What's new

Is there a market for poster/lobby repros as DVD extras? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
As I type this in my office I'm looking at a framed 27x40 one sheet reproduction of the original King Kong that was included as a bonus feature with the Kong DVD. Fox & Sony have very occasionally put postcard size still/lobby card repros with some of their classic titles.

Does anyone think that it is a viable business proposition for these studios to include these more often for their classic films? I wouldn't expect them to always be free as I would be willing to pay a reasonable price for a one sheet repro or an 8 card lobby set? Perhaps a postcard could be included with the DVD and sending that with a check for $x would get you the print.

Obviously this couldn't be done for every title, but I think Fox/Warners would be surprised how many people would buy poster art for The Maltese Falcon or a Charlie Chan or a popular noir film for example.

Or am I living in dream land?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I love buying classics posters (either original or reprints) and would love to see this more often.

Count me in!

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Possibly.
I have what appears to be a give-away or handbill for the world premier of the Blue Max hanging over my computer. (aviation fan) Heh, reserved seats are $2.50. :D Theres another of Joan of Arc (Bergman) kicking around here someplace. 10x13. Both original.
Purchased some twenty years ago at a flea market. Wish I had more.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has actually purchased some Anchor Bay DVDs just to get the included poster reproductions, I say yes, there is a market :)

Congratulations...but someone should tell Warner that there is also interest in this free poster outside the US.

:thumbsdown: to US-only bonus features...I did like the poster postcards that came with the Kong DVD though :)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Yup, count me in as well Steve. The inclusion of such material adds a touch of class to these vintage releases. I have a fair sized collection of one sheets (some repros and some rare originals) which I hang throughout the rec-room.

Like Bill, I'm also disappointed that these are not made available to those of us outside the U.S.

As an aside, wait till you see what's included in the upcoming The Searchers set - very impressive and very classy. A full review on the JW/JF Set soon to follow.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I'm a big fan of original poster art, and was happy to have them included in several recent Fox purchases. More...more...

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Little poster reprints in DVDs don't really do much for me. They only make me want the full size ones. It would be nice to have a coupon in the case to send in for a full size poster, but that will never happen.

ToddJ

Second Unit
My King Kong poster got a little bent in the tube....does anyone have a phone number to call for WB to get a replacement?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I love stuff like this. It gives me flashbacks to when I was a kid and the theatre owners would post the lobby cards on the windows of the lobby. With The Towering Inferno, I remember seeing the lobby cards in the theatre, so it was a real trip in the wayback machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks