Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

travelling with sat radio

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Len Cheong

Len Cheong

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 08:36 AM

If I go down to the USA or other places in the world, what happens to my xm?
len cheong

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,699 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 09:49 AM

Len, As long as you are in the coverage area which includes the entire United States and (I am guessing) Canada, you have XM coverage. As far as I know, XM does not cover any other region of the world.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 11:39 AM

In Europe they have a service called Worldspace which is partially owned by XM.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Len Cheong

Len Cheong

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 07:26 AM

What about Hawaii? Will I get coverage?
len cheong

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 30 2006 - 12:42 PM

Greetings XM in the northwest regions of BC starts to become rather weak and is prone to dropping out quite a bit. Did that test a few weeks back driving with both XM and Sirius ... I figure the XM satellite is closer to the eastern seaboard high above the equator as a result. Sirius is closer to central north america ... for a footprint. As a result ... no XM in hawaii. My new Nissan car owners manual states that the XM/Sirius sat option for the car is not available in Hawaii ... Guam Regards Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 03:42 PM

XM have two sats geosynchonous over the equator. Sirius has three sats which orbit around the US. That means that you are more likely to get a signal from sats with Sirius, since they are overhead, and the XM sats are more on the horizon. XM makes this up by having more repeaters. This is why you are more likely to lose Sirius going under overpasses. Jason

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Devin U

Devin U

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 06:31 AM

from what Ive seen, Sirius is better up north due to the orbiting sats. XM can be gotten as far as the artic circle, but only one sat (so 1/2 the programming, the music), and you have to be stationary, it wont work with the unidirectional car antenna, just the home antenna, since you can aim it better. As far as going south, Ive heard XM comes in perfect till about Belieze, then you have fade outs.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   RomanSohor

RomanSohor

Second Unit

• 360 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 05:13 AM

For what it's worth, I couldn't get any reception on Maui this past january.
Roman Sohor, CTS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users