What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wedding Singer - Totally Awesome Edition (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
2_ _ [b]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Is the audio crackling that pervades the first release gone?

In the opening credits song there was a bit of it.

Thanks!

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
And here is yet another let's release the same movie with hardly any new content yet add a slap happy silly subtitle name just to get Joe Six Pack to buy it all over again. Picture and sound don't sound much different from the original release either. I think I will pass on this one. Thanks for the review however just to give me heads up.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I never did get around to buying the original release, so I'll gladly pick this up. Thanks to TBS, and their commitment to repetitiveness, I've seen this many times over the past couple of years. Therefore it should be easy for me to pinpoint where the extra 5 minutes of footage were integrated. I agree that Sandler and Barrymore have amazing chemistry, which makes this and "50 First Dates" 2 of my favorite romantic comedies. I really wouldn't mind if they made a 3rd film together. Hell, it worked for Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I didn't notice any on the new version, but didn't remember that problem with the original release.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Wow, that is a pretty paltry amount of extras, especially for something so fantastic as a "Totally Awesome Edition".

Geez.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
If there's nothing to write home about it, might as well pass it up even though I pawned my original off about a year ago. Like Andrew said, this one is on TBS once a month--if not more.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, apparently there's 5 minutes of new footage? Not that I think it needs it, but for me, who was on the fence (especially with no word on whether the crackly audio was fixed) this might get me to buy it (especially with the cheap street prices).

Beau

Supporting Actor
I really liked this movie. I think of it as the original "I Love the 80's". 5 minutes of extra fottage sounds interesting, but I think I'll wait till it goes down to under $10 before picking it up.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya, I'd normally wait for under $10 too, but at $12.99, I'm also an "instant gratification" sort of guy, so I'll pay the extra $3 to get it today (though I'm sure in 2-3 months it will be $9.99 or 2 for 20).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay quick update. The extra 5 minutes is one scene with the old woman he gives singing lessons to, and IMO it is hilarious!

The video does look to be an improvement. DVD mastering has advanced enough that it isn't a surprise, though I can't tell if it's a new film master it's taken from.

The sound is also good. I did hear George Titcher (sp?) crackle once in the beginning, but I think it's because he overloaded the mic (singing "right round, round, roung"). The rest of the movie sounds very good.

Is it worth the upgrade? Up to you to decide. I found the extra 5 minutes and the improved A/V to be worth it, but I admit that I love this movie. $12.99 at Best Buy isn't bad, and I'm sure it will be cheaper in a few months.

If you haven't picked up the first DVD and liked this film, pick this up now!

Edit - despite having pretty lame extras, the trailer is funny too (I hadn't seen it yet)...

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Wait a minute....wasn't the first release non-anamorphic? If so, that makes this one a no-brainer for an upgrade.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
True, but this release also rectifies one omission from the original release, which was the original trailer, which is now included on this new release. I'm considering getting the new release just for that.

I admit that I'm a trailer junkie; I can't help it.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I too am a trailer junkie. Every week all my friends get together to watch movies and I always have trailers for stuff we're gonna be watching soon. Which is why all movies should have their trailers! Who's with me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks