbacks to when I was a kid and the theatre owners would post the lobby cards on the windows of the lobby. With The Towering Inferno, I remember seeing the lobby cards in the theatre, so it was a real trip in the wayback machine.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert