What's new

MGM Lion (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I thought i remember reading that MGM's, WHEN THE LION ROARS was to be released on DVD. Does anyone know if there are possibilities or is it wishful thinking.
Thanks.
bob

Corey

Screenwriter
This was from an interview that Robert Harris from The Digital Bits with George Feltenstein in October 2004:

RAH: Anything to report on When the Lion Roars?

GF: We have that ready to go. We had that ready to go about two years ago, and we're trying to find the right way to release it… You know if you just put it out on its own you're not going to make enough to support it. It's got to be part of a promotion, something in line with a release with a number of classic MGM films which haven't been on DVD yet… there are so many…

Corey

Screenwriter

hopefully WB will release it next year since they will be having a big promotion with movies that were never released on home video or dvd i.e. caged or queen of outer space.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Has anybody heard anything about this?

I would love to watch this documentary in it's entirety. Personally, I think this is every sellable as a unit item as the "That's Entertainment" boxset.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Do you think that there might be some issues with Sony? The MGM logo is now owned by them, so I think that Warner and Sony might have to work something out.

I would like for this to come to DVD. I paid 60 dollars for this from Half.com and I greatly enjoy it. My favorite part is the 3rd one: "The Lion In Winter". It's interesting to see how MGM tried to keep holding on until 1986. I wish they hadn't rushed through the 80s, though. MGM was still releasing good movies around that time ("Fame", "Pennies From Heaven", "Victor/Victoria", "Pink Floyd: The Wall"...Stuff like that), so they could've discussed those in mor detail.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If and when this comes to DVD, how about using the TCM "Word Of Mouth" interstitials as bonus features?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
They could release it as a special double-feature with "Here's Looking At You Warner Bros' which was never issued individually.

I think this would be a great idea considering the likelihood that the other films from the box set in which it was offered exclusively, are either scheduled or highly likely to be reissued as part of actor/themed box sets in the near future (Bogart, Flynn, etc), making the previous set unecessary.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Part of the buyout of the MGM film library by Turner included the free use of the MGM logo. That's why there's hundreds and hundreds of MGM films put out by WB that have the original logos intact.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
If "MGM : When The Lions Roars" comes out I hope as extras they include the shorts "Some Of The Best" & "The MGM Story" & "Lionpower". SOme of the Best has the entire footage of the stars seated for the dinner for the 25th anniversary. The That's Entertainment extra does not include this full scan of the stars. Also maybe Turner owns "Hollywood The Golden Years: The RKO story" that would be a good pairing with "When the Lion Roars"

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
What about the Fred Astaire documentaries '" Putting on His Top Hat" which was about the Astaire / Rogers films and Change Partners and Dance which is about the rest of his film career and included scenes from his TV specials with Barre Chase. You would think with the complete Astaire/Rogers set coming out that at least the first documentary would be included. There are many Turner documentaries that have not made it to video yet. They could do a promotion just on the documentaries. They could call it the history of Hollywood or something equally trite.

Corey

Screenwriter
I hope Warners has a big promotion of MGM films coming soon. There are a lot of them like:

-Trader Horn
-Min & Bill
-Viva Villa
-The Barretts of Wimpole Street
-The Merry Widow (1925, 1934, & 1952)
-Smilin Through
-Ah Wilderness
-A Guy Named Joe
-The Citadel
-Conquest
-Waterloo Bridge
-White Cliffs of Dover
-The Human Comedy
-The Brothers Karamoz

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I purchased this on Laser Disc 12 or more years ago. I just brought out my Laser Disc player from the closet and hooked it up to my DVD recorder. "When the Lion Roars" is at the top of the pile to watch this weekend. On laser the quality is beautiful. I can only imagine how nice it would look on DVD!

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Another purchase here when it comes.

I too think the set would sell by itself, just as That's Entertainment did.

I also think the set would serve another purpose: it would almost be one long advert for MGM titles that can be bought on DVD. You see a clip or two and think, I must buy that on DVD!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I was about to agree with this post until I realized that I'd written it!

Good minds think alike...

I really wish both of these docus were issued standalone since the Warner film is only available with the Legends set, which is largely out of stock at most retailers and many of the films have since been issued in more enticing packages...

And I've been waiting years for the MGM film to see the light of day; I don't understand why it should be taking so long if it was prepped and ready for release years ago...

There's been many vehicles to attach this to in the past year. Why the wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks