Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Shazam" Coming to the big screen.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 of 47 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 01:59 PM

DC's superhero Shazam (Captain Marvel) is coming to the big screen. This is from the Hollywood Reporter.

Quote:
Peter Segal to Direct Shazam!
Source: The Hollywood Reporter April 13, 2006

Peter Segal (The Longest Yard, 50 First Dates) has come aboard to direct Shazam! -- an adaptation of a DC Comics' comic book series featuring Captain Marvel -- for New Line Cinema. The Hollywood Reporter says Segal also will produce along with Michael Ewing via their Callahan Filmworks.

The comic series focused on young Billy Batson, who becomes the superhero known as Captain Marvel when he utters the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world as well as their attributes: the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Atlas, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury.

Writers on the long-gestating project include William Goldman and Bryan Goluboff.

A couple of questions though....

-I am sure they waited to get Superman out.
-How will the movie be? Comedy or serious?
-Surprised New Line is doing it and not Warner. I believe Warner owns New Line. But, I am still surprised they would do it.

Now who do you cast?

-Patrick Warburton (but, he is getting up their in age, especially if they plan on doing sequels.

-Evan Marriott (Joe Millionaire) Got the look, but can he act?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 47 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 13 2006 - 02:28 PM

I'd cast Shaquille O'Neal!

Never mind. I'm thinking of Kazaam. I didn't want to think about Kazaam.

#3 of 47 JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 02:31 PM

#4 of 47 Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,471 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted April 13 2006 - 02:32 PM

Sounds like it'll be a comedy (I'm going off their choice of director).

Patrick Warburton would be perfect.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 47 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,629 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 04:23 PM

For Billy Batson, you could go with Logan Lerman (Bobby from "Jack and Bobby" on the WB last year, and the upcoming film "Hoot") or Carter Jenkins (Miles from "Surface on NBC this season).

For Captain Marvel, you could go with Tom Welling (how about that for inspired casting?) or Adam Baldwin, or Matthew MacFayden (Mr. Darcy on "Pride and Prejudice").
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 47 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 14 2006 - 12:18 AM

I just can't see Hollywood getting this movie right. It takes a very specific blend of superheroic action and whimsical, child-like humor and hardly anyone's managed that since the 1950's.

#7 of 47 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 14 2006 - 07:49 AM

JoSAN's post has very good (and correct) information. In the original press release Captain Marvel is referred to as a "DC" character, when, in fact, he was very much competition for DC (and, as JoSAN notes, actually outsold Superman).

The reason for the name change to "Shazam" had to do with later realities. Marvel Comics had invented its own "Captain Marvel" in the late 1960s and when DC tried to revive its old nemesis, it had to change the name of the book in which he appeared.

#8 of 47 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 14 2006 - 08:22 AM

After The Longest Yard? No, thanks.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#9 of 47 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted April 14 2006 - 11:05 AM

I hope they do this right, as I would love to see Captain Marvel-one of the most whimsical and entertaining of the comic book heroes, and more popular than either Batman or Superman during WWII-regain his rightful place as one of the top Superheroes. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#10 of 47 Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 01:42 AM

Quote:
I just hope the movie will be called "Captain Marvel" (the super-hero's name) and not "Shazam!"
Marvel owns the rights to the Captain Marvel name.

#11 of 47 CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
I just hope that the script has nothing to do with DC's version of the character. Let's see the original Fawcett Comics hero again. In those comics he wasn't just a Superman clone, he was a unique hero that was just the right mix of action, fun and whimsy. In fact, the Marvel Family comics line - which included Whiz Comics, Captain Marvel Adventures, Master Comics, Captain Marvel Junior, Wow Comics, Mary Marvel, and Marvel Family - regularly outsold DC's hero, including Superman. That's why DC tried for 12 years to sue Fawcett, because it was so successful. Today, super-strong guys in tights and a cape are a staple, back then DC tried to own the concept.

Well JoSan you have a lot of correct info, but I respectfully disagree with the way you want to see the film go. C.C. Beck's vision of the character was great for the World War II era, but that time is long over and the last thing this potential frachise needs in the era of serious super-hero films is Tawky Tawny the talking tiger or Mr. Mind, the talking worm.

Oh by the way, Marvel is a Superman clone, look no further than the captain's arch nemesis Dr. Thadeus Bodog Sivanna, if that character isn't a Luthor wannabe than I don't know what is. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Captain Marvel, I own the Tom Tyler 1940 serial, and every year I go to the San Diego Comic-Con I pick up a few copies of the 1970's Filmation live action series that starred Jackson Bostwick and then John Davies. Personally I like Bostwick more than Davies ( and yes I'm a big Isis fan).

But I honestly feel that if Supes had never existed there probably wouldn't have been a Batman, let alone Captain Marvel. So let's give credit where credit is due, Superman is the wellspring from which all super-heroes come from, especially Captain Marvel, so the man of steel righteously deserves all the credit he can get. And because Superman is the inspiration for all super-heroes I can understand why D.C.was a little peeved at Fawcett Comics, although I don't know if taking them to court was the best of ideas.

Arguably, Captain Marvel's greatest popularity came from the 70's live action Saturday morning series. Now that's not saying I want to see a 2008 version of Mentor and Billy Batson driving around in a Winnebago on the back roads of California, but there will ultimately be comparisons.

For a new Captain Marvel film to succeed, it is definitely going to have to distinguish itself from Superman and not in a light hearted (ala' C.C. Beck) comedic way either. And if Dr. Sivanna is the main villain, distinguishing Captain Marvel from Superman is going to be that much more difficult. To me, the only villain right now that would be a logical choice is BLACK ADAM, and honestly he should be saved for a potential sequel.

Anyway, I hope this forum doesn't turn into a Captian Marvel vs. Superman forum, they both are great characters, but with Singer's film on the horizon, it's going to really take some clever writing to make Captain Marvel work.

#12 of 47 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 12:25 PM

Quote:
Oh by the way, Marvel is a Superman clone, look no further than the captain's arch nemesis Dr. Thadeus Bodog Sivanna, if that character isn't a Luthor wannabe than I don't know what is

Sivana actually predates the first appearance of Lex Luthor. Sivana first appeared in WHIZ COMICS #1 in February, 1940; Luthor first appeared in ACTION #23(May, 1940) and had a head of red hair for his first few appearances.

#13 of 47 CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Sivana actually predates the first appearance of Lex Luthor. Sivana first appeared in WHIZ COMICS #1 in February, 1940; Luthor first appeared in ACTION #23(May, 1940) and had a head of red hair for his first few appearances.

Hey Larry, I guess according to you and wikipedia, I definitely stand corrected. Thanks for the info. Of course over the years, Lex has far surprassed Sivana in popularity and as far as the general audience at large is concerned they are still going to see Sivana as a rip off of Luthor. Although Sivana pre-dates Luthor by three months one still can't deny Superman's influence on Marvel.

As a matter of fact, as a child one of the reasons I always picked Capt.Marvel as my favorite super-hero was because he was like Supes in many ways but at the same time he was also very different. So many of my friends liked Superman, that I wanted to find someone different but just as powerful. Marvel definitely filled that void. Plus I loved the Saturday morning series. After the show was over, I would tie my grandmother's old scarf around my neck and pretend that I was Captain Marvel. Posted Image

#14 of 47 Norm

Norm

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 02:18 PM

If they go the comedy route count me out.

#15 of 47 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted April 16 2006 - 04:03 AM

Quote:
Of course over the years, Lex has far surprassed Sivana in popularity and as far as the general audience at large is concerned they are still going to see Sivana as a rip off of Luthor

That's very true, but that's because Cap's comics were cancelled in the early fifties, and Luthor was given an interesting character arc during the Weisinger era in the comics. Not to mention Luthor was in the sixties cartoons, the Superfriends series, and the tremendously popular Christopher Reeve movies. But I think Sivana is definitely different than Luthor, with his crazy laugh and his weird offspring. The only similarities are that both characters are mad scientists, and are bald.

#16 of 47 JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 06:57 AM

#17 of 47 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 05:52 AM

DC just did a 4 issue mini-series that showed the first meeting between Superman & Captain Marvel. In it you can see the difference between them...not including the differences in abilities. What we are shown is that while Cap is an adult. He still has the mind of a young boy....Spoilers for those who don't want to see it..
In the story a hit team sent by Silvana shoots at Billy. While, he is able to transform to Cap and survive. His best friend is hit and subsequently dies. Now, since he caught the bad guys. Most mature thinking heroes would have allowed the police to do their job. Instead, he looses control and breaks into the police department and starts to assualt one of the hitmen until he talks. All infront of shocked police officers. In the end Superman comes and calms him down. And then at the end of the series. Supes (As Clark Kent) comes to talk to Billy as a mentor to try to help.

What I am saying is that you can do a Cap movie that is different from Superman. Yet, not be a comedy or spoof.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#18 of 47 JoSAN

JoSAN

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 07:00 AM

#19 of 47 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted April 25 2006 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSAN
I do disagree with the heavy-handed characterization of that scene you mention, however. While it is true that Cap has the mind of Billy Batson, Billy was a mature-minded young man. That is the prime reason why he was chosen by the wizard Shazam to be worthy of the mantle of Captain Marvel. Plus, as Cap, Billy is imbued with the wisdom of Solomon.

Also true. But, this story was the first meeting of the two. So Billy was new to his powers and younger. And while he may have wisdom. He is still mentally a child and is not always in control of his emotions. For example when you see some of those kids who are 10 and in college. They may be very smart academically. Socially they can be a bit challenged.

#20 of 47 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 25 2006 - 09:35 AM

"Arguably, Captain Marvel's greatest popularity came from the 70's live action Saturday morning series. Now that's not saying I want to see a 2008 version of Mentor and Billy Batson driving around in a Winnebago on the back roads of California, but there will ultimately be comparisons"

This is my concern. I can totally see them basing the movie on this. While I'm sure this show was awesome in the 70's (I remember comics based on it, as opposed to the actual show, or am I thinking if "The Thing"?), it's just about the last Capt. Marvel movie I'd want to see. But looking at the directors creditentials, this could easilly be the way the movie goes. My reasons:

The Direcors credits (IMDB)
Get Smart (2006) (announced) (attached)
Dealbreaker (2006) (announced)
The Longest Yard (2005)
50 First Dates (2004)
Anger Management (2003)
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000)
My Fellow Americans (1996)
Tommy Boy (1995)
Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)

And this is going to be Newline, as opposed to warners, so it probably wont have the budget required to make a decent flick. It well however have the budget to be a kid friendly (not in a good Capt. Marvel way, but in a "Kazaam" kinda way) mass marketed comedy, most likely self referential to the 70's show, with a few dick jokes to make an unrated DVD.

Not that I want to be too negative or anything, but after hearing rumors of a comedy "Green Lantern" and "Aquaman" films, I can totally see Warners dumping Captain Marvel to the comedy superhero fates, as he's not an iconic DC hero.

I am hoping that this well be done right: a fun superhero movie, that's lighthearted, without making the heroes clowns. It looks like Singers Superman is going to be a little gloomy, "Captain Marvel" would be the perfect counter.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow